• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx

dweeeeb2

Can any owners please provide first impressions of the HTx? How are you liking it? Any issues? Thank you.
I am a rank amateur, this is my first attempt at 2.1 system (not using all channels), and first attempt at using REW so don't feel like my feedback will be all that useful, but here goes:
- Unit connectors and remote feel fine
- Operation with the front dial alone is fine
- Very responsive when playing with EQ/crossover on the fly
- Takes about 3 sec to jump between presets
- I haven't had time to measure but the unit does play a fair bit quieter (headroom for EQ?)
- Got Dirac connected and running quite easily except I did have a couple of issues
1: Latest released FW would not update HTx with new filters, needed to load latest Beta FW - fixed
2: Kept getting "imprecise measurement error", after plenty of test from Dirac and MiniDSP I ended up having to load an old FW which does miss some of the features of the latest FW, but fixed.
3: Found a bug in the Dirac software where bass response does not match graph in Dirac - Dirac working on fix.
4: Impulse response subjectively appears to be very good as percussions including cymbals is much better, but also quiet background sounds are clearer (did I lift the veil?).
If you have any questions Im happy to answer if I can. Dirac and MiniDSP help have been fine.

Generally speaking I am very happy with my purchase. I feel like I got what I was hoping for. I will not attempt another "good" sound system without a similar device..
Cheers

dweeeeb2

Actually one feature I stuffed up on was bass management. You can low pass filter all channels but you have to combine them all into one channel (bass management channel) I can’t LPF L channels for a L sub, and LPF R channels for a R sub, or I can’t see how to. I’ve only been playing with one sub so I might have missed it.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Actually one feature I stuffed up on was bass management. You can low pass filter all channels but you have to combine them all into one channel (bass management channel) I can’t LPF L channels for a L sub, and LPF R channels for a R sub, or I can’t see how to. I’ve only been playing with one sub so I might have missed it.

You can do that.

But the question I have is why wanting different LPF for L and R sub??

dweeeeb2

You can do that.

But the question I have is why wanting different LPF for L and R sub??
Its not that I necessarily want different LPFs, but I might like to keep bass content from the left channel separate to the bass content in the right channel.
I figured you could probably do it with the mixer but the control centre only has one “bass management” channel.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Its not that I necessarily want different LPFs, but I might like to keep bass content from the left channel separate to the bass content in the right channel.
I figured you could probably do it with the mixer but the control centre only has one “bass management” channel.

For a pure crossover standpoint, keeping separate bass content for L /R is only useful when crossing above frequencies from which bass start to be localizable.
But generally, subs crossovers are defined at non localizable frequencies.

Unless you've got some weird constraints, I don't see any reason to keep distinct L/R bass content.

Having said that, with all my Minidsp devices I had through years, I also don't sum up L/R input when routing input stereo signal to subs. I keep sending L input to L output + L sub1 and R output to R output + sub2.
Not to have different LPF per sub.
But because each sub is located next to a main speaker (like being considered as part of main speaker) instead of defining a mono neural sub routing (summing up L+R).
I found out that Dirac stereo worked best like that as the back of my room in not symmetrical.

With Flex HT/HTx, you can do what you described.
You can assign any input directly to any output.
You don't necessarily need to use the LPF filtering from the bass management tab.
You can add LPF in each output channels.

I have 3 presets in my Flex HT:
- Preset 1 for music stereo sources where I route left and right inputs to my mains output (with HPF) and my 2 subs outputs (L to sub1 and R to sub 2 with LPF) without using bass management tab.
- Preset 2 for video sources providing 5.1 LPCM, where each input channel is routed its matching out (with filters specified in LFE management tab, LFE input routed to both subs output) using bass management tab
- Preset 3 for video sources providing 2.0 LPCM applying same logic as preset 1 with additional filters, gain and routing for redirecting L+R also to central channel, and without using bass management tab.

Last edited:

kadajawi

For those using a Flex HT / HTx with an Apple TV, are you aware of any 7.1 content on the Apple TV that actually has audio on the rear channels?

