• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale D320/D300C + IOTAVX 4K 7.1AVP Combo

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This will be an introduction to my VSR (Very Small Room) "upgrade path" for my simple budget audio/video system, and I will return to it to have discussions and answer questions, and post changes and subsequent impressions - and hopefully, some REW or similar basic in-room frequency response measurements. My goal is to continue to have excellent audio, and and add the clear and intelligible dialog that the use of a center channel is said to offer. My retirement budget and very small room do not allow for even a 5.1 system, much less one of the new high channel count immersive audio systems.

The D300 series of loudspeakers from Wharfedale is new, and borrows technology from their successful Diamond line of speakers. Since Amir has not tested these yet, I have no idea how they measure, and just took a chance. Most of the conventional speakers from good companies that are measured here seem to be good sounding, especially with a bit of DSP EQ. These speakers are bottom ported, and not rear-ported like the Atoms. They sit up on little feet - and they work well very close to the front wall. With the addition of an extra pair of 5" mid-bass drivers up front thanks to the center-channel speaker, I hoped I might get a bit more bass performance since I don't have a subwoofer.

Below is a picture -with and without grills - of the D320's and the Paradigm Atom v.6 bookshelves they replace. Soundwise, it's probably not much of an actual upgrade, but I like the look of the D320s - and the fact that they are bottom ported. Plus, the high-quality rosewood woodgrain vinyl finish - or whatever it is Wharfedale uses on the D300 series - looks much nicer than the cheaper looking cherry woodgrain vinyl of the Paradigm atoms. I bought Wharfedales from MusicDirect in the U.S. for $199/pair, plus the D300C center for another $199. Shipping to my forwarding service in Miami was free. Their customer service was great, and there were no issues in verifying the details for shipping the two cartons to to Miami for forwarding to Panama. It took two weeks to get to my doorstep, and the packages plus the speakers inside were in excellent condition.

Wharfedale vs Paradigm Bookshelf Speakers.JPG

Previous system - 2.0 channels (L/R, no subwoofer):
  • Source: Synology NAS or internet > Intel NUC5CPYB (a 6 y/o Celeron model) which boots to either LibreELEC/Kodi, or Daphile for music audio only.
  • DAC: Topping DX7s, USB in, XLR out
  • Amplification: Classé Model 70 vintage (~1993) stereo Class AB amplifier, 70wpc@8Ω
  • Speakers: Paradigm Atom v.6 Bookshelf, no EQ
Stage One upgrade: 3.0 channels (L/R/C, still no subwoofer)
  • Source - no change
  • DAC/Processor: Replace Topping DX7s and USB, XLR out with an IOTAVX 4K 7.1 AV processor/preamp and HDMI in, XLR out.
  • Amplification: Classé Model 70 for L/R, Fosi MO-2 (TPA3116 chip, NE5532 op-amp) mono amplifier (Temporary amp for center channel.)
  • Speakers: Wharfedale D320 L/R, D300C center channel - IOTAVX's "EQFlex" digital room correction used
I Purchased the IOTAVX 7.1 4K AVP direct from IOTAVX in the UK, and the price in USD via PayPal was $906, including shipping to Miami in the U.S. Ian Vermeulen, the owner, isn't very responsive and did not respond to my email inquiries about shipping. However, a week later, the package shipped and I received timely automated tracking information. When all three boxes - the speakers and the AVP - arrived at our regional capitol 25 miles down the mountain, I had them delivered to my doorstep, and the total forwarding cost from Miami to Boquete was $234.

My impressions of the design and construction of the IOTAVX 7.1 4K component are in agreement with Amir's impression of the IOTAVX SA3 integrated amplifier. Very nice and well-constructed, solid black case with a large display and dimmable lighting of the display and the logo, and the surrounds around the power switch and volume control. The unit includes a calibration microphone and a built-in DSP system than call an "EQFlex automatic room correction and loudspeaker equalization system".

I connected the HDMI in and out cables, the L/R/C xlr outs to the amplifiers, skimmed the manual, plugged it in, and turned it on - and nothing. I finally figured out how to go through the Kodi menus to configure what channels I had and didn't have, and what features (Dolby surround, etc.) to enable, and then went through the IOTAVX 7.1 4K on-screen setup menus where everything was pretty simple and logical. And now everything worked.

By now it was late, and I decided to watch a movie - nothing heavy - just light entertainment. So I watched Steven Spielberg's live/animation hybrid movie "Ready Player One". It's about a future where everyone was connected much of the time hooked into global virtual reality game, and I had it in MP4/1080p/5.1 format. The sound was clean and strong - but voices - even the female lead - sounded muddy and bloated, and the center wasn't helping with dialog clarity. I made it through the movie, but the next afternoon, I ran the really user friendly IOTAVX EQFlex DSP room correction process.

IOTAVX 71 Front.jpg

IOTAVX 71 Rear.jpg

IOTAVX 71 Inside.jpg

Then I played some music. At first, it sounded a bit thin, and then BOOM - some deeper bass played and it blew me away. Apparently I had been listening to serious low mid-range and bass bloat, and now that was gone, and deeper bass than I ever imagined could come from my speakers. I spent the next two hours listening to music - everything from synthesizer to pipe organ to acoustic guitar to 70's rock and more What a difference. Over the next few days, I will see if I can use the IOTAVX mic to run REW and see what the before and after response is in my room. Only then will know if me ear/brain pair is telling the truth. I also skipped through the Ready Player One movie again, and the bloat as gone and the dialog was much easier to understand. Before I went to bed, I watched the movie "Midway" and it sounded great - explosions and all, including dialog that was very easy to hear. Not once did I feel the need to cup my ears with my hands or crank up the volume to understand the dialog.

