• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What interesting and tasty cheese are you enjoying today? This is like the spirits thread but for cheese.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
My favourite blue:

1712275888937.jpeg

So creamy and tasty…

TheWalkman

While hiking in the Italian Dolomites many years ago, my hiking partner and I had a pasta dish in a local mountain hut topped with smoked ricotta, “Ricotta Affumicata” . The soft ricotta is smoked into a dry, dense puck and grated onto the pasta. The taste was sublime.

I’ve never been able to find this cheese in the US (and have been told they don’t make enough to export it) but hope to experience this again before my culinary pleasures come to an end. Simply fantastic.

Bon appetit!

IMG_4051.jpeg
IMG_4052.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While hiking in the Italian Dolomites many years ago, my hiking partner and I had a pasta dish in a local mountain hut topped with smoked ricotta, “Ricotta Affumicata” . The soft, ricotta is smoked into a dry, dense puck and grated onto the pasta. The taste was sublime.
I recently purchased some light weight camp'n cook gear for day hikes where I can hike'n cook and then return home refreshed and well fed. Cheese will play a major part in that. I actually like it when the cheese gets hot and sweaty in the sunlight. It tastes better.
56004_5_g.jpg

717H-FlHXSL._AC_SL1500_720x.jpg

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I’m down to do the opposite of the cheese loving :) we have in this tread .

Hotell breakfast , why is the cheese served the most bland possible and usually a bit dried out .....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Hotell breakfast , why is the cheese served the most bland possible and usually a bit dried out .....
Hotel breakfast in my traveling days generally sucked. Not a lot of cheese either.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I always get those little cheese wedges wrapped in sealed plastic stuff. It's a mildly interesting snack. Cheese to me is a big honking hunk of multiple bites and something to really sink the teeth into. Not little nibbles and such. :D

Roland68

Major Contributor
My breakfast today:
Gorgonzola Dolce dripping from the knife, straight from a 50cm large loaf with toasted bagel...

IMG_1521.jpg

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My breakfast today:
Gorgonzola Dolce dripping from the knife, straight from a 50cm large loaf with toasted bagel...

View attachment 361495
Very interesting.
gorgonzola_1280x800.jpg

Roland68

Major Contributor
Very interesting.
gorgonzola_1280x800.jpg
and so delicious...

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
and so delicious...
I eat sour cream and buttermilk in quantity so this cheese sounds very good.
"Flavours are not very assertive but sweet, mild with notes of sour cream and lactic tang."

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Sliced cheap store brand Colby cheese with peanut butter. Washed down with genuine great tasting Southeast Oklahoma tap water.

Too fancy?
I live about 30 minutes from Colby Wisconsin and as expected they have a few wonderful cheese shops. One of my favorite cheese varieties, but I have never tried it with peanut butter.

Pareto Pragmatic

I have never had a bad/not that great cheese from this place, everything has been very good:

The cave aged mellage (three milk cheese) is very good. Their aged cheddar is great, the 8 year is my go to.

I also really like Humbolt Fog, from California. Rarely have it since leaving CA, but tasty for sure.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just about to sit down to lunch with three favourite cheeses:-

Cote Hill Blue from Market Rasen, Lincolnshire
Baron Bigod from Bungay, Suffolk
Mrs Temple's Binham Blue from Wells Next The Sea, Norfolk

If I had to, I suppose I could give up meat, but would find it impossible to give up cheese.

S.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just about to sit down to lunch with three favourite cheeses:-

Cote Hill Blue from Market Rasen, Lincolnshire
Baron Bigod from Bungay, Suffolk
Mrs Temple's Binham Blue from Wells Next The Sea, Norfolk

If I had to, I suppose I could give up meat, but would find it impossible to give up cheese.

S.
I admire your cheese selection. I am in a barren cheese wasteland (Canada.). I will need to maybe order in from the web because the grocers here have huge blocks of cheap cheese or tiny little hunks for exorbitant prices. I eat cheese several times per day so it's a major part of my eating life. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK I'm getting aggressive on the cheese front and finding retailers that have the goods in my city! Going online.

EDIT: Found a shop along my usual route daily so will go check it out tomorrow.

I need large blocks not little hunks!

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We moved to Brussels in October. We’ve been lucky to find an extraordinary cheese shop near us in Uccle, near Vanderkindere stop. Too many cheeses to name any. Apparently it is a well recognized cheese shop. A block away is an amazing bakery, Brood, run by this young charming Flemish young woman. And there’s always the beer. Despite the weather sucking to unimaginable levels, these three things keep me close to sane.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We moved to Brussels in October. We’ve been lucky to find an extraordinary cheese shop near us in Uccle, near Vanderkindere stop. Too many cheeses to name any. Apparently it is a well recognized cheese shop. A block away is an amazing bakery, Brood, run by this young charming Flemish young woman. And there’s always the beer. Despite the weather sucking to unimaginable levels, these three things keep me close to sane.
I like that! Canada is not as special niche oriented as Euro peeps are.

Top Bottom