• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Vasr

Major Contributor
I agree, but it's also good to note that this Denon would work just fine for a two-channel setup if using TOSLINK inputs, analog inputs, etc. I don't think too many people do 2-channel audio over HDMI.

It also seems to work if the source sent the audio over as Stereo over HDMI from what Amir has posted.

But I disagree with the second statement. Quite a lot of video content has 2.0 audio only.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes and no. AVRs that can't turn off their amps are limited by the amp clipping. What noise HDMI adds is immaterial in that configuration.
What about the prepros tested? Is there any chance that their measurements might have been affected?

WCWkr6WEffgdfh9023

As you see, the best performance is around 1.1 volts which produces over 100 dB SINAD (dashboard uses 2 volt output so gets lower SINAD). With the amp turned on, the highest you can go is 1.4 volts before clipping occurs and performance drops precipitously. So make sure to look up the specifications for your external amplifier to see what its "sensitivity" is that generates its maximum power. If it is below 1.4 volts, then you are good.

...still bad news for Hypex NC400 owners though

index.php

tparm

Forum Donor
Seems there are still a lot of inquiring minds out there.... However, how often will someone a) use an AVR for two channel only (meaning using only two channels and not having other speakers connected to the unit) and b) if they do, send it a multi-channel signal over HDMI? This was an error in testing, I don't know that it would happen frequently in reality. I think you'd have all your speakers connected and use the new 2-channel mode for your stereo listening.

bigguyca

So for us non-sciency folk, if you own an X4700 operating in full pre-amp mode and have nine speakers connected to external amplifiers and two powered subs, use analog input for two channel listening and HDMI for multi-channel only, don’t care about gaming or 8K TV, you’re good. Do I understand this correctly?

It would be best to use Direct or Pure Direct for the analog input or the two-channel signal will go through an ADA cycle, plus the signal might go through the digital attenuation, analog attenuation cycle mentioned in a previous post since there is no sub. Based on the Level Diagrams for the L/R channels with no sub, that may be the case. Keeping the signal analog will avoid all this.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems there are still a lot of inquiring minds out there.... However, how often will someone a) use an AVR for two channel only (meaning using only two channels and not having other speakers connected to the unit) and b) if they do, send it a multi-channel signal over HDMI?
(a) I do ... I need HDMI switching and room EQ
(b) any time I play a BD

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to ask if someone can summarize the best configurations for listening to 2 channel music vs. multi-channel home theater and how one might set up those two different scenarios for best quality.

Here is what I'm thinking about setting up but want to get clarity. So please educate me on the below idea.

1) For multi-channel home theater:
  • HDMI in from source of your choice.
  • Use all the amps internally or full pre-amp or front L/R external amp assign and use your choice of all external amps, front L/R external/or all internal your choice .
  • Use the audessey room correction and eq software for that configuration.
2) For 2 channel or 2.1 channel music avoid using the AVR DAC and amps. Use it for audessey and pre-amp.
  • use separate streaming endpoint or transport of your choice.
  • use external DAC of your choice
  • Analog in to AVR
  • Use audessey room correction and eq software second memory slot for 2 channel configuration
  • Use front L/R pre-outs
  • use 2 channel external amp of your choice

tparm

Forum Donor
It would be best to use Direct or Pure Direct for the analog input or the two-channel signal will go through an ADA cycle, plus the signal might go through the digital attenuation, analog attenuation cycle mentioned in a previous post since there is no sub. Based on the Level Diagrams for the L/R channels with no sub, that may be the case. Keeping the signal analog will avoid all this.
What if you set up your listening mode for 2CH to also use subs? I like that feature on the 4700/6700 that you can quickly switch between; Custom 2 CH main zone settings (using FL/FR or dedicated Front B; LARGE/SMALL; crossover settings, sub – on/off, distance, level).

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
On the off chance they're reading: thank you Denon. I look forward to buying many more Denon receivers in the years to come. It's proof that not only are the 3600 and 4500 excellent products, but that the company really does care about producing good respectable performance in their products and does take engineering and measurements seriously.

+1

tparm

Forum Donor
I'd like to ask if someone can summarize the best configurations for listening to 2 channel music vs. multi-channel home theater and how one might set up those two different scenarios for best quality.

Here is what I'm thinking about setting up but want to get clarity. So please educate me on the below idea.

1) For multi-channel home theater:
  • HDMI in from source of your choice.
  • Use all the amps internally or full pre-amp or front L/R external amp assign and use your choice of all external amps, front L/R external/or all internal your choice .
  • Use the audessey room correction and eq software for that configuration.
2) For 2 channel or 2.1 channel music avoid using the AVR DAC and amps. Use it for audessey and pre-amp.
  • Analog in to AVR
  • Use audessey room correction and eq software second memory slot for 2 channel configuration
  • Use front L/R pre-outs
Great, I am glad you posted this as it will be my set up; Monolith 5X (out of stock until July 10), 2 Emotiva A-150s, pre-amp mode, Audiolab 6000N via analog in.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..]

• Analog in to AVR
  • Use front L/R pre-outs
This makes no sense. If you use room EQ the analog signal will be digitized by the AVR and send through its DSP and DAC. You should get rid of the additional DA/AD conversion and feed the AVR directly with the digital signal.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This makes no sense. If you use room EQ the analog signal will be digitized by the AVR and send through its DSP and DAC. You should get rid of the additional DA/AD conversion and feed the AVR directly with the digital signal.

Thanks for clarifying.

Newman

Major Contributor
Congratulations to Denon as a company, as well as to the product for its good result.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good work @amirm Hopefully Denon looks at this as a great bonus to them for you discovering a flaw in their software. Are they planning on working on fixing it via firmware?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If the AVR is configured without the center, just two channel and the sub, will the "mix-down" issue occur?
Yes. It will create noise until you have all 8 channels configured (as the input). If you just have 6 for example, you still get some degradation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good work @amirm Hopefully Denon looks at this as a great bonus to them for you discovering a flaw in their software. Are they planning on working on fixing it via firmware?
That's my understanding.

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
Yes. It will create noise until you have all 8 channels configured (as the input). If you just have 6 for example, you still get some degradation.
Thank you. That answers my question as well (3.1 config). Would it be possible to confirm if the issue still exists in the x3700h when you test it?

Top Bottom