• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1 foot solid silver conductor interconnect vs. 0.5 foot Mogami W2964 interconnect

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That short they would measure the same assuming one was not defective.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Depends on connector and build quality. But if both are well built they would almost certainly be measurably and audibly the same given these lengths. Personally I would pick the Mogami, since it's a well made and reliable cable.

Zek

Major Contributor
Just one small note - the Mogami W2964 cable is a 75 ohm coaxial cable, which is mostly for digital connection.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just one small note - the Mogami W2964 cable is a 75 ohm coaxial cable, which is mostly for digital connection.
Thanks should have looked at that. Please ignore my earlier post, not sure, apples to oranges. Strange question then.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
With analog audio interconnects, the central conductor (RCA) or conductors (XLR) can be:
solid Gold, Gold plated Copper, solid Silver, Silver plated Copper, Copper, super duper Copper or Copper Clad Aluminum.
They will all sound and measure the same.
Differences (if any) will be in the noise and interference areas. (which has nothing to do with central conductor material)
Many if not most quality analog coax cables will have a 75 Ohm Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance.

Last edited:

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not that impedance really matters, because with RF connections (and typically digital) the impedance is matched at both ends, where as a typical audio connection can have an output impedance from ~0 ohms to 10k ohms, and an equally variable input impedance depending on the device - this could range from 1k ohms to 100k ohms and even 1meg ohm in the case of some valve equipment.

Therefore it's not going to make any difference so long as the cable doesn't have a stupidly high impedance (which it shouldn't have anyway).

It only matters with RF and coaxial digital connections (which of course are high enough in frequency to be regarded as RF).

3125b

Major Contributor
All of the above.

It is true that silver is the best (metallic) conductor at room temperature, it has about a 5.7% higher conductivity than copper.
That is not a big difference though, considering how much cheaper copper is. At lower frequencies just use a larger gauge wire.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Notes:
the Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance doesn't come into play at frequencies much below one megahertz. (unless your cables are miles long)
The central conductor can be a very small thickness or high AWG number, because the load is in the neighborhood of 10,000 Ohms.
The center conductor can be solid or stranded. The dielectric can be any reasonable insulator.
For radio frequency or digital cables there is a very different set of requirements.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked this because these are the two cables I have on hand. WBC cables use Mogami 2964 which is marketed as an analog cable.
Well, I was to quick to answer because studies show that if well constructed, a wire is wire. There very little difference between run of the mill and ultra-high end power, speaker and interconnect cables.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Most audio cables are 75-ohm impedance, but as others have said that only matters for RF frequencies. At audio all that matters is the bulk resistance and capacitance unless you have hundreds or thousands of feet of it between components. It is cheaper for companies to stock just one cable for audio and video, and most video systems are 75-ohm impedance, so companies do a bulk buy of 75-ohm cable and use it for audio and video cables.

W2964 uses a larger center conductor than some other miniature cables so lower loss, again only an issue for RF (video) or extremely long runs. https://mogamicable.com/category/bulk/video/subminiature_miniature/

Silver is about 20x the price of copper and about 5% more conductive; note copper is the second most-conductive metal in general use (after silver) and that 5% is akin to the germ on the flea on the dog. For example, 100 feet of W2964 would be about 5.5 ohms compared to 5.225 ohms if it was solid silver, and for the same cable construction the capacitance would be the same for both cables. For one foot, the difference is 0.055 ohms Cu compared to 0.05225 ohms Ag.

So for practical purposes the answer is "neither one would cause degradation at audio frequencies".

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even thin and cheap as hell RG58 which I use for marine RF installations only has -1dB attenuation per 100 feet @ 10 MHz.

We are talking about nothing by the time we get down to 20KHz at single digit meter lengths.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I would pick the one that is more flexible, so the Mogami. But honestly there's no difference so whatever.

I'm just curious more why the OP thought this was a valid question....

The first step towards critical thinking is to doubt own's current knowledge. I too was young once believing in cable and shizzz.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The first step towards critical thinking is to doubt own's current knowledge. I too was young once believing in cable and shizzz.
I meant more the OP laying out his reasons for thinking so to start with....he just offered up troll bait more than anything.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The OP posted in a previous thread that he (she, it, they, whatever) could tell the difference between silver and copper cables, and preferred silver over copper for tubes and copper for SS. Hopefully this thread is the start of learning why and why not.

Top Bottom