• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What about the prepros tested? Is there any chance that their measurements might have been affected?
The Arcam AV40 maybe. I did not test Monoprice HTP-1 with HDMI so that is good. Same with Emotiva RMC-1.

Since i have the JBL SDP-55 which is the sister product to AV40, I will get to test it again and make sure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you. That answers my question as well (3.1 config). Would it be possible to confirm if the issue still exists in the x3700h when you test it?
I am pretty sure it will but yes, I will test.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but it's also good to note that this Denon would work just fine for a two-channel setup if using TOSLINK inputs, analog inputs, etc. I don't think too many people do 2-channel audio over HDMI.

In general though, yeah, this made me think very lovingly about the simple two-channel amps in my life. :)

LOL! My "upgrade" from plain and simple stereo (2.0) system to adding a center channel for 3.0 (no subwoofer) happened 60 years after my upgrade to stereo in 1960, which happened two years after assembling my first monaural (1.0?) HiFi system in 1958 while I was still in high school.

Since there is nearly zero market for 3.0 (or 3.1) multichannel systems, this upgrade required me to go with at least a 5.1 AVP because intermediate numbers of channels aren't available, and even 5.1 units are rare these days so I bought an IOTAVX 4K, 7.1 AVP with built-in room correction DSP. AFAIK, Denon never offered a "basic" AVP, and their older AVP-A1HDC is a complex and expensive monster with about one hundred connections on the back with many modern AV features which are of no interest to me.

[I wrote more in this response, but wandered off-topic, and moved my further comments to the thread about my new 3-channel system - LINK.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Pre-Out (amplifier ON) shows a clipping starting at 1.4V.
What is the volume setting that gives 1.4V at the pre-out (amplifier ON)?
To me it will be the Max volume setting usable for the center channel.

tparm

Forum Donor
The Pre-Out (amplifier ON) shows a clipping starting at 1.4V.
What is the volume setting that gives 1.4V at the pre-out (amplifier ON)?
To me it will be the Max volume setting usable for the center channel.
If I may add on to your post, @amirm what is the max clean signal to pre-outs in full pre-amp mode?

tparm

Forum Donor
You mean you want me to test all the outputs???
No no! But in full pre-amp mode (all channels disconnected) the X4700 clips at 1.1V? The X3600 was good way over 2V if I recall?

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
Panther grew a head back.

We now know panther may be related to:
83900F6A-32CB-4EC0-A111-D023D715EA8A.jpeg

tparm

Forum Donor
Since I am not driving anything but the two front channels, whether the rest of the amps are off or not should make no difference.
You haven't answered the question. In 11CH mode the X3600 didn't clip until close to 4V for the LR channels? And the X4700 clips at 1.1V? Call it 11CH or full pre-amp, not sure it matters.

D700

Well now that you have a hotline, let's test the PM7000N, that's on my hotlist.

Vasr

Major Contributor
That's my understanding.

I am dying to see what the PR statement will be because you know they won't admit publicly there was a bug that they had to fix (unless someone really high up overrules them). :)

It will be something like "We have worked with ... to investigate the discrepancy between our measurements which showed the unit to be as good as any of our previous units and the measurements at ... We take all feedback seriously and strive for absolute best performance in all of our products. The x4700h performs with no problems just as our measurements have always indicated when used in recommended configurations. External measurement tests which involve configurations that do not always reflect real-life usage can often show undependable results. We are confident that our units perform to the highest standards when used in real situations". And just maybe in the end "To ensure that we prevent any such misunderstandings in the future we will make sure that our units provide dependable results even in such test scenarios with a future firmware update."

:D

tparm

Forum Donor
I am dying to see what the PR statement will be because you know they won't admit publicly there was a bug that they had to fix (unless someone really high up overrules them). :)

It will be something like "We have worked with ... to investigate the discrepancy between our measurements which showed the unit to be as good as any of our previous units and the measurements at ... We take all feedback seriously and strive for absolute best performance in all of our products. The x4700h performs with no problems just as our measurements have always indicated when used in recommended configurations. External measurement tests which involve configurations that do not always reflect real-life usage can often show undependable results. We are confident that our units perform to the highest standards when used in real situations". And just maybe in the end "To ensure that we prevent any such misunderstandings in the future we will make sure that our units provide dependable results even in such test scenarios with a future firmware update."

:D
Is it possible to bring a product to market that works perfectly in every configuration? Not meaning to sound critical, but I'm not sure it is. I think Denon built a perfectly good product for 90% of it's audience. Maybe 98%. Know what I mean?

Orbit

On the 4700h is the pre-amp disconnect an option for L/R mains under all configurations or does it require 11.1 speaker setup? In other words could you do pre-amp disconnect for the front L/R but use the receiver amps for the other channels with a 9.1? I thought i remember Phil saying the L/R pre-amp disconnect was only an option in 11.1 mode for the 4700h.

tparm

Forum Donor
On the 4700h is the pre-amp disconnect an option for L/R mains under all configurations or does it require 11.1 speaker setup? In other words could you do pre-amp disconnect for the front L/R but use the receiver amps for the other channels with a 9.1? I thought i remember Phil saying the L/R pre-amp disconnect was only an option in 11.1 mode for the 4700h.
There are two different scenarios; 11CH mode, disconnects LR channels for use with external amp and pre-amp mode which disconnects all internal amps meaning you must use external amps for all your channels. These settings are found in the amp assign menu. You can choose actual speaker config in the speaker set up menu so it doesn't through Audyssey off (only measures the speakers you actually have connected).

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm I take it Denon engineering contacted you directly? Did anybody in other parts of the organization put their word in? Marketing and so on?

I wonder how many engineers have read ASR reviews of their product and felt restrained to comment on them in an official capacity. Very impressive to see Denon engineers working with you. You're clearly being noticed by the industry.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm I take it Denon engineering contacted you directly? Did anybody in other parts of the organization put their word in? Marketing and so on?
I sent out a note to them and a few days later Rainer Finck from EU Denon/Marantz contacted me. He used to work at Philips semiconductor group so was very technical which was great. Next link was Denon engineering in Japan. Towards the end, my contacts expanded across the board from Denon Japan to Sound United corporate people and execs. I did not interact with any pure marketing or PR people but maybe some wear that hat as well.

We plan to keep the relationship going in the future which is nice.

tparm

Forum Donor
Since I am not driving anything but the two front channels, whether the rest of the amps are off or not should make no difference.
Comparing these graphs. I guess in practice they aren't that far off.

Attachments

• X3600 2V.PNG
    X3600 2V.PNG
    399.7 KB · Views: 270
  • X4700 1V.PNG
    X4700 1V.PNG
    599.6 KB · Views: 278
Top Bottom