• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
bionor-opening.jpg
0e194906811c174780af7a8fa2a2df79.jpg
bionor5.JPG

dagfinn

I found a quote on a Norwegian forum (which also dates the speaker to 1957, when several was purchased to the new Odda cinema where one remains): "OK, so it isnt a commercial product, but the Siemens Bionor horn loaded cinema speaker made by Klangfilm in Germany and dating back circa 1960 was for me a fantastic experience...one of the greatest speakers of all time. Visitors were treated to glorious horn sound with stupendous dynamics and unbelievably tactile voicing. Relative to a modern audiophile favorite such as the Wilson Audio Grand Slam, the Bionor is of course a different cup of tea, but if I had the room and could find a pair, thats what I'd be drinking." Dick Olsher

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I found a quote on a Norwegian forum (which also dates the speaker to 1957, when several was purchased to the new Odda cinema where one remains): "OK, so it isnt a commercial product, but the Siemens Bionor horn loaded cinema speaker made by Klangfilm in Germany and dating back circa 1960 was for me a fantastic experience...one of the greatest speakers of all time. Visitors were treated to glorious horn sound with stupendous dynamics and unbelievably tactile voicing. Relative to a modern audiophile favorite such as the Wilson Audio Grand Slam, the Bionor is of course a different cup of tea, but if I had the room and could find a pair, thats what I'd be drinking." Dick Olsher
Nice thanks :cool:

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rockport's cabs are incredibly heavy and dead. 2 piece aluminum housing with modeling clay between the pieces. And no, those are not Satori Textreme drivers. Rockport has been building their own drivers in house for a long time with that material before anyone else was using it. They also sound very good and refined, but the cost is way up there reflecting the quality of the components within.

MKR

Major Contributor
Rockport's cabs are incredibly heavy and dead. 2 piece aluminum housing with modeling clay between the pieces. And no, those are not Satori Textreme drivers. Rockport has been building their own drivers in house for a long time with that material before anyone else was using it. They also sound very good and refined, but the cost is way up there reflecting the quality of the components within.
You are paying a lot for that cabinet silliness, same for Magico and Acora ... well braced MDF is just fine to control resonance

Short38

Amen to MKR. If after the mdf cabinet is built there is/are resonances(s), hit the interior with modeling clay. A 25lb block per side applied to the offending panels should kill anything audible.

Had not seen Rockport speakers before so I checked out their website. "custom formulated, high hysteresis, high mass (115 pounds per cubic foot) damping compound".

That is dense! Compare to MDF @ 50 pounds per cubic foot. I sometimes use MIL SPEC mass loaded vibration damping material @ 75 lbs/ft3 for some damping projects.

The Rockport speakers engineering is a bit extravagant, but it is interesting that those folks are willing to go to such extremes. They also look good, if you like that style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom