• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just spent an evening listening to the Kali LP 6 actives, which surprised me as to how good they were for the modest cost. They clearly have some limitations in the bass, quality more than extension, but otherwise sounded fine. I'd love to see some measurements, mainly to see if my subjective impressions have a basis in reality.

S

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Although that raises an interesting question: companies like SVS and Ascend Acoustics offer X-day free trials for the purposes of auditioning the equipment. Amir, is that something you'd consider taking advantage of for some of the online-only brands?
I have always avoided this on principal. Ditto for buying and returning to Amazon. But members have so you all can do it. :) Arrange with me in advance so i can test them during eval period and I can ship back to the company/store if you don't want to keep it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've just spent an evening listening to the Kali LP 6 actives, which surprised me as to how good they were for the modest cost.
I bought these and is supposed to come on Saturday I think.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I picked the low price point so I can buy them if no one else wants to. It is not meant to be a recommended price tier. But we may find the best among them.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
To further confuse matters, you could - still for under $200 - look at pair 'arrays' of inexpensive speakers like the $22 Dayton B652 AIR:

Single:
T
W

Double tower: (3 arrangements)
W. W. T
T. T. W
W. T. W
T. W. T

Horizontal.
WT
TW

Etc.

Compare all hooked up bi-amp..

Furthermore, you could 'displace' one speaker relative to the other, first horizontally, then radially.. (reinforcement, cancellation effects)

Why not? Seems many 'towers' simply double the woofers over bookshelf, then charge 4x the bookshelf..

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
ELAC Debut 2.0 6.2 (I assume these were named by committee ;) )
I have a vested interest, in this case. Bought a pair when they were on sale cheap (late fall 2018) and I am still trying to decide what I think about them.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/elac-debut-2-0-b6-2-an-ongoing-review.4433/

1579304262007.png

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am thinking it may make sense to buy a few budget but popular speakers to test. Or alternatively members buying and donating them to be tested. :)

So what is "in" these days as far as budget speakers? I am thinking under $200 for a pair.

I would very much like to see these measured!!! Giant killers or darlings of the press???

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Home Audio Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Set of 2)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NCD2LG
$114 a pair.

[Edit: Note that's two [now three] [now four] [now something more than 4] votes for the Pioneers!!!]

Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System (Pair) - Black
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O8YLMVA
$148 a pair.

[Edit: We‘ve got at least five votes for the Sonys.]

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pioneers and Elac Navis ARB-51 from Andrew Jones.
Yamaha HS5 and HS8.
KRK Rokit RP5 G4.
Adam A5X.
Audioengine A5+.
Dynaudio LYD7.

Edit: Oops 200usd a pair, these are higher...

SMc

NHT SuperZero (or stretch the budget for SuperOnes) for the “subwoofer required” category.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanna get the new Elac Ref that just came out recently. MSRP is $599 though.
Saw a pair of demos on Audio Adviser for $100 off and might get them.

Wonder what the cost from Texas to WA state is though.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Over budget, but the entry level Kefs, when on sale, or buying refurb, get close enough to budget.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
By all means test those AJ Pioneers, but we'll need a new panther- no arms, legs, head or tail. Just a shattered torso perhaps. Maybe just a fragment of pink ceramic.

Top Bottom