• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harmonics and Formants in the Human Voice: An Overview

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m starting this thread at the request of a member after a series of comments in another thread regarding this graph:

1588541853064.png

The graph, with no title and insufficient labels, is a little misleading. It does not appear to be wrong, as it shows the harmonics of the voice and orchestra with a reasonable amount of accuracy. It does not, however, show the possible fundamental pitches produced by either singers or orchestral instruments, nor does it indicate that only singers using western “art music” techniques (so-called bel canto singing technique) will be able to produce the strong formants (not harmonics, more on this later) in the 3 kHz range.

(Begin Edit): The second potential issue is we might not all be as aware as we should of what vocal ranges exist and what our speakers should be able to accurately produce. I hope to clarify what someone might expect to hear from recorded voices, including fundamental frequencies (the singer's "range"), as well as the unique way singers are able to manipulate the way the harmonic series is presented. (End Edit)

Why should you believe what I have to say? Without going into unnecessary detail, I have a doctoral degree in music and my main profession for the past two decades has been music professor. I am currently teaching choral and vocal courses at one of largest universities in the US. If you desire further reading on the subject, I would direct you to the work of Scott McCoy, James McKinney, Barbara Doscher, Richard Miller, Ingo Titze, and Johan Sundberg to name a few. The McCoy text, Your Voice: An Inside View has excellent graphs, spectral analyses, and a multimedia component that are useful. Similarly, Miller’s Training Tenor Voices contains an appendix comparing spectrographs taken from famous tenors in notable passages from the repertory.

Where orchestral instruments are concerned, the matter is generally clear and straightforward. Anyone can look up a table of the ranges of orchestral instruments (from C0 at c. 16 Hz on a large pipe organ to C8 at c. 4186 Hz possible on several instruments). The harmonics that are emphasized for each instrument determine their characteristic sound. For example, clarinets famously emphasize every other harmonic with only odd numbered partials emphasized.

I will refer to “singers,” for the purposes of this writing, as classically trained, professional level singers utilizing the common western (bel canto aka “operatic”) technique. The lowest fundamental tone commonly called for in any voice part is low B-flat (c. 58 Hz) called for in the bass part of some Russian choral music (notably both the Rachmaninoff Vespers and Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom). Most bass arias in opera or oratorio don’t delve below the E or F above that (c. 82 or 87 Hz respectively). On the other end of the spectrum, the tenor high C that made Pavarotti famous as the “King of the High Cs” is at c. 523 Hz and the high F in Mozart’s Queen of the Night aria for coloratura soprano lies at c. 1400 Hz. This is around the limit of what would be expected for the highest tenor and soprano voices in western music. Some singers (both men and women) are able to access a so-called “whistle register” to reach notes higher than that (Mariah Carey, for example, uses whistle register to sing a reported high G-sharp at c. 3322 Hz in “Emotions”), but this makes up an exceedingly small percentage of the recorded repertory, and virtually nothing from the standard western “classical” canon.

Unlike typical acoustic instruments, the resonating space of the human voice is flexible. If one compares the voice to an acoustic guitar, the vocalis muscles are the analog to the strings—they vibrate, but without a resonator they are quiet and dull sounding. The body of the guitar is analogous to the throat and mouth (pharynx) of the singer (not the chest or sinuses—I won’t cite all the research here, but despite that fact that singers frequently claim to feel vibration in these locations, there are many studies that show these regions are NOT involved in sound production—that is, there is no such thing as “chest” in the sound in any literal way).

Different from a guitar (or nearly any other acoustic instrument), however, is the fact that the size and shape of the human pharynx is constantly changing. At any given pitch the harmonic series produced by the vocal muscles vibrating is much like that of any acoustic instrument. However, “formants,” which are not the same as harmonics, are produced by changing the physical characteristics of the column of air in the pharynx. Singers generally create three main formants: the first two create the vowel sound. You can experiment with this by closing your glottis, forming a vowel with your mouth, and flicking or tapping the fleshy part of your chin or cheek. You are hearing the first vowel formant. If you whisper a vowel you are hearing the second vowel formant. If you whisper them in order from the “brightest” to the “darkest” of the cardinal vowels: ee, eh, ah, oh, oo, you will hear the pitch descend with each vowel. All spoken or sung vowels must contain both formants. The pitches of these two formants fall within a very narrow range and do not change from person to person or vary by the pitch level of the fundamental tone. This is why when women sing very high notes it does not sound like a vowel anymore—they are singing pitches higher than the first (or sometimes the first and second) vowel formant. This is what makes vowel modification necessary, but I digress.

