• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best nearfields under $5k all-in?

tusing

Hi folks,

My KEF LS50W Nocturnes crapped out ($2500, active) and I'm looking for a replacement.

My request is that these are:
- nearfields (sitting ~3ft away),
- functional close to the wall (3-5 inches of separation).
- active, or if passive, the price of a good amp can fit in the $5k

I already have:
- Dirac Live for room correction via a DDRC-22D
- A subwoofer

TylerR

Either Neumann KH-310s or KH-150s and room treatment would be my choice. The new KH-310s seem to be on the horizon so that may be worth keeping in mind to keep away the buyers remorse.

OP
tusing

tusing

Either Neumann KH-310s or KH-150s and room treatment would be my choice. The new KH-310s seem to be on the horizon so that may be worth keeping in mind to keep away the buyers remorse.
Thanks. Do you have any links to news on the new KH-310? I couldn't find anything with a few quick Google searches.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally i would not recommended KH310 for only 1m distance. It may be a psychological thing, but i liked them only from 1.5m and more. They are pretty big this close and not practical if you have a monitor (display) in the middle.

Exaybachay

I have Genelec 8331 with 7350 subwoofer. Most of the time the subwoofer adds nothing worth hearing, if anything at all. Even for electronic music. In my living room the 8331 already go down to almost 40 Hz. I really don't see how the 8341 could do anything better.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I guess it's between the KH150 and 8331A. Any advice on that selection?
The Genelec 8340 is more comparable to the KH150. Both are 6.5" two-way non-coax designs with built-in DSP calibration and control. The 8331 is a coaxial 3-way design, with two 5 1/8 oval woofers, and the same DSP capability.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'd go with KH150 or 8350 or the best option increase budget to $6K and get 8341

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I guess it's between the KH150 and 8331A. Any advice on that selection?
They are pretty different. Since you are using a subwoofer and a very close distance i would suspect the 8331 can play out more of it´s advantages, while the KH150 is unlikely to stand out with it´s advantages (louder, lower bass...).
I think with a subwoofer and 1m distance i would probably chose the KH120II over the KH150. They are significantly cheaper than the 8331A and probably have a better value. 8331A should be better if you take price out of the equation, but i don´t know them. Some say they are pretty limited SPL-wise, but i don´t know how this changes with a sub.

Exaybachay

I'd go with KH150 or 8350 or the best option increase budget to $6K and get 8341
I would never spend the extra money for the 8341. Like I said before, I have the 8331 and my 7350 subwoofer has very little (most of the times even nothing) to contribute.

But maybe your experience is different. Of course nearfield, in my case about 2 feet distance to the speakers.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Hi folks,

My KEF LS50W Nocturnes crapped out ($2500, active) and I'm looking for a replacement.

My request is that these are:
- nearfields (sitting ~3ft away),
- functional close to the wall (3-5 inches of separation).
- active, or if passive, the price of a good amp can fit in the $5k

I already have:
- Dirac Live for room correction via a DDRC-22D
- A subwoofer
Have you looked into getting the KEF speakers repaired ?

Jaxjax

Yeah, but they are no longer under warranty so I'm looking at between $800 and $1100. I am not sure they perform well enough to justify that (I mean, I love them, but still.)
I would try to audition in your home Dynaudio Core 7 . Ive ran this series with Direct Live. The 47's tested here on ASR I don't think did that well...but I'm suspicious as the the 7 & 59 are awesome. I've ran the Pascal amplification in them hard for 4 years daily & not a problem as of yet. They are DSP w/ AES in also. Big clean quiet power too for a small monitor.

Joe

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but they are no longer under warranty so I'm looking at between $800 and $1100. I am not sure they perform well enough to justify that (I mean, I love them, but still.)
Oof... did you get any diagnosis on what's wrong with them?

I'm curious because I have some LS60s and although they're very nice and very convenient, I have to acknowledge that having AIO actives is sort of whistling past the graveyard in terms of reliability / repairability.

Chazz6

Boxem amplifier and Spendor A1 sealed, passive bookshelf speakers.
You are silent about source(s), so you probably do not need a streamer.
In a seat one meter away, a subwoofer and room correction strike me as overkill, but if you get something out of them, great.

OP
tusing

tusing

Oof... did you get any diagnosis on what's wrong with them?

I'm curious because I have some LS60s and although they're very nice and very convenient, I have to acknowledge that having AIO actives is sort of whistling past the graveyard in terms of reliability / repairability.
It seems that the amp board has problems. It runs $475 to replace a single one. Shipping is also expensive for something this heavy, and I no longer have the original packaging so figuring out how to pack these would be a huge pain.

I personally won't be buying KEF again even though I own many of their speakers. This seems to be a recurrent/common problem with the LS50W (first version), kind of sucks to have these turn into bricks.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I was just looking through the threads and came across these for sale, but I have never heard them:

Penelinfi

I guess you could sell the drivers/speaker as is, or maybe try and use ls50 passive crossover in them ; I assume they use the same drivers?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get them repaired. Good speaker to just throw it away.

Reactions: 617
Top Bottom