• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 282 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I never built a speaker but why would it be impossible to simulate and then (ear)tune on a trial and error basis after experimenting decades with this? I mean, what is the point of letting that 700Hz boost if you are aware of it? I don't think this is an area where you want to add "character" even if your goal isn't flat.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Well again to be clear, I'm not defending Tekton, I just think for anyone who has never designed a speaker the following viewpoint may help.

Reality is it is just so easy to do real measurements and quality nearly free solutions exist that are reasonably accurate, even extremely accurate in the right hands.
I highly doubt they skip them and just can't see that happening.
I think it is more likely either a contactor handles it or Mr Alexander simply doesn't want to reveal them. I could think of several reasons why he did not ultimately reveal them, including that they correlate fairly well with the Klippel.

I have to say every good design uses various simulations. Quite frankly with good simulation software using real, quality measurements of the raw drivers you get very accurate results. Even simulating different cabinets and everything you can think of. Lots of very useful stuff happens in simulation and loads of time is saved. Then you confirm what you have of course. I'd bet most manufactures spend a lot of their time in simulations.
That's all good, but not the point. The point is not about how this speaker was designed, but how the designer/manufacturer responded to a review of that speaker. There would be no issue whatsoever if Mr. Alexander had simply said something like

That's OK. I wouldn't expect my speakers to measure particularly well on such a device. I design for what I consider is good sound in real rooms rather than technical excellence in a sterile setting. I've been doing this for decades and I have many satisfied customers who seem to like what I do.

Instead, we had an attack on the measurements themselves and those who made them.

Tangogod

The latest from Erin. But wait, does not "simulation" mean "theoretical" ie not real world?

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 7.35.58 AM.png

Dave Bullet

I never built a speaker but why would it be impossible to simulate and then (ear)tune on a trial and error basis after experimenting decades with this? I mean, what is the point of letting that 700Hz boost if you are aware of it? I don't think this is an area where you want to add "character" even if your goal isn't flat.

Simulation normally means taking raw driver measurements, and using a simulator to generate a system response for frequency and impedance based on the crossover added to the simulator.
Garbage in / out applies. That is, if accurate, reflection free measurements are taken of the raw drivers in box, with consistent drive levels and mic placement, then the simulator should be able to get within ~>= 95% of the final measured response of the speaker.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I wonder if he remembered to put those pesky feet on before he took his measurements :rolleyes:

The saying “Let your feet do the talking” seems appropriate here.

Dave Bullet

Is that with feet in or out?

;)
Haha both. "You put your left foot in, your right foot out". It's called the Hokey Tokey measurement method.

rynberg

Forum Donor
The Zu's I heard were distinctly 'odd' to put it politely and not especially pleasant to enjoy the music reproduced (this before i saw measurements of their speakers).
I was part of a blind cable test many years ago and the sponsor used some Zu model in the $15-20k/pair price point (keep in mind this is 15-20 years ago). They were very colored.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The latest from Erin. But wait, does not "simulation" mean "theoretical" ie not real world?

View attachment 364006
He's simply creating a version of reality (=lie) where he can be right and can't be challenged. Manipulation 101. Note "I have simulations and a new pair", "measurements spot on", but hasn't provided any evidence that can be countered, analyzed, or even looked at. I hate dealing with people like this.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

View attachment 364006

Fu*+ could someone translate me this to easy english?? What does he say?

The measurements of Erin are spot on with his three year old simulations but not with his new builds ????

Pls have mercy, iam german pls could someone translate to easy english? I dont get this. :(

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fu*+ could someone translate me this to easy english?? What does he say?
Eric is claiming that he built a new set of the same speakers, and measured those speakers, and the measurements match a simulation he did 3 years ago, but they do not match Erin's measurements.

What is important to notice here, is that no measurements were actually provided.

Top Bottom