• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx

terryforsythe

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m continually getting an “imprecise measurement” notification when trying Dirac. I’m using a UMIK-2. Im in contact with MiniDSP and Dirac but its all taking a bit too long.

Just curious if anyone else is getting this issue?

FYI I dont get the error if I use my inbuilt laptop mic or if I use my wireless (not bluetooth) gaming headset mic.
I even set it up with different speakers and amps (2.1).
There a million settings it could be and I think Ive tried numerous combinations (50?). I’ve done all the troubleshooting suggestions.
Anyone actully fixed this problem?
cheers
Uh oh. Mine is due to arrive Monday, and I also ordered the UMIK-2. I hope the issue gets resolved.

I had a UMIK-1 with my SHD. Never had any problems with it.

I almost ordered the UMIK-1 again, but figured I could use the UMIK-2 for other things beyond just REW and Dirac.

dweeeeb2

Uh oh. Mine is due to arrive Monday, and I also ordered the UMIK-2. I hope the issue gets resolved.

I had a UMIK-1 with my SHD. Never had any problems with it.

I almost ordered the UMIK-1 again, but figured I could use the UMIK-2 for other things beyond just REW and Dirac.
Its more than likely something this noob is doing or a faulty mic. I’m hoping its me…

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
When you got the error did it say high noise floor as well?
No, just that the measurement was imprecise.
In REW, noise floor was high.
Then I stopped the dishwasher in the kitchen (that was working quite very silently to me).
Did a calibration again and dirac error went away (and noise floor much flower in REW)

markus

Website shows:

MiniDSP should have no issues sending a sample to Amir for review now.

Maybe they don't want to? Amir hasn't been exactly fair to manufacturers in the past. See Monoprice HTP-1.

RosalieTheDog

This is what I do with my Flex HT.
- Preset 1 for music stereo sources where I route left and right inputs to my mains output (with HPF) and my 2 subs outputs (with LPF)
- Preset 2 for video sources providing 5.1 LPCM, where each input channel is routed its matching out (with filters specified in LFE management tab, LFE input routed to both subs output)
- Preset 3 for video sources providing 2.0 LPCM applying same logic as preset 1 with additional filters, gain and routing for redirecting L+R also to central channel.
I have a slightly off-topic question about that third preset. I saw this blogpost of Creekaudio explaining a 'do-it-yourself' 3.1 system for 2.0 input using a MiniDSP, with L+R highpassed and lowpassed signal sent to a centre channel. (https://deercreekaudio.com/tech-blog/f/a-simple-tv-centric-31-high-fidelity-home-theater-system) Do you mean something similar? How is it working out? Was it easy to integrate the centre channel and do you find it provides a benefit for video sources?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I have a slightly off-topic question about that third preset. I saw this blogpost of Creekaudio explaining a 'do-it-yourself' 3.1 system for 2.0 input using a MiniDSP, with L+R highpassed and lowpassed signal sent to a centre channel. (https://deercreekaudio.com/tech-blog/f/a-simple-tv-centric-31-high-fidelity-home-theater-system) Do you mean something similar? How is it working out? Was it easy to integrate the centre channel and do you find it provides a benefit for video sources?
I didn't know that blog post but basically that what I do in my preset 3 for the center center with different slopes and filters values. I also have a negative gain for center channel output not be too loud.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those using a Flex HT / HTx with an Apple TV, are you aware of any 7.1 content on the Apple TV that actually has audio on the rear channels?

I've been playing around with a DIY setup using a 7.1 HDMI to I2S audio extractor and can get audio on the rear channels when I play from a computer but have not been able to see anything on the rear channels with the Apple TV. Of course, I really only see tracks listed as "5.1" or "Dolby Atmos" so not sure a pure 7.1 example exists.

Michael

markus

For those using a Flex HT / HTx with an Apple TV, are you aware of any 7.1 content on the Apple TV that actually has audio on the rear channels?

I've been playing around with a DIY setup using a 7.1 HDMI to I2S audio extractor and can get audio on the rear channels when I play from a computer but have not been able to see anything on the rear channels with the Apple TV. Of course, I really only see tracks listed as "5.1" or "Dolby Atmos" so not sure a pure 7.1 example exists.

Michael
Most (all?) Atmos content plays the 5.1 bed if you have a device with just 8 PCM channels connected. You can get 8 channels with 7.1 DD+ files though.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most (all?) Atmos content plays the 5.1 bed if you have a device with just 8 PCM channels connected. You can get 8 channels with 7.1 DD+ files though.

Do you have an example of such a file that is available via an Apple TV streaming service? Not a huge deal either way, just interested in testing. I haven't built a multichannel system yet, but if/when I do it will almost certainly be 5.1.

Michael

Joffy1780

Michael
If you play an Atmos track with Dolby Atmos set to off in the Apple TV audio settings it will output 7.1 PCM.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you play an Atmos track with Dolby Atmos set to off in the Apple TV audio settings it will output 7.1 PCM.

I am currently using an Apple TV HD which does not support Atmos so there is no such setting. I do have an Apple TV 4K but it is in my main system and would need to pull it (which I will do). As I mentioned, regardless of whether a title is reporting the audio as 5.1 or Dolby Atmos there is no content on rear channels.

Michael

Joffy1780

I am currently using an Apple TV HD which does not support Atmos so there is no such setting. I do have an Apple TV 4K but it is in my main system and would need to pull it (which I will do). As I mentioned, regardless of whether a title is reporting the audio as 5.1 or Dolby Atmos there is no content on rear channels.

Michael
You could play a downloaded file through VLC Media player.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Might have missed this, but can you load seperate convolution filters for each channel in the device itself?

dweeeeb2

In regards to my "Imprecise Measurement Error" an old version of Dirac v3.4.4 fixed it.

fernando.yang

Michael

Hi Michael, are you using Apple TV 4K? The audio output can be i multichannel PCM and Flex HT/HTX handle it properly?

Thanks.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Michael, are you using Apple TV 4K? The audio output can be i multichannel PCM and Flex HT/HTX handle it properly?

Thanks.

I am not. I am using an HDMI to I2S extractor in to a RPi 5 running CamillaDSP. I have also been testing so far with an Apple TV HD, although I do plan on testing with an Apple TV 4K. I believe others have successfully used the Flex HT / HTx with the Apple TV.

Michael

fernando.yang

I am not. I am using an HDMI to I2S extractor in to a RPi 5 running CamillaDSP. I have also been testing so far with an Apple TV HD, although I do plan on testing with an Apple TV 4K. I believe others have successfully used the Flex HT / HTx with the Apple TV.

Michael
Thank you for your information!

Top Bottom