I've been playing around with a DIY setup using a 7.1 HDMI to I2S audio extractor and can get audio on the rear channels when I play from a computer but have not been able to see anything on the rear channels with the Apple TV. Of course, I really only see tracks listed as "5.1" or "Dolby Atmos" so not sure a pure 7.1 example exists.

Michael
My HDFury Arcana often tells me that it is getting 7.1 rather than 5.1 or 2.0 PCM. But I don't know if those channels are really utilized, I have a 4.1 setup and don't always have the Flex plugged into my laptop.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My HDFury Arcana often tells me that it is getting 7.1 rather than 5.1 or 2.0 PCM. But I don't know if those channels are really utilized, I have a 4.1 setup and don't always have the Flex plugged into my laptop.

As @Joffy1780 suggested, I was able to play a 7.1 test track through VLC and confirm that the Apple TV 4K is outputting 7.1. However, I have never seen a streaming service actually output anything more than 5.1, even if the Apple TV 4K is technically outputting 7.1.

Michael

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As @Joffy1780 suggested, I was able to play a 7.1 test track through VLC and confirm that the Apple TV 4K is outputting 7.1. However, I have never seen a streaming service actually output anything more than 5.1, even if the Apple TV 4K is technically outputting 7.1.

Michael
If you used an Apple TV 4K you would or could be getting 7.1 on every Atmos track.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Can any owners please provide first impressions of the HTx? How are you liking it? Any issues? Thank you.
I love it! It sounds fantastic and provides a lot of control over tuning my system - extremely powerful functionality.

As for criticisms, I really only have one - the USB input could be improved. The connection between my computer and the HTx somehow got corrupted one time and I had to reboot the HTx. I was using an active USB extension cable - I learned the hard way with my SHD that a conventional long USB cable will not work.

As a side note, if an "active" USB extension cable is required for lengths over 2m (I assume this to be so as it is the case with the SHD), it should clearly state that in the manual in large, bold text. The manual is silent on this subject, though.

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
I bought one, and it's really pretty great. The flexibility it gives me to do things to my system appears unmatched. I'm a noob and there is a pretty steep learning curve to it, and that isn't helped by the sometimes strangely worded manual. The interesting thing is that I think it has possibly relegated my existing DAC and preamp to the "unnecessary" pile.

Cougar80

I love it! It sounds fantastic and provides a lot of control over tuning my system - extremely powerful functionality.

As for criticisms, I really only have one - the USB input could be improved. The connection between my computer and the HTx somehow got corrupted one time and I had to reboot the HTx. I was using an active USB extension cable - I learned the hard way with my SHD that a conventional long USB cable will not work.

As a side note, if an "active" USB extension cable is required for lengths over 2m (I assume this to be so as it is the case with the SHD), it should clearly state that in the manual in large, bold text. The manual is silent on this subject, though.
I’m trying to decode

I’m trying to decide between the SHD and Flex HTx. Any downsides to the HTx over the SHD (other than the streamer)? What made you want to upgrade?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m trying to decode

I’m trying to decide between the SHD and Flex HTx. Any downsides to the HTx over the SHD (other than the streamer)? What made you want to upgrade?
The SHD comes with Dirac and HTx its an add-on for $249

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I’m trying to decode

I also loved the SHD. It is a fantastic unit.

If I remember correctly, the Flex HTx has slightly better SINAD (114 dB vs. 112 dB), but I don't hear the difference.

Other than not having a streamer, the only other noteworthy observation is that the Flex HTx uses TRS balanced analog outputs rather than XLR. Thus, I ordered the optional TRS to XLR cables since all of my amps and subwoofer use XLR inputs.

The SHD is 4 channel out (2 channel in). I changed to the Flex HTx because I removed the passive crossovers from my 3-way speakers and went all active. In combination with my subwoofer, I am using all 8 output channels of the Flex HTx.

EDITED: to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I’m trying to decode

Also, the SHD includes Dirac Live and a measurement microphone. These are options with the Flex HTx. By the time you add these options and buy a streamer, the Flex HTx is more expensive.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor

You cannot compare them.
They are different products.
- SHD is a processor with 2 channels in and 4 channels out and has dirac stereo. And it is also a streamer and is provided with umik1 for 1300$ VAT excluded.
- Flex HTx is a processor with 8 channels in and 8 channels outs + dirac 8 channels. It costs 1275$ VAT excluded with umik1 and Dirac multi channel licence.