The third formant is commonly referred to as the “singer’s formant” and is an emphasis on whatever harmonic(s) lies near 3 kHz (technically between 2400 and 3200Hz). This emphasis can be quite significant, leading to a situation where the third formant sounds more strongly than the fundamental pitch. Despite this, we only hear the singer’s formant as a strong “ring” or resonance. Our brains do not confuse the singer’s formant for the fundamental pitch. In the best operatic singers, this formant is so strong that it sounds more loudly in that pitch range (c. 3000 Hz) than any orchestral instrument, thereby allowing singers’ voices to “carry” over the sound of an orchestra.

It should be noted that sopranos rarely produce the singer’s formant as the natural pitch of their voices does not require it in order to be heard. Also, singers who utilize styles that are not the western bel canto style do not typically produce the necessary harmonic content required for the singer’s formant to exist. For example, a singer producing a breathy sound (such as is frequently used in jazz singing) cannot produce a singer’s formant, nor can a singer producing a tense, tight, or pressed sound. Producing such a strong third formant while singing with a microphone for amplification would undoubted prove problematic anyway.

So, returning to the graph above, it shows only the harmonic content of the orchestra and only formants of trained voices singing in a classical style. We have seen that the lowest fundamental frequencies possible from several orchestral instruments and fundamental frequencies produced by many male singers are below what is shown in the graph. The graph also clearly shows a peak at the level of the singer’s formant, which is far beyond the range of most singers, regardless of training. The graph appears to be exactly correct, but without clearer labels and explanation it is confusing.

(After writing this post and pasting it here, I discovered that the title of the image is "formant-singer.jpg" thus appearing to confirm my view of what the graph is actually showing.)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read a few places that female fundamentals are out to around 3k or 3500 hz. Above that are harmonics. That seems to fit with recordings I've made. Some harmonics are there in extremely loud singing close miked to 15 khz or a bit more.

So I'm a bit unsure what the question or topic is.

A800

Thank you.
Very enlightening.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I've read a few places that female fundamentals are out to around 3k or 3500 hz. Above that are harmonics. That seems to fit with recordings I've made. Some harmonics are there in extremely loud singing close miked to 15 khz or a bit more.

So I'm a bit unsure what the question or topic is.
A fundamental tone at 3kHz or higher would be very rare indeed.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Although you said it's outside your area of study, what do you make of the following?
https://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-greatest-vocal-ranges

My take away if vocal range tells me nothing about his much I want to listen to the music they make.
That doesn’t seem unbelievable. I would want to know if this represents the highest and lowest notes these singers have ever produced, or if it represents a single session, concert, or day. Incidentally, I totally ignored falsetto singing in my original post.

edit: it appears this is the highest and lowest note in each artists recorded repertoire. That doesn’t necessarily seem legitimate to me. Another 20 years of wear and tear on my voice and I’m sure my range will change from where it was when I started my career.

Last edited:
OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I added a couple of sentences above which I hope do a decent job of explaining what my purpose is. It is clearly marked, but adds nothing to the content.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Interesting stuff, and definitely out of the ordinary. The Guinness world record for highest note sung by a male is over 5kHz in whistle register, which that example demonstrates. That is, demonstrates whistle register. I’m not sure how high he’s singing.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting stuff, and definitely out of the ordinary. The Guinness world record for highest note sung by a male is over 5kHz in whistle register, which that example demonstrates. That is, demonstrates whistle register. I’m not sure how high he’s singing.

