• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
WTF! It's enough to link them here to get 13€ more expensive?! We should test them maybe then they get cheaper again! ; )

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This budget thing is realy interesting couse the jbl 305 are at 107€ each here. But they are active. So for a passive speaker, at the same price, you should perform better or at least the same. Hard times for the competiton brands i think.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If a pair of $200.00 speaker are duds no loss of consequence however if a pair of $10,000.00 speakers are duds you have a problem.
It makes no sense from a cost reward ratio to spend $100,000.00 to test $200.00 speakers as a goal.
You could make the same argument about sub $200 DACs and headphone amps, but that's probably the most tested price range here, and some of them measure close to the best tested. Until there's some test data we won't know whether speakers will be similar, or more like power amps where you need to spend a bit more to get the performance.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Elac Uni-Fi UB5

There aren't many other 3-way coaxial bookshelf speakers that routinely go on sale for $300-350 a pair. It would be interesting to see what you get in a 3-way coax you can buy from Best Buy at that price point.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Many of those speakers are not available in Europe. From the better ones on the European market I am thinking of the smaller Wharfedale Diamonds or QAcoustics. We have some QA 3010 in the bedroom and they are quite OK. They cannot hold a candle to my Harbeth P3ESRs but they are better than the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 that we had before one of them failed. I would certainly be interested to see any of thse measured (not that I plan to buy any more speakers).

Last edited:

lewis

I am thinking it may make sense to buy a few budget but popular speakers to test. Or alternatively members buying and donating them to be tested. :)

So what is "in" these days as far as budget speakers? I am thinking under $200 for a pair.

I know it's over budget. Neumann KH 80 DSP is very promising and good value as it includes power amplifiers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Neumann KH 80 DSP is very promising and good value as it includes power amplifiers.
That is being loaned to me already. :)

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
HMMM

looking for a 2.0 bedroom system in exactly this price range. have definitely been considering the hivi and the partsexpress kits. if i build one i'll send one in for measurements. the overnight sensations look like they could be a fantastic deal with some internal damping. the br-1 is also a super quick build.

IoT devices would be a fantastic baselie. it would be great to get the basic sonos mono speaker and the amazon echo plus measured.

Crandall

Without a doubt the Micca MB42X. Polk T15, and a bunch of Klipsch (different generations) are popular.

For powered: Micca PB42X, Edifier R1280T, and Edifier R1700.
I second(or Third+, haven't read through this thread) the MB 42X simply because it would make EQ'ing my set further a little easier.

Top Bottom