• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What interesting and tasty cheese are you enjoying today? This is like the spirits thread but for cheese.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gjetost cheese, a Norwegian treat, is made from fresh whey rendered down and has somewhat of a caramel like flavor. Sold in supermarkets outside of Norway usually in small dense cubes wrapped in red foil you thinly shave some off of. There are on-line recipes for making it and then too rustic versions aren’t always made so dense.
View attachment 361247
One of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted :) the aged version is particularly rank!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Still, nothing beats processed american cheese on a burger! I always keep some on hand just for that....
Ahem. You should try the aforementioned Garfield's smoked cheese on one. Incroyable. :cool:

@Doodski I don't think they ship to Canada :( I can ask Liz, though, next time I see her.
Your options, as I see it: work in cahoots with an Amurrican near the border to engage in some international cheese-smuggling (which, N.B., I cannot recommend :eek::facepalm:) or... road trip!
Just don't come next Monday! It's gonna be nuts in northern New England due to that eclipse thingy. :eek:

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski I don't think they ship to Canada :( I can ask Liz, though, next time I see her.
Awww. My options here are big blocks of cheapO poor quality cheese or tiny little pieces of tastier cheeses for big bucks. sigh* O' well it was looking tasty for awhile anyway...LoL.

JeremyFife

Are you thinking of Gamalost cheese ? Gjetost is a wonderful nutty caramel tasting cheese.
Ah ... yes, that's the stuff. Thanks for the correction. Don't think I've tried Gjetost then, I'll look out for some

JeremyFife

This week it's "Ticklemore" Goat cheese: mild for Goat, delicious
ticklemore-goats-cheese.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sliced cheap store brand Colby cheese with peanut butter. Washed down with genuine great tasting Southeast Oklahoma tap water.

Too fancy?
Can't say I've ever heard about colby cheese with peanut butter....just a dab of peanut butter on a chunk o cheese or is that a sandwich?

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Can't say I've ever heard about colby cheese with peanut butter....just a dab of peanut butter on a chunk o cheese or is that a sandwich?

Just a bit of peanut butter spread on each slice. I also like peanut butter and American "cheese" sandwiches.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Apparently a bun with cheese soufflé and peanut sauce is a thing here in some parts of the country.

Something I only learned the other day but now have to try! :)

Edit: link added.

Last edited:

DMill

Forum Donor
I’m very lucky to have one of the best supermarkets in the US based in my hometown. I do not work for them btw. They send their best in store cheese mongers to places like France and Italy to study. The store is Wegmans, family owned. They definitely curate their cheeses and I’m quite sure make a hefty profit. That said the Satori line of flavor infused parmesans is lovely. Fresh mozz. My girlfriend loves a Havarti Dill they have. Fresh feta. Upstate NY aged cheddars. Plus a ridiculous variety of cured meats. It truly is a cheese lovers place.

edit: I would not have posted this if it’s just me, but they have 80+ stores. So if if you are in the NE USA you Are probably aware of them

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yeah, I struggle visually to do cheese with mould (controlled, but still)... even though it's meant to be there in the above case.

Now what I do like is a nice chicken schnitzel parmigiana with a good beer;

View attachment 361255

JSmith
Strangely, I think this has become one of Australia's national dishes....

Top Bottom