• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Overseas

Major Contributor
Screen is for gimmick.
Gimme HDMI ARC and room correction, heaven...

zeluxao

Screen is for gimmick.
Gimme HDMI ARC and room correction, heaven...
Room correction is more of a software thing. I think it will be available soon or later. Just more ins and outs would be fine. If it's the wiim amps inclosure it won't even be a big one (screen) so why bother? If you're not using it in desktop environment (most probably not) you're probably not even be able to read it from a distance. I'd skip the premium features imo. As i've said it even makes it less future proof.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Room correction is more of a software thing. I think it will be available soon or later. Just more ins and outs would be fine. If it's the wiim amps inclosure it won't even be a big one (screen) so why bother? If you're not using it in desktop environment (most probably not) you're probably not even be able to read it from a distance. I'd skip the premium features imo. As i've said it even makes it less future proof.
I’ve often thought that most of the processing (measuring, working out a solution), is done in your phone - as with the HouseCurve App. All that’s needed is to put this facility in the app on your phone (more than enough processing power there, then link that to the PEQ.

zeluxao

I’ve often thought that most of the processing (measuring, working out a solution), is done in your phone - as with the HouseCurve App. All that’s needed is to put this facility in the app on your phone (more than enough processing power there, then link that to the PEQ.
I think that app is only available for ios though... But wiim could inspire themselves on that one and ad something similar to their app.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I think that app is only available for ios though... But wiim could inspire themselves on that one and ad something similar to their app.

The issue is the mic. iOS is easy, because there’s a limited number of models of Apple phones/tablets, and many share the same mic, so compensating for this is fairly easy - helped by the fact that the mics used are pretty consistent from one unit to the next.

Android? You’d have to test everyone, and several of each for consistency.

Perhaps it will be part of the WiiM Home App for PC, or maybe the Ultra will come with a calibration mic of its own, like AV receivers do. Or as an optional extra.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Depends on how you plan to use it. I want it for my desktop, so for me the screen is not a gimmick (if it is done well). HDMI ARC I could care less about. However, a device called "Ultra" should cover all common inputs and outputs.

The fact that the Ultra will have a display has been a done deal for around 4 months.

Some people may want one, others may not, but this is not at the request stage. Sorry to be blunt, but people are going to have to like it, lump it, or not buy it.

Personally, I don’t feel I need one, but unless it puts this up to a price point I can’t live with, I’m happy to lump it, and hope to get to like it.

zeluxao

Depends on how you plan to use it. I want it for my desktop, so for me the screen is not a gimmick (if it is done well). HDMI ARC I could care less about. However, a device called "Ultra" should cover all common inputs and outputs.
Could you tell me how/ why do you need a streamer in a desktop context? And why do you need one with these much features. (honest question)

Last edited:

zeluxao

The fact that the Ultra will have a display has been a done deal for around 4 months.

Some people may want one, others may not, but this is not at the request stage. Sorry to be blunt, but people are going to have to like it, lump it, or not buy it.

Personally, I don’t feel I need one, but unless it puts this up to a price point I can’t live with, I’m happy to lump it, and hope to get to like it.
They could also upgrade their previous units. Maintain the design and build as far as possible to save money, just add features and improvements and don't mess with the previous price point too much. That could be a good move instead of only releasing new (and increasingly expensive) products. If they upgrade their other units i think they could end up having a product for everyone. They could limit the sales of these newer units though, so i guess they won't do it. If this unit is pricier than the wiim amp i think i'll be thinking of buying a minidsp instead and just connect my wiim mini into it.

Dreamslayer

Could you tell me how/ why do you need a streamer in a desktop context? And why do you need one with these much features. (honest question)
I use the WiiM pro on my desktop for a number of reasons -

1. I prefer using my phone as the control / source vs running apps on the PC
2. Sometimes I have my screen and keyboard switched over to my work PC so direct control isn't convenient
3. I have it setup as a digital input on my PC so the sound is mixed with my PC sound (from the optical out) if I switch to the coax output, it goes direct into my DAC, bypassing the PC
4. There are times when I want to turn the PC off and still want to listen to music or use the bluetooth input to listen to my phone

BrooklynNick

Sure. I work from home using a work supplied computer which I sit in front of all day in a dedicated workspace. I listen to music while I work and am currently using a Wim Pro. I am a Roon user, but don't install Roon on my work computer.

