• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

mjgraves

gvl

Major Contributor
Just play the music louder to drown it out.:)

I've had my tinnitus for quite a few years now. It actually got me back into listening to music because I got bored with listening to the tinnitus.

Yup, I still enjoy listening to music and it helps to tune away, but I had to reconsider my attitude towards sound fidelity.

ads_cft222

Can’t find a study between lossless vs 320kbps . Do you have any links ? I am interested in the statistics

Monster

Yup, I still enjoy listening to music and it helps to tune away, but I had to reconsider my attitude towards sound fidelity.

My tinnitus is a pure tone at around 5.2 kHz which I seem to sort of filter out when I'm listening to music. It has not affected my attitude to sound fidelity.

I am one of those people who can, despite the tinnitus, hear a difference between Spotify 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis and true lossless, red book, 16/44.1 CD quality, but I think my experience may be a bit more subtle and nuanced than Pearljam5000's experience on this.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can’t find a study between lossless vs 320kbps . Do you have any links ? I am interested in the statistics

The difficulty of finding successfully documented tests could perhaps be a clue in itself. :) Even hearing the difference between 128kbps MP3 and lossless is very difficult on most tracks. 384kbps OGG Vorbis is way better.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
All I was saying was that I hear a difference , that's it, I really don't understand everything that came after that, anyways like I said let's agree to dissagree

You are of course free not to discuss it, so that is fine. But you have been very active on this forum for quite a while, so I was just surprised that you were surprised, that is all. :)

goat76

Major Contributor
My tinnitus is a pure tone at around 5.2 kHz which I seem to sort of filter out when I'm listening to music. It has not affected my attitude to sound fidelity.

I am one of those people who can, despite the tinnitus, hear a difference between Spotify 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis and true lossless, red book, 16/44.1 CD quality, but I think my experience may be a bit more subtle and nuanced than Pearljam5000's experience on this.

Wasn’t it a new treatment for tinnitus that is supposed to work, I remember I read about it somewhere but don't remember where.

gvl

Major Contributor

I “think” I can hear some differences as well, but they strike me as very minor to the point I realize I don’t really care. It’s funny but despite that I have both Spotify and Qobuz subscriptions, don’t ask my why :)

gvl

Major Contributor
Wasn’t it a new treatment for tinnitus that is supposed to work, I remember I read about it somewhere but don't remember where.

All tinnitus treatments are supposed to work but they really don’t.

Monster

From everything I've read, there isn't really a cure for tinnitus but there are various coping mechanisms and practices that work for some people. For me, listening to music helps when the tinnitus becomes too intrusive.

Svet Angelov

There's nothing to be excited about because apparently no one can hear the difference between MP3 and lossless;)
Maybe not no one.. but I for sure can't. I once did 7 or 8 rounds of ABX testing flac vs 320kbps and it became apparent that I couldn't tell the difference. Both on headphones and on an active loudspeaker setup.
I'm in it for the bigger & arguably better library vs Tidal (which is what I am currently using when not listening to stuff I bought on Bandcamp//EDIT: or downloaded off soulseek heh).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Maybe not no one.. but I for sure can't. I once did 7 or 8 rounds of ABX testing flac vs 320kbps and it became apparent that I couldn't tell the difference. Both on headphones and on an active loudspeaker setup.
I'm in it for the bigger & arguably better library vs Tidal (which is what I am currently using when not listening to stuff I bought on Bandcamp//EDIT: or downloaded off soulseek heh).
Soulseek is still alive ?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I got mine last Fall, the silver lining it cures you from audiophile worries :)
wait -- are y'all talkin' about silver or tin? Now I'm confused.
This thread is so mercurial.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
V70gQTq.png

Top Bottom