• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. If one is “all about the music”, the choice makes itself.

Then I guess you aren’t “all about the music?”

Someone who is “all about the music” wouldn’t be a member of an audiophile forum and wouldn’t care about measurements or blind testing equipment or spending more money than the average music lover on gear.

I doubt “the choice makes itself.”

;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then I guess you aren’t “all about the music?”

Someone who is “all about the music” wouldn’t be a member of an audiophile forum and wouldn’t care about measurements or blind testing equipment or spending more money than the average music lover on gear.

I doubt “the choice makes itself.”

;)
I'm dropping in from a space that is kinda emotional. I love ya man but this is unfair to say. It is reasonable to want music and seek tech too. I have sought more and more music as a source of energy, love, appreciation, terms, intention and a ton of other benefits. I care about the music so much that I am where I am now. An aficionado of music that has a bit of knowledge of mechatronics but a immense library of tunes that make me more than emotional at times and I really appreciate that so much. Sigh*

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stat's, you asked for stats,
Where did all those CD buyers go?
NOT to vinyl. LOL
I don’t think that makes the point you meant to make.

In the face of the incredible convenience advantage of streaming, which physical medium was abandoned for streaming? (Hint: iPods/CD)

Which physical medium has been stubbornly growing for 17 years and which is selling more at this point?

Hint: not CD. :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm dropping in from a space that is kinda emotional. I love ya man but this is unfair to say. It is reasonable to want music and seek tech too. I have sought more and more music as a source of energy, love, appreciation, terms, intention and a ton of other benefits. I care about the music so much that I am where I am now. An aficionado of music that has a bit of knowledge of mechatronics but an immense library of tunes that make me more than emotional at times and I really appreciate that so much. Sigh*
Of course! (And I could write the same thing about how getting back records revitalized my own enjoyment of music on my system).

I guess you were missing my point. Newman was implying his usual purity standards, implying that if one was really making choices “purely for the love of the music” the choice of digital is so obvious it “chooses itself.”

That’s the usual nonsense take and becomes a throwing stones in glass houses scenario.

If we are going to judge what someone’s choices would look like if they were “only about the music” then you can’t only look at it from one detail - the choice of a digital source. Or would be just as valid (and just as silly) to point out people like Newman are clearly interested in all sorts of audio gear minutia that isn’t necessary for just enjoying the music. Any average music lover could look at him and say he’s clearly interested in more than just the music.

So it’s really not a “choice that makes itself.”
People get in to music in various ways. The reasonableness of choice depends on the individual not the specific technology.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course! (And I could write the same thing about how getting back records revitalized my own enjoyment of music on my system).
Ima getting the vibe here for sure... Good stuFF!
I guess you were missing my point. Newman was implying his usual purity standards, implying that if one was really making choices “purely for the love of the music” the choice of digital is so obvious it “chooses itself.”
BoRinG chatter for sure...
If we are going to judge what someone what someone’s choices would look like if they were “only about the music” then you can’t only look at it from one detail - the choice of a digital source. Or would be just as valid (and just as silly) to point out people like Newman are clearly interested in all sorts of audio gear minutia that isn’t necessary for just enjoying the music. Any average music lover could look at him and say he’s clearly interested in more than just the music.
Hmmz. I agree the point source is not the end all of the musical expression. It's the tunes that matters.
So it’s really not a “choice that makes itself.”
People get in to music in various ways. The reasonableness of choice depends on the individual not the specific technology.
Fine.. I agree. I'm not into the details of ergonomics and touch finesse etc. I'm just about the tunes and what sounds emotionally satisfying. Ima the same when I do sports Ima very emotional and looking for max satisfaction in the vibe and feel of it. Like skiing sigh or skating*

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ima getting the vibe here for sure... Good stuFF!

BoRinG chatter for sure...

Hmmz. I agree the point source is not the end all of the musical expression. It's the tunes that matters.

Fine.. I agree. I'm not into the details of ergonomics and touch finesse etc. I'm just about the tunes and what sounds emotionally satisfying. Ima the same when I do sports Ima very emotional and looking for max satisfaction in the vibe and feel of it. Like skiing sigh or skating*

Cool.

The main thing is: as soon as an audiophile, on an audiophile forum, starts implying his/her audio choices are "just about the music" - especially with the implication the other audiophile's choices are unnecessary for that pure goal - then they are on very thin ice.

Nobody here can get away with that one. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool.

The main thing is: as soon as an audiophile, on an audiophile forum, starts implying his/her audio choices are "just about the music" - especially with the implication the other audiophile's choices are unnecessary for that pure goal - then they are on very thin ice.

Nobody here can get away with that one. :)
Well... I'm actually not sure what to think of that commentary. I usually turn into a emotional mess when I police but yeah I can enforce if needed/required and if that turns you on then you do you...