So, a screen would allow me to see Now Playing and easily pause or skip a track without having to unlock my iPhone and switch to the Roon app.

Even if I did have Roon on my work computer, it would be nice to be able to see Now Playing at a glance rather than having to switch apps, since my work fills the screen.

BrooklynNick

To fully answer the question... That is why I want a streamer on my desktop. My system is Wiim->Benchmark DAC-1->headphone amplifiers (plural). I have the DAC-1 for dynamic headphone, a small electrostatic amp, and an amp for Audeze LCD-R headphones. All sitting on my work desk, self contained, in a nice stack in a mini-rack from Topping.

Edit: I think having a headphone amp on your desk is pretty common these days, based on discussion on Head-Fi. Having a streamer is less common (most people use USB from their computer), but makes sense if you do whole house audio with Roon or your work does not allow unapproved software. I've also worked at places where USB connections are not allowed as they are a security risk.

zeluxao

Sure. I work from home using a work supplied computer which I sit in front of all day in a dedicated workspace. I listen to music while I work and am currently using a Wim Pro. I am a Roon user, but don't install Roon on my work computer.

So, a screen would allow me to see Now Playing and easily pause or skip a track without having to unlock my iPhone and switch to the Roon app.

Even if I did have Roon on my work computer, it would be nice to be able to see Now Playing at a glance rather than having to switch apps, since my work fills the screen.
Phones or speakers? There are speakers with everything built in now. Also i think one of the newer Fiio's units (r7/ r9) should be the ideal for your use case scenario. Or you could just buy a cheap tablet to connect to any dac ,dac/ amp or whatever. I've actually always thought of streaming through one of these units as a distance use case scneario, never in a desktop (i just use my pc connected to a dac and amp and stream directly through it). But i understand a work laptop is a different story.

BrooklynNick

Phones or speakers? There are speakers with everything built in now. Also i think one of the newer Fiio's units (r7/ r9) should be the ideal for your use case scenario. Or you could just buy a cheap tablet to connect to any dac ,dac/ amp or whatever. I've actually always thought of streaming through one of these units as a distance use case scneario, never in a desktop (i just use my pc connected to a dac and amp and stream directly through it). But i understand a work laptop is a different story.

Answered above. I'm not looking to change my setup other than switch a Wiim Pro for a Wiim Ultra.

Dreamslayer

A PC isn't always the best source because you can get background sounds and they can be fussy about exclusive mode / bit rates, etc.

Also, the R7/R9 are nice but orders of magnitude more expensive than a WiiM and for people that already have a complete system, they don't add a lot of value.

zeluxao

A PC isn't always the best source because you can get background sounds and they can be fussy about exclusive mode / bit rates, etc.

Also, the R7/R9 are nice but orders of magnitude more expensive than a WiiM and for people that already have a complete system, they don't add a lot of value.
My experience is exactly the contrary. Never had issues with my pc as a source. Can't say the same for my smartphone with usb dac for example. At this level everyone uses some sort of exclusive mode i think, so no background sounds i'd say.

R7/R9 are much more practical and take a lot less space. The issue was the screen, so i suggested. Only after i posted, i red the previous post and realised all the gear already owned. Still, if the gear wasn't so specific, i still think it could make sense to change. (one can always sell right?) For what hey are, i don't think they're that expensive, specially the r7. (even though the headphone amp is not that powerful, but it will depend on the headphones themselves) Plus, you alredy can find a bunch of them (r7) in the used market for less money because a lot of people changed to r9 and eversolo's dmp units. Because of their form factor it seems to me they're the perfect unit for desktop use.

Top Bottom