Yeah I believe he's the one who holds the record. That note at the end seems to be an Eb8, though I'm not entirely sure what that means. E flat in the 8th octave? What would that be in kHz?

Pasjukov's bass note seems to be a G#1.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mk05

Forum Donor
View attachment 61754

The graph, with no title and insufficient labels, is a little misleading.
As you pointed out, there are certain intricacies and caveats to the chart. However, for a music science layman like myself, this chart was extremely helpful. In a quick 1 second scan, I was able to surmise an acceptable range for both orchestral and voice. That, and the chart also inspired further curiosity, which in turn, led me to read this entire thread.

Thank you guys

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m starting this thread at the request of a member after a series of comments in another thread regarding this graph:

View attachment 61754

The graph, with no title and insufficient labels, is a little misleading. It does not appear to be wrong, as it shows the harmonics of the voice and orchestra with a reasonable amount of accuracy. It does not, however, show the possible fundamental pitches produced by either singers or orchestral instruments, nor does it indicate that only singers using western “art music” techniques (so-called bel canto singing technique) will be able to produce the strong formants (not harmonics, more on this later) in the 3 kHz range.

(Begin Edit): The second potential issue is we might not all be as aware as we should of what vocal ranges exist and what our speakers should be able to accurately produce. I hope to clarify what someone might expect to hear from recorded voices, including fundamental frequencies (the singer's "range"), as well as the unique way singers are able to manipulate the way the harmonic series is presented. (End Edit)

Why should you believe what I have to say? Without going into unnecessary detail, I have a doctoral degree in music and my main profession for the past two decades has been music professor. I am currently teaching choral and vocal courses at one of largest universities in the US. If you desire further reading on the subject, I would direct you to the work of Scott McCoy, James McKinney, Barbara Doscher, Richard Miller, Ingo Titze, and Johan Sundberg to name a few. The McCoy text, Your Voice: An Inside View has excellent graphs, spectral analyses, and a multimedia component that are useful. Similarly, Miller’s Training Tenor Voices contains an appendix comparing spectrographs taken from famous tenors in notable passages from the repertory.

Where orchestral instruments are concerned, the matter is generally clear and straightforward. Anyone can look up a table of the ranges of orchestral instruments (from C0 at c. 16 Hz on a large pipe organ to C8 at c. 4186 Hz possible on several instruments). The harmonics that are emphasized for each instrument determine their characteristic sound. For example, clarinets famously emphasize every other harmonic with only odd numbered partials emphasized.

I will refer to “singers,” for the purposes of this writing, as classically trained, professional level singers utilizing the common western (bel canto aka “operatic”) technique. The lowest fundamental tone commonly called for in any voice part is low B-flat (c. 58 Hz) called for in the bass part of some Russian choral music (notably both the Rachmaninoff Vespers and Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom). Most bass arias in opera or oratorio don’t delve below the E or F above that (c. 82 or 87 Hz respectively). On the other end of the spectrum, the tenor high C that made Pavarotti famous as the “King of the High Cs” is at c. 523 Hz and the high F in Mozart’s Queen of the Night aria for coloratura soprano lies at c. 1400 Hz. This is around the limit of what would be expected for the highest tenor and soprano voices in western music. Some singers (both men and women) are able to access a so-called “whistle register” to reach notes higher than that (Mariah Carey, for example, uses whistle register to sing a reported high G-sharp at c. 3322 Hz in “Emotions”), but this makes up an exceedingly small percentage of the recorded repertory, and virtually nothing from the standard western “classical” canon.

Unlike typical acoustic instruments, the resonating space of the human voice is flexible. If one compares the voice to an acoustic guitar, the vocalis muscles are the analog to the strings—they vibrate, but without a resonator they are quiet and dull sounding. The body of the guitar is analogous to the throat and mouth (pharynx) of the singer (not the chest or sinuses—I won’t cite all the research here, but despite that fact that singers frequently claim to feel vibration in these locations, there are many studies that show these regions are NOT involved in sound production—that is, there is no such thing as “chest” in the sound in any literal way).

