• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
I just learn the proper pronunciation for Genelec, or at least I think I did.

Gen-na-lec

If I go around pronouncing it as Ge-ne-lec, that wouldn't be audiophile of me, now would it? :D

Had I not watch some videos of Genelec and Neumann online, man, that would be embarrassing.
I am sorry but it is indeed Ge-ne-lec, no matter the language or location. That Sweetwater video of Paul is about 10 years old and he was quite new to the company back then. I am sure his pronunciation has got better since. :)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry but it is indeed Ge-ne-lec, no matter the language or location. That Sweetwater video of Paul is about 10 years old and he was quite new to the company back then. I am sure his pronunciation has got better since. :)
Alright, you gonna have to have do a voice recording if it to make sure everyone is getting it right. :)

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
我的距離約為 60-70 厘米,我的 8020d 從來沒有聽到任何嘶嘶聲(靈敏度 -6dBu)。
這說明我的耳朵確實不好?
:(

Translation by Moderator. Please post in English going forward. Thank you.

“I have a distance of about 60-70cm and I never hear any hiss from my 8020d (sensitivity -6dBu). Does this mean my ears are really bad?”
I wrote from memory, and at 1 meter, it is close to impossible for me to hear them (used a scale). At 80 cm however, I can hear them when it is silent and from 70 to 60 it becomes easy. In any case, the self-noise is so low in volume that it does not even bother me from close up, like 50 cm. They can be placed on a desk as near field monitors without being a source of annoyance.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was already posted some time ago. https://forvo.com/word/genelec/
And looks like there is a female English pronunciation in the way Paul pronounced it?

Now, your link is only adding more confusion. If the manufacturer can't even agree on pronunciation amongst themselves and than sends a link with two different pronunciation then screw that, Gen-na-lec it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-07-00-16-57-497.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-07-00-16-57-497.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 31

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
And looks like there is a female English pronunciation in the way Paul pronounced it?

Now, your link is only adding more confusion. If the manufacturer can't even agree on pronunciation amongst themselves and than sends a link with two different pronunciation then screw that, Gen-na-lec it is.
The issue might be that in Finnish language letter e is pronounced almost the same as the letter a in English language. To my ears both the woman in the link and Paul on the ad video are saying it as Ge-ne-lec. Your American ears may hear it otherwise and we just have to accept that.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The issue might be that in Finnish language letter e is pronounced almost the same as the letter a in English language. To my ears both the woman in the link and Paul on the ad video are saying it as Ge-ne-lec. Your American ears may hear it otherwise and we just have to accept that.
Will there ever be a new 8000 series with new drivers / amps?
Thanks;)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not the a/e pronunciation in question for me.

Paul and the English language in that link you sent pronounced Gen as in the word "generation," vs. Finnish, Gen is pronounced as in the word "Get" but replace the T with an N.

Either or, I was just trying to clear up how Genelec ought to be pronounced, but apparently I failed miserably and then things only stirred up with further more confusion.

The salesman from Sweetwater actually took the time out to correct me on the "proper" pronunciation of Genelec when I spoke to him over the phone; and according to the Sweetwater salesman, it is pronounced how Paul pronounced it. This implies perhaps Genelec needs to do a round or training with their dealers on proper pronunciation of the brand.

The good news is (if this is considered a good news), to a lesser degree, similar problem exist with pronunciation for Neumann.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec has their own official YouTube channel where you can hear multiple Genelec employees, with multiple accents and multiple different apparent national origins, all say the company's name. I quickly found a NAMM video featuring an employee with a US accent and one with a UK accent. And the GLM5 walkthrough video has a voiceover from another employee with a third accent (I won't hazard a guess here as to what it is, but it's not a UK or US accent).

All of them pronounce the company name in the same way: soft-Gee to begin, and Gen-EH-lec, not Gen-AH-lec.

I suppose it's possible that when the Finnish employees are speaking in Finnish they switch to a hard G, but it appears that in English it's pronounced with the soft G, even when being voiced by non-native speakers of English (as with the GLM5 walkthrough voice over).

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Genelec has their own official YouTube channel where you can hear multiple Genelec employees, with multiple accents and multiple different apparent national origins, all say the company's name. I quickly found a NAMM video featuring an employee with a US accent and one with a UK accent. And the GLM5 walkthrough video has a Voice over from another employee with a third accent (I won't hazard a guess here as to what it is, but it's not a UK or US accent).

All of them pronounce the company name in the same way: soft-Gee to begin, and Gen-EH-lec, not Gen-AH-lec.

I suppose it's possible that when the Finnish employees are speaking in Finnish they switch to a hard G, but it appears that in English it's pronounced with the soft G, even when being voiced by non-native speakers of English (as with the GLM5 walkthrough voice over).
The hard G just sounds more...hardcore

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe its not his American ears but his American loudspeakers and he needs Genelec monitors to hear the pronunciation to hear it correctly? :p

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That could be. All I know is that my American ears are quite pleased with the sound produced by the speakers!

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The good news is (if this is considered a good news), to a lesser degree, similar problem exist with pronunciation for Neumann.
Neumann is unambiguous in that the name consists of regular German words, so if you know German pronunciation, it is natural to pronounce the name that way. Genelec is more obscured with respect to the origin of the name.

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Paul and the English language in that link you sent pronounced Gen as in the word "generation," vs. Finnish, Gen is pronounced as in the word "Get" but replace the T with an N.

Either or, I was just trying to clear up how Genelec ought to be pronounced, but apparently I failed miserably and then things only stirred up with further more confusion.
It depends if you want to speak English or Finnish. In English it is pronounced with a soft G and in Finnish it is pronounced with a hard G, and both are equally correct. :)

Top Bottom