• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 282 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This whole Bose lawsuit keep coming up, so I did a simple Google search on it.

"Bose Corp. v. Consumers Union of United States, Inc., 466 U.S. 485 (1984), was a product disparagement case ultimately decided by the Supreme Court of the United States. The Court held, on a 6–3 vote, in favor of Consumers Union, the publisher of Consumer Reports magazine, ruling that proof of "actual malice" was necessary in product disparagement cases raising First Amendment issues, as set out by the case of New York Times Co. v. Sullivan (1964). The Court ruled that the First Circuit Court of Appeals had correctly concluded that Bose had not presented proof of actual malice.

The magazine Consumer Reports had published in 1970 a review of an unusual[clarification needed] loudspeaker system manufactured by Bose Corporation, called the Bose 901. The review expressed skepticism of the system's quality and recommended that consumers delay purchase until they had investigated for themselves whether the loudspeaker system's unusual attributes would suit them. Bose objected to numerous statements in the article, including the sentences, "Worse, individual instruments heard through the Bose system seemed to grow to gigantic proportions and tended to wander about the room. For instance, a violin appeared to be 10 feet (3.0 m) wide and a piano stretched from wall to wall." Bose demanded a retraction when they learned that Consumer Reports changed what the original reviewer wrote about the speakers in his pre-publication draft, which the magazine refused to do."

@Eric Alexander - Good luck :). You're all bark, no bite. Bow wow wow, woof woof woof.

Thank you for digging up this information. I was puzzling over how this differed from defamation of a person. The interesting part is actual malice is required which is comparable to the rule for defamation of a public figure. Actual malice means the defendant had to know what he was saying was not true.

This thread has wandered into some interesting things.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing of the sort, to summerise this preticular discution on electro acoustics, If I was in the market for an amplifier and Amir gave a bad review of the amplifier that was on my list, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. Speakers are a different animal.
I have a Crown XLS 1502 which got a not recommended from Amir. Some time later he reviewed an XLS 2502 and gave it a recommended rating. The two amps are indistinguishable other than one has more power. If you look around there are long threads from happy owners of the XLS 1500, which has the same guts as the XLS 1502 and some different connectors. I trust Amir, but no single reviewer is the last word on anything.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for digging up this information. I was puzzling over how this differed from defamation of a person. The interesting part is actual malice is required which is comparable to the rule for defamation of a public figure. Actual malice means the defendant had to know what he was saying was not true.

This thread has wandered into some interesting things.
Another precedent is the Elon Musk defamation case where he was sued for calling the British caver who helped with the rescue of 12 Thai boys trapped in a flooded cave "pedo guy" on social media. Musk won in this case.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another precedent is the Elon Musk defamation case where he was sued for calling the British caver who helped with the rescue of 12 Thai boys trapped in a flooded cave "pedo guy" on social media. Musk won in this case.
Actually, it's a different cause of action. Musk was sued for defamation of a person. Bose sued over product disparagement. The rules are different.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an interesting lesson to be learned here for audio manufacturers. This was an 8 page thread back in October, 2023 that had gone dormant in just a few weeks. This past February, the manufacturer decided to get involved and complain. After legal action was threatened the thread is now 21 pages long with the majority of forum members riled up over his behavior.

Going forward, any prospective buyer interested in Tekton who does a Google search for reviews is going to be lead straight here. Is this the publicity Tekton wanted? (EDIT -- I just did a Google search for "tekton mini lore review", this thread comes up as #1 in the returns. DuckDuckGo has it as #6.)

What's the old saying? "Be careful what you ask for. You may get it."
Otherwise known as “The Streisand Effect”.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just want to re-emphasize this.

Ken White has pursued many anti-SLAPP actions pro bono

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So there is a Facebook group called Tekton Design Speakers Worldwide, Eric Alexander is an admin in that group.

Look what he does, he bans people from that group when they say anything that is not a praise or in the defense of him or his company.

This Facebook user said: "Any speaker designer that doesn't welcome evidence has something to hide or isn't a real engineer." Then he was subsequently banned from the group, presumably by Eric Alexander.
1712361331611.png

EDIT: The actual user who made this comment on FB, commented here, stating that he left that Tekton group his own accord. It is important that I make this clarification, so that we here on ASR are not discredited.