Different from a guitar (or nearly any other acoustic instrument), however, is the fact that the size and shape of the human pharynx is constantly changing. At any given pitch the harmonic series produced by the vocal muscles vibrating is much like that of any acoustic instrument. However, “formants,” which are not the same as harmonics, are produced by changing the physical characteristics of the column of air in the pharynx. Singers generally create three main formants: the first two create the vowel sound. You can experiment with this by closing your glottis, forming a vowel with your mouth, and flicking or tapping the fleshy part of your chin or cheek. You are hearing the first vowel formant. If you whisper a vowel you are hearing the second vowel formant. If you whisper them in order from the “brightest” to the “darkest” of the cardinal vowels: ee, eh, ah, oh, oo, you will hear the pitch descend with each vowel. All spoken or sung vowels must contain both formants. The pitches of these two formants fall within a very narrow range and do not change from person to person or vary by the pitch level of the fundamental tone. This is why when women sing very high notes it does not sound like a vowel anymore—they are singing pitches higher than the first (or sometimes the first and second) vowel formant. This is what makes vowel modification necessary, but I digress.

The third formant is commonly referred to as the “singer’s formant” and is an emphasis on whatever harmonic(s) lies near 3 kHz (technically between 2400 and 3200Hz). This emphasis can be quite significant, leading to a situation where the third formant sounds more strongly than the fundamental pitch. Despite this, we only hear the singer’s formant as a strong “ring” or resonance. Our brains do not confuse the singer’s formant for the fundamental pitch. In the best operatic singers, this formant is so strong that it sounds more loudly in that pitch range (c. 3000 Hz) than any orchestral instrument, thereby allowing singers’ voices to “carry” over the sound of an orchestra.

It should be noted that sopranos rarely produce the singer’s formant as the natural pitch of their voices does not require it in order to be heard. Also, singers who utilize styles that are not the western bel canto style do not typically produce the necessary harmonic content required for the singer’s formant to exist. For example, a singer producing a breathy sound (such as is frequently used in jazz singing) cannot produce a singer’s formant, nor can a singer producing a tense, tight, or pressed sound. Producing such a strong third formant while singing with a microphone for amplification would undoubted prove problematic anyway.

So, returning to the graph above, it shows only the harmonic content of the orchestra and only formants of trained voices singing in a classical style. We have seen that the lowest fundamental frequencies possible from several orchestral instruments and fundamental frequencies produced by many male singers are below what is shown in the graph. The graph also clearly shows a peak at the level of the singer’s formant, which is far beyond the range of most singers, regardless of training. The graph appears to be exactly correct, but without clearer labels and explanation it is confusing.

(After writing this post and pasting it here, I discovered that the title of the image is "formant-singer.jpg" thus appearing to confirm my view of what the graph is actually showing.)
Even I could understand (some) of this. Thanks!

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
As you pointed out, there are certain intricacies and caveats to the chart. However, for a music science layman like myself, this chart was extremely helpful. In a quick 1 second scan, I was able to surmise an acceptable range for both orchestral and voice. That, and the chart also inspired further curiosity, which in turn, led me to read this entire thread.

Thank you guys
One caution: the graph doesn’t show the range of the voice and orchestra, just the important overtones. It’s confusing in that way, which is what prompted me to start this thread. Thanks for reading it!

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

So one had better pay attention when one's spouse drops the soft-spoken act, and reaches for that third formant.

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Although regrettably totally unschooled in music, for me the human voice is the most superb, absorbing, enchanting, compelling musical instrument there is. A product of evolution of voice and hearing in the human species.

Last edited:

mk05

Forum Donor
@Alexanderc - I am still trying to understand the concept because I fear I may be missing the point you were making. Frequency range shows a range, and I figured it was captured in the graph.
One caution: the graph doesn’t show the range of the voice and orchestra...
Maybe what you were arguing was the obscure value of the Y-axis? Admittedly, I am simply focused on the X-axis, in order to make sure I will have equipment that can accurately reproduce this most important range - with some safety at both tails. Perhaps what the Y-axis would tell me, is importance of sound power and distortion values of my equipment at the heights of the Y-axis values.

Top Bottom