So same price.
From my stand point, 8 channels in/out is much better than 2 channels in / 4 out for the same price is you already have a streamer ;)

Cougar80

You cannot compare them.
They are different products.
- SHD is a processor with 2 channels in and 4 channels out and has dirac stereo. And it is also a streamer and is provided with umik1 for 1300$ VAT excluded.
- Flex HTx is a processor with 8 channels in and 8 channels outs + dirac 8 channels. It costs 1275$ VAT excluded with umik1 and Dirac multi channel licence.

So same price.
From my stand point, 8 channels in/out is much better than 2 channels in / 4 out for the same price is you already have a streamer ;)
I very much agree, but wit a couple of caveats. First, for my needs, I’m only looking for a 2.1 or 3.1 system which they both can do. HTx would be nice for the extra channels to send to a headphone amp. However, SHD has digital out that could go to a DAC+headphone amp. Second the SHD can be had used for ~$800 (I’m in US). The HTx is too new to find good deals on the used market. I do already have a decent Pi streamer with an Allo DigiOne S/PDIF out so the SHD is as important.

Ultimately I’m really leaning toward the HTx because of the HDMI eARC input since I would use it in a audio/ HT setup. I posted here to make sure it didn’t have any glaring faults as I don’t see any reviews out there yet. Reading the SHD thread on ASR it sounds like it had some growing pains that had to be fixed by both hardware and software. I’m not super keen on being a beta tester, and don’t want to go the HTx route if there is going to be a substantial amount of time to get any kinks out.

Lastly I haven’t heard a good explanation why the HT or HTx cannot decode Dolby and has to have LPCM. Is there a technical hurdle to accomplish Dolby multichannel decoding or is it a licensing thing? If I ever try to use the HTx for surround it sounds like a bit of a pain to make sure all other equipment plays nice and sends it LPCM. That seems like an obvious shortcoming. Can it be fixed in future firmware updates or it is a hardware limitation. I don’t really understand how a $350 Denon can decode Dolby but the HTx cannot. I would really appreciate someone’s insights.

jaakkopetteri

Lastly I haven’t heard a good explanation why the HT or HTx cannot decode Dolby and has to have LPCM. Is there a technical hurdle to accomplish Dolby multichannel decoding or is it a licensing thing?
What the admins on the MiniDSP forum mentioned was that the MOQs on the decoding chips are really high and even then you get proprietary stuff with minimal flexibility. They would have to start the design from scratch

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I very much agree, but wit a couple of caveats. First, for my needs, I’m only looking for a 2.1 or 3.1 system which they both can do. HTx would be nice for the extra channels to send to a headphone amp. However, SHD has digital out that could go to a DAC+headphone amp. Second the SHD can be had used for ~$800 (I’m in US). The HTx is too new to find good deals on the used market. I do already have a decent Pi streamer with an Allo DigiOne S/PDIF out so the SHD is as important.

Ultimately I’m really leaning toward the HTx because of the HDMI eARC input since I would use it in a audio/ HT setup. I posted here to make sure it didn’t have any glaring faults as I don’t see any reviews out there yet. Reading the SHD thread on ASR it sounds like it had some growing pains that had to be fixed by both hardware and software. I’m not super keen on being a beta tester, and don’t want to go the HTx route if there is going to be a substantial amount of time to get any kinks out.

Lastly I haven’t heard a good explanation why the HT or HTx cannot decode Dolby and has to have LPCM. Is there a technical hurdle to accomplish Dolby multichannel decoding or is it a licensing thing? If I ever try to use the HTx for surround it sounds like a bit of a pain to make sure all other equipment plays nice and sends it LPCM. That seems like an obvious shortcoming. Can it be fixed in future firmware updates or it is a hardware limitation. I don’t really understand how a $350 Denon can decode Dolby but the HTx cannot. I would really appreciate someone’s insights.
The SHD can't do true 3.1, as such, as it is only 2 channel in/4 out.

withoutsuit

SHD has:

96khz instead 48khz sample rate
Built in power supply

for stereo use, I would choose the SHD

Top Bottom