Amplification - and a custom media center/stand over the next few months will finish this round of upgrades for me. I will have identical 100wpc@8Ω amplification for all three channels soon, but I don't expect amplification to make any audible changes in the system. I already have a XLR version Ghent stereo case for the ICEPower 200ASC/200AC modules, and a mono case for another 200ASC is on the way to me from China. I've ordered a 60w soldering kit from Amazon. PartsExpress says that the 200ASC modules will be back in stock tomorrow, and that will complete my acquisition of hardware for the upgrade.

I will post again after I do some in-room measurements, and whenever I am inspired by my experiences with my new system, but for now, I am very pleased. going to eat dinner and watch another movie.

IOTA_7003_1984x2156.jpg

IOTA_7007_1496x2116.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is my current temporary media stand setup with the LCD TV feet up on stacks of books to make room for the center channel speaker. It's not pretty, but it works. I have ideas for a really cool media stand, and custom woodworking/furniture making is pretty inexpensive down here in Panama.

DVH New AV System - June 2020.JPG

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have a XLR version Ghent stereo case for the ICEPower 200ASC/200AC modules, and a mono case for another 200ASC is on the way to me from China. I've ordered a 60w soldering kit from Amazon. PartsExpress says that the 200ASC modules will be back in stock tomorrow, and that will complete my acquisition of hardware for the upgrade.
Wowowow. You are really diving in to a DIY project. :D

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some measurements of the D320
https://www.hifitest.de/test/bildergalerie/lautsprecher_stereo/wharfedale-d320_19400/4#b
By the way, what is the size of your very small room?

Thanks for the link - I used Google translate to read the article/review, and apparently they liked it:
Conclusion
The wonderful, compact 2-way speaker D320 from Wharfedale inspires with the best workmanship and amazingly good sound. For the small budget, the little Brit is definitely a perfect entry-level in hi-fi. With a price of less than 200 euros, the very accurate and neutral D320 is therefore an absolute buy recommendation!

My room is 12.5ft. x 8ft with a 7.5ft ceiling

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a little smaller than the room I am trying to upgrade (no video). But I'm wondering about the part regarding EQFlex and the bass in the D320. You didn't want to use a sub? I want small speakers in my room (plan to use Salk WOW1 on fireplace mantle) and I also don't want a big sub. I am hoping that the solution that will work for me is a little sub cube with dual 8" drivers. Pinnacle makes (made?) these and I got one on ebay for cheap.
Edit: the drivers on the little sub are just 6.5". Hmmm. But still I think it will make a positive difference.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody know of spinoramas for the Wharfdale D310 or Diamond 11.0?

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: This is a re-post and expansion of a reply I posted in the Denon 4700 AVR thread...

My "upgrade" from plain and simple stereo (2.0) system to adding a center channel for 3.0 (no subwoofer) happened 60 years after my upgrade from to stereo in 1960, two years after assembling my first monaural (1.0?) HiFi system in 1958 while I was still in high school.

Since there is nearly zero market for 3.0 (or 3.1) multichannel systems, this upgrade required me to go with at least a 5.1 AVP because intermediate numbers of channels aren't available, and even 5.1 units are rare these days so I bought an IOTAVX 4K, 7.1 AVP with built-in room correction DSP. AFAIK, Denon never offered a "basic" AVP, and their older AVP-A1HDC is a complex and expensive monster with about one hundred connections on the back with many AV features which are of no interest to me.

As far as amplification goes, I've never understood why the AV industry does not offer modular Class-D amplification with ICEpower or Hypex modules that plug in and connect with molex connectors. (Nord, Apollon and others do have some up 2-3-4 channel expandable/configurable amplifiers, but I have not seen any expandable multichannel amplifiers from "mainstream" manufacturers.)

I am currently using LibreELEC/Kodi on an older Intel Celeron NUC5CPYH HTPC, and no longer dual boot to Daphile (headless operation only) for audio. Kodi allows excellent control over how many channels and many other customization features for A/V, and was easy to configure for my IOTAVX AVP, and should be able to be configured just as easily for a Denon AVR. However, in spite of a number of requests for headless music mode for Kodi, the development community has never considered that a priority, and its headless options are limited to Linux hacks.

One nice thing about my 3.0 channel system is that I use a stereo power amplifier for L/R and a monaural amp for the center, so I can switch off the center amplifier with its front power switch. I don't use a subwoofer in my tiny room, and the extra two 5" mid/low drivers in the Wharfedale D300C center speaker ad a bit of "fullness" or "bass energy" to music . This "synthesized" center channel works for recordings of some types of music, but messes up the soundstage and imaging on other recorded music that was mastered in stereo to enhance those aspects of the listening experience.

Yes, two channel, old-fashioned stereo music systems can be simple - but still complex to "tune" properly with some combination of speaker placement, room treatment and DSP. Just like the "old days", however, I am still not attracted to the ultimate simplification - an AV receiver like the Denon AVR-X4700, and prefer separate components with respect to source, preamp and power amp.

Indeed, for now, I have a perfect set of components for my current requirements and desires. Although not technically superior, the internal DAC and DSP capabilities of my multichannel AVP are good enough to lead me me to decide to sell my Topping DX7s DAC/HA since I don't listen to headphones. If I ever decide to "upgrade" my two channels for music only, I will get a SOTA USB DAC like a Topping D10, and use it to feed one of the two RCA line-level inputs of the IOTAVX AVP.

Top Bottom