• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm solely interested in how they compare when high pass filtered at 80 hz or even 100hz.
I recommend sticking with 80. Every single time I've tried higher, I have never gotten satisfaction. Different homes, different systems. Integration is more seamless and sound quality is better at 80.

nathan

I recommend sticking with 80. Every single time I've tried higher, I have never gotten satisfaction. Different homes, different systems. Integration is more seamless and sound quality is better at 80.
I'm a big believer in testing that objectively, and I will say when I did test it, 80 hz worked better in my room versus 90 and 100, the last time I ran sweeps. (This was with M16 for the LCR and dual time aligned Rythmik subs.)

testing-90-and-100-hz-versus-80hz-jpg.3407597

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean when you say time aligned? Those graphs may indicate phase issues around the crossover region, so I would focus on getting the phase between speakers/subs optimized before judging better or worse at different crossover points.

Any changes to crossover settings and slopes will likely change the timing/phase response settings needed to properly sum the speakers.
I would also check the subs both separately and together to see if there's any phase issues between them, and I would measure at different heights to ensure the dips are not local SBIR cancellation between floor/ceiling.

nathan

What do you mean when you say time aligned? Those graphs may indicate phase issues around the crossover region, so I would focus on getting the phase between speakers/subs optimized before judging better or worse at different crossover points.

Any changes to crossover settings and slopes will likely change the timing/phase response settings needed to properly sum the speakers.
I would also check the subs both separately and together to see if there's any phase issues between them, and I would measure at different heights to ensure the dips are not local SBIR cancellation between floor/ceiling.
Prior to testing crossover points, phase was used to align two subwoofers, via REW measurements. Then, the time alignment between the subs (combined) was carried out between the mains and the subs, again using REW (both via distance/delay and polarity). Then, the different crossover points were tested to find the one with the least dip.

I am happy (eager in fact) to be educated more on this topic -- but to avoid derailing this review of the M16 even more than I already have, we can use the dedicated thread I have already got going about this measurement process. If you want to join in, I would love that:

Subwoofer Setup and Time Align Example

Last edited:

nathan

Incredibly good deal. But I'd check with other dealers. Crutchfield is often supply constrained and can ONLY offer the MAP whereas other dealers may have easier access to stock and or more flexibility on pricing. Now is also a good time to buy used, since when the price of new is depressed, the price of used is depressed, too. Check Craigslist, Marketplace, etc.
Hmm it's backorder but still on sale on crutchfield ($285 each). Will be shipped 3 months later... a good deal?

audioje

Incredibly good deal. But I'd check with other dealers. Crutchfield is often supply constrained and can ONLY offer the MAP whereas other dealers may have easier access to stock and or more flexibility on pricing. Now is also a good time to buy used, since when the price of new is depressed, the price of used is depressed, too. Check Craigslist, Marketplace, etc.
Thanks! Yup, I found another dealer! Well, now the last hurdle would be the one I love the most haha.

No_hair_left

Would these be a good match with a kef r2 meta? I can't find any used r3 and the rare ones that pop up are £1000 with no warranty. I can get a pair of these new with warranty for £450. m106 is £980 but I just cant see it being 500 better, the m16 will effectively be free as I sold my oberon 5 already.

I was looking at speakers all the way up to £1350 but Im not sure I want to spend all that money for just effects speakers now. My understanding is "neutral" speakers should mix with other center well but not sure how that comes into play when the center is a 3 way.

Last edited:

nathan

Would these be a good match with a kef r2 meta? I can't find any used r3 and the rare ones that pop up are £1000 with no warranty. I can get a pair of these new with warranty for £450. m106 is £980 but I just cant see it being 500 better, the m16 will effectively be free as I sold my oberon 5 already.

I was looking at speakers all the way up to £1350 but Im not sure I want to spend all that money for just effects speakers now. My understanding is "neutral" speakers should mix with other center well but not sure how that comes into play when the center is a 3 way.
I would want my left and right speaker to be the same lineup as the center, so I'd get the two more R2 (left and right) or a pair of R3 (second choice).

No_hair_left

I would want my left and right speaker to be the same lineup as the center, so I'd get the two more R2 (left and right) or a pair of R3 (second choice).
I mean the r2 meta option is £2400 and I'm just not paying that and the r3 are just so rare in the uk market. My ideal pick is the r3 but I might have to wait many many months and potentially overpay for something without a warranty, considering other options.

I am currently using th r2 meta with my surrounds ( dali fazon sat) up front and with an slight eq I dont notice any tonal differences, the kef with a full eq is surprisingly more bright to my ears then the dalis lol

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I was looking at speakers all the way up to £1350 but Im not sure I want to spend all that money for just effects speakers now.
If you were building a new stereo system would you consider a M16 OK to use for the L and a KEF R2 for the R?
To build a quality surround system, speaker matching is critical no matter what you have heard.
Anything less is a compromise.

No_hair_left

If you were building a new stereo system would you consider a M16 OK to use for the L and a KEF R2 for the R?
To build a quality surround system, speaker matching is critical no matter what you have heard.
Anything less is a compromise.
Im not building a stereo system though and if I was the choice would be much easier seeing as speakers normally come in pairs, center channels do not. What a strange way to put it.

nathan

KEF being a British company I am surprised they are not available in the UK.

But leaving that aside, I would choose the R2 as my first choice, and if the R2 are too expensive, I would choose the R3, and if the R3 are too expensive, I would choose the Q350 -- all as a better match than the Revel.

By the way, the Left and the Right speaker are not "effects speakers". They are where most of the music is reproduced in movie and TV soundtracks.
all that money for just effects speakers
So the question is whether the Q350 are better than the Revel M16 at matching your center? You be the judge.

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 2.08.27 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 2.09.05 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 2.10.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 2.12.29 PM.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Im not building a stereo system though and if I was the choice would be much easier seeing as speakers normally come in pairs, center channels do not. What a strange way to put it.
You didn't specify what position the speaker would be in and mentioned buying a pair but,
That said, my post still stands. I wouldn't want a center channel to be from a completely different manufacturer than the L & R
Not being tuff on you but you asked "Would these be a good match with a kef r2 meta"
IMHO, no.

No_hair_left

KEF being a British company I am surprised they are not available in the UK.

But leaving that aside, I would choose the R2 as my first choice, and if the R2 are too expensive, I would choose the R3, and if the R3 are too expensive, I would choose the Q350 -- all as a better match than the Revel.

By the way, the Left and the Right speaker are not "effects speakers". They are where most of the music is reproduced in movie and TV soundtracks.

So the question is whether the Q350 are better than the Revel M16 at matching your center? You be the judge.

View attachment 360496View attachment 360497View attachment 360498View attachment 360499
I have been looking for a fair while now, very hard to see some pop up 2nd hand and when they do they are gone quick but I guess that just goes to show how good they are I guess.
I never even considered the q350 for some reason, I think thats the option to go for if I cant wait for the r3 to show up.

norman bates

Forum Donor
The walnut m106 has been on sale for a while, yet the black ones have not/are not.

Perhaps there is a black one for sale in the buy/sell here................

Top Bottom