Last edited:

rynberg

Forum Donor
So there is a Facebook group called Tekton Design Speakers Worldwide, Eric Alexander is an admin in that group.
Notice that the original poster "Alan" states that "a great sounding loudspeaker is a blend of science and art" (coincidence that Eric uses the exact same language?) and then claims that "scientists poo poo on the art and focus on the science to produce a dud of a speaker". Notice how he ignores the corollary that "artists poo poo on the science and focus on the art to produce a dud of a speaker"?

Why does our world have such little critical thinking?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't much care about this topic by now. Look at my posts and I have neither defended the speaker nor the designer at all.
But let me also say I find it peculiar the moderators for once are not warning people to not post off topic on a product review.
I am not a moderator, but I don't think we are presenting ourselves well by deviating from established guidelines in this particular case.
Let the Tekton lead bury himself in bull×$% if that's his choice, but let us also be cautious about creating a double standard here.
Just my thought.

Last edited:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't much care about this topic by now. Look at my posts and I have neither defended the speaker nor the designer at all.
But let me also say I find it peculiar the moderators for once are not warning people to not post off topic on a product review.
I am not a moderator, but I don't think we are presenting ourselves well by deviating from established guidelines in this particular case.
Let the Tekton lead bury himself in bull×$% if that's his choice, but let us also be cautious about creating a double standard here.
Just my thought.
All discussion thus far with regards to Eric Alexander revolves around his attack on the credibility of this review and the assessment of the validity of his attack.

But I will let the mod decide if we should take such discussion to a new thread, which I would be happy to start.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just my thought.
Eric made an odd remark earlier about moderators trying to focus the thread. Out of abundance of caution, we are leaving all comments stay, unless they directly violate our core terms. I am reading every post and as you say, there is value in the posts that are being made anyway. Who you buy from is sometimes as or even more important than what you buy.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eric made an odd remark earlier about moderators trying to focus the thread. Out of abundance of caution, we are leaving all comments stay, unless they directly violate our core terms. I am reading every post and as you say, there is value in the posts that are being made anyway. Who you buy from is sometimes as or even more important than what you buy.
Never doubt my support. This site has unquestionable equal standards and integrity.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never doubt my support. This site has unquestionable equal standards and integrity.
And if the Tekton leader gets out of his nonsensical and atavistic attack mode, he will realize several of us here questioned why he'd ever stake his reputation on ancient, cheap speakers that don't seem to reflect what seem to be -and now I am unsure- Tektons more differentiating design principles these days.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point would simply want to see the Tekton dude show up and discuss....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point would simply want to see the Tekton dude show up and discuss....
I don't see that happening. There is too much to protect including the *technology* and designs. Not sure if this is too off topic but do all those tweeters bunched up and used actually help or is it detrimental?

Katzz

There should be a thread exposing the behaviavor of the people that represent a specific brand.
Neunman, Buchardt Audio and Ascend Acoustics are good examples on how to properly respond and comunicate it the results are diferent or the criticism its a little to hard.
Tekton, GR-Research and March Audio are examples on how not to respond to cristicims from reviews or from comments in social media
Exposing the behavior should probably help for the people that want to buy a speaker and know how the company its going to respond it something goes wrong (speaker not sounding as expected, problems from low quality assemble, etc)

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There should be a threath exposing the behaviavor of the people that represent a specific brand.
Neunman, Buchardt Audio and Ascend Acoustics are good examples on how to properly respond and comunicate it the results are diferent or the criticism its a little to hard.
Tekton, GR-Research and March Audio are examples on how not to respond to cristicims from reviews or from comments in social media
Exposing the behavior should probably help for the people that want to buy a speaker and know how the company its going to respond it something goes wrong (speaker not sounding as expected, problems from low quality assemble, etc)
Kind of agree. But by the same personal standard no one should own an Apple product. Steve Jobs is documented as part psycho and most definitely litigious trigger happy.

I don't respect the fact some people take ho-hum reviews personally, but clearly it happens. It mesmerizes me this dude takes a review against an old speaker -that seems discontinued. and doesn't represent his current vision- that personally.

It's all bizarre. Measurement wise these speakers are not the worst ever measured. People see that. But the reaction of the company will make people unsee.it.

And I'd rather see a review of their more premium designs. But now I am no longer interested ... and that's because of the insecurities of the Tekton lead, which reflects poorly on his confidence in his premium designs.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure what the answer is, but an awful lot of energy is being expended on personalities namely this Tekton guy and Erin. I'm thinking that Eric Alexander makes Erin look like a saint.

Top Bottom