This is ASR and the fun factor must always be considered as the base truth and factor of operational perspective. Be kind and think of the future always. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Boy are you badly mis-informed.
Any audiophile thats "all about the music" has followed the path of accurate playback from the master tape in an attempt to recreate what the recording team intended. He does not just fart around with various toneal changes etc till he reaches that "sounds good to me" point.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Boy are you badly mis-informed.
Any audiophile thats "all about the music" has followed the path of accurate playback from the master tape in an attempt to recreate what the recording team intended. He does not just fart around with various toneal changes etc till he reaches that "sounds good to me" point.
^^^ THIS.
I am that too.

Newman

Major Contributor
[to Matt] I'm dropping in from a space that is kinda emotional. I love ya man but this is unfair to say. It is reasonable to want music and seek tech too. I have sought more and more music as a source of energy, love, appreciation, terms, intention and a ton of other benefits. I care about the music so much that I am where I am now. An aficionado of music that has a bit of knowledge of mechatronics but a immense library of tunes that make me more than emotional at times and I really appreciate that so much. Sigh*
Don’t worry, Matt’s logic was broken again, over-reaching for a cheap shot and hitting bystanders.

His attempted backtrack-and-reload #7286 then adds inaccurate pot-shots at my implications and intentions. His contributions are a fiasco and serve only to obfuscate.
[to Matt] Boy are you badly mis-informed.
Hear hear!
^^^ THIS.
I am that too.
All aboard! :cool: Headin’ for the same destination.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
[to Matt] I'm dropping in from a space that is kinda emotional. I love ya man but this is unfair to say. It is reasonable to want music and seek tech too. I have sought more and more music as a source of energy, love, appreciation, terms, intention and a ton of other benefits. I care about the music so much that I am where I am now. An aficionado of music that has a bit of knowledge of mechatronics but a immense library of tunes that make me more than emotional at times and I really appreciate that so much. Sigh*
QUOTE>
Don’t worry, Matt’s logic was broken again, over-reaching for a cheap shot and hitting bystanders.
QUOTE>
His attempted backtrack-and-reload #7286 then adds inaccurate pot-shots at my implications and intentions. His contributions are a fiasco and serve only to obfuscate.
MY Response>
__Hmmzerzzz du jour. I think Matt was pretty succinct and accurate in the details stuff. I must admit though that I dropped into a commentary and took position from an emotional viewpoint. What can you add to that?

Last edited:

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Stat's, you asked for stats,
Where did all those CD buyers go?
NOT to vinyl. LOL

Music Streaming Statistic​

Highlights of music streaming industry statistics:
  1. Global music subscribers surged 26.4% to 523.9 million during the Covid pandemic.
  2. Music streaming makes up 84% of the U.S. music industry revenue.
  3. 82.1 million Americans are paid subscribers to on-demand music streaming.
  4. Americans stream on average 75 minutes of music per day.
  5. There are 3.6 music streamers for every paid subscription.
  6. R&B/hip-hop is the most popular streaming genre in the U.S.
  7. Spotify is the dominant music streaming service with 180 million subscribers.
  8. The #1 reason for a paid subscription is to avoid ads interrupting the music.
  9. Gamers are 14% more likely to be paying for music streaming services.

I buy CDs vs. vinyl records at a ratio of 30 to 1. I think I have all the records I want and won't be buying any more. I will continue buying new CDs. So far I have not bought any used CDs or records because the group does not benefit from used sales.

My listening is probably 40% streaming, 45% CDs I own and have ripped, 10% CDs (have to justify my CD transport and CD player to myself ;)) and ~5% records.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy CDs vs. vinyl records at a ratio of 30 to 1. I think I have all the records I want and won't be buying any more. I will continue buying new CDs. So far I have not bought any used CDs or records because the group does not benefit from used sales.

My listening is probably 40% streaming, 45% CDs I own and have ripped, 10% CDs (have to justify my CD transport and CD player to myself ;)) and ~5% records.
Ima 100% streaming from YouTube. It's good. Is there better?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
+1000. I won't use any service that doesn't give me some way to avoid ads. I will gladly pay to avoid all ads.
I pay monthly and have had good service resultingly. YouTube is pretty good. I run 6 emails and 2 primaries and the desktop and cel tel music account and they are reasonable.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ima 100% streaming from YouTube. It's good. Is there better?

YouTube Music and their Opus compression at 256 kbps is actually really good. It sounds the same to me as Spotify at 320kbps Ogg Vorbis.

Amazon Music Unlimited, Qobuz, etc. also sound great. I doubt if I could hit better than 50% guessing which is which in a blind test.

I am blessed with not having "golden ears" so I can enjoy and appreciate all of them. I actually feel sorry for the people who are convinced they can hear a big difference between any of the streaming services, especially those who believe that "HiRes" actually gives any benefit over CD quality.

Top Bottom