• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

szrot

„Czy wydaje się, że wysokie częstotliwości mogą być zbyt jasne? Oglądałem film porównawczy z HS5 i ich niskie częstotliwości są nieco wyraźne, przez co dźwięk wydaje się nieco stłumiony, niezbyt naturalny. To tylko przypuszczenie.”
We will probably see Erin's Corner measurements and reviews in a few days, but the "blurred" graph already shows a clear boost around 100 Hz and a slight boost above 10 kHz. We have to be patient ;)

erin_blur.jpg

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We will probably see Erin's Corner measurements and reviews in a few days, but the "blurred" graph already shows a clear boost around 100 Hz and a slight boost above 10 kHz. We have to be patient ;)

That's why I am anxious to get the replacement pair and determine the best boundary EQ setting in my room and then tweak it with REW.

Will I find a boost at 100 Hz or a dip between perhaps 200 and 300 Hz...or some of both?

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Replacements didn't leave Kali until yesterday. Measurements via REW at my listening position will come around March 14 or so.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

spin.jpg

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Vertical directivity is a lot better than I expected. And they can play reasonably loud. Not too shabby for the money.
One big miss though is the exclusion of a subwoofer output. That would have made them perfect.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Yup, can confirm that this is the case: 48 kHz only

I've now set it up so that the monitors are hooked up via USB-C, and the sub via the headphone output of the Macbook. Filtering I do in Element. It seems to work pretty well, but I seem to be losing a lot of gain somewhere though... Looks like it's the Aggregate Audio device for some reason. Edit: found my gain issues, they were hidden in the MIDI control panel.

A few to-do's though: I used a 3.5 mm to TRS, and the gain seems to be way too low, so I'll change to a 3.5mm to RCA. Also, I still need to add some damping to my workspace, which I hope I can do this week. And, these things need some kind of stand or another way to raise them a bit. I'll probably just 3D print some small feet for this: raising the front by about 3 cm should be enough. Once done, I'll make some measurements and dial in Dirac. I may also try hooking it all up the analog way via the subwoofer.

For now, though, they sound excellent, especially with the subwoofer crossover in place.
TRS is set for +4 input, whereas RCA is set for -10. So 3.5 to TRS isn't hitting that input nearly hard enough.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
TRS is set for +4 input, whereas RCA is set for -10. So 3.5 to TRS isn't hitting that input nearly hard enough.
Meh, it worked out in the end. I may just get a TRS DAC If I'm bored of plugging in the 3.5mm ;) For now, though, it works perfectly fine.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Confirms my impressions of them before returning them for a pair with updated firmware versus the Presonus Eris 3.5 that I have been using for the past couple of years.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4-Prong Connector cable length?

Bluetooth codecs supported?

I really like the bi-amp design, most master-slave baby monitors "PC speakers" have one, max. two amps for all 4 drivers I believe..

sejarzo

Forum Donor
4-Prong Connector cable length?

Bluetooth codecs supported?

I really like the bi-amp design, most master-slave baby monitors "PC speakers" have one, max. two amps for all 4 drivers I believe..

I didn't measure it before I returned my original pair, but I believe it was probably 1.5m.

Oddly neither the website, the user manual, nor either of the two Kali Audio videos on YouTube note which codecs are supported.

I will send an email now to my contact in customer service there and report back ASAP.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Is this the standard cable length or a longer optional length?

I ask because shipping to NZ is a hundred euro! I really need 2m+ for clean routing.

Thanks.

Kali says the included cable "should be long enough for any use case where the speakers are the proper distance apart" but if you need a longer one, it is available on their site in this video.

The connector is supposed to be a standard Phoenix speaker connector, so the cheapest solution for you would likely be to remove the connectors from the supplied cable and attach them to a longer piece of 4 conductor cable, or two 2 conductor cables, that you source in NZ.

I'd be sure to check the pin sequence on each end of the connector using a DVM or continuity tester and be absolutely sure that I had replicated it on the extended version.

Last edited:

spanners

Kali says the included cable "should be long enough for any use case where the speakers are the proper distance apart" but if you need a longer one, it is available on their site in this video.

The connector is supposed to be a standard Phoenix speaker connector, so the cheapest solution for you would likely be to remove the connectors from the supplied cable and attach them to a longer piece of 4 conductor cable, or two 2 conductor cables, that you source in NZ.

I'd be sure to check the pin sequence on each end of the connector using a DVM or continuity tester and be absolutely sure that I had replicated it on the extended version.
Thanks mate! ;)

mblack5

Forum Donor
These are rough installed measures - The include cable is around 58" but I loose about 3" on each end due to straight in design and the strain relief sleeve. With toe in I estimate 49" between the speakers (centers) with the included cable. There is no lock on the connectors. As noted there is an optional longer one

Last edited:

thelochias

This looks incredible for a budget compact monitor pair! What are everyones opinions on these vs the iLoud MTMs?

3125b

Major Contributor
These are probably the connectors, I'd assume Kali would use the standard 5.08mm grid dimension: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/de-de/produkte/leiterplattenstecker-mstb-25-4-st-508-1757035 (screw terminal) or https://www.phoenixcontact.com/de-de/produkte/leiterplattenstecker-fkc-25-4-st-508-1873074 (spring terminal).
Kind of impressed that they are using Phoenix board connectors, I initially thought they'd use MOLEX, which sucks, or proprietary, which sucks even more.
Any length cable within reason shouldn't be a problem. I can't see from the pictures what exactly they are using, but it doesn't really matter for you. Some kind of PVC jacketed fine stranded cable will do, theirs looks pretty thick, my guess would be at least 1mm².

the iLoud MTMs
Those are more than twice the price. The iLoud Mini are priced similarly, but only 30% the size.
Not sure what the actual competitors would be, other budget 4-4.5" monitors would be the closest, not too many of those around. Maybe Eris 4.5 or M-Audio BX4, but they are worse and cheaper. KH80 are better but way more expensive. Budget 5" monitors tend to be bigger, especially deeper, which doesn't reallyput them as direct competitors.
The typical multimedia speakers like Eris 3.5 and Mackie CR are smaller, much worse but also much cheaper.
It's not a bad market segment to be in, somebody who is looking to upgrade from your typical PC speakers like Logitech might find themselves getting these for a worthwhile upgrade.

Top Bottom