• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 344 66.0%

• Total voters

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
But is the master version of this streamer worth buying?
Will there be a review of this too?
It’s a decent streamer with many features, if you mean is the ‘master’ worth buying over the standard version then in pure sq terms no.
Keith

Akary

It’s a decent streamer with many features, if you mean is the ‘master’ worth buying over the standard version then in pure sq terms no.
Keith
in terms of reproduction quality, a DAC with a PC or a streamer is always better because there is a lot of difference in terms of consumption because I have to turn on a PC and a TV while the streamer I only have to use the smartphone

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There should be no difference if you use a PC or a streamer through the same dac, my reference for years was my Macboook, I had two ‘audiophile’ streamers built, stripped down OS, JPly linear power supplies all the things which are meant to make a difference, exactly the same as my Macbook.
Just use whatever brings the most pleasure/convenient.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
To use EQ effectively you need to acoustically measure with RE`W, which will pinpoint any issues you then use the filter parameters REW has created, and input them into the A-6.
Keith

mlilliman

I'm using A6 directly to AMP (Volume bypassed amp), and hence use the digital preamp/Volume control in A6.
Will an Analog preamp will be sounding better? Will an separate Analogue pre amp like topping Pre90 would be better than the built in A6 digital preamp?
What's the difference between an Analog and digital pre amp in short?
I use fully digital media for my listening.
I have this question also, please.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm using A6 directly to AMP (Volume bypassed amp), and hence use the digital preamp/Volume control in A6.
Will an Analog preamp will be sounding better?
The only scenario in which an analog preamp can sound better is if you can currently hear hiss out of your speakers with music playing, but the hiss goes away when you plug the DMP-A6 out of the Amp.

If you can't hear hiss from your speakers at your MLP, then a separate analog preamp won't do anything.

What's the difference between an Analog and digital pre amp in short?
An analog preamp preserves SNR by attenuating both signal and noise.
A digital preamp only attenuates the signal. Noise stays constant.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
‘Probably’ the best combination is variable analogue output and digital attenuation.
Keith

jiji

The only scenario in which an analog preamp can sound better is if you can currently hear hiss out of your speakers with music playing, but the hiss goes away when you plug the DMP-A6 out of the Amp.

If you can't hear hiss from your speakers at your MLP, then a separate analog preamp won't do anything.

An analog preamp preserves SNR by attenuating both signal and noise.
A digital preamp only attenuates the signal. Noise stays constant.
Thanks for the comment. No Hiss I can hear even if I put my ear closer to the speaker cone. Will stay with this setup.

jiji

To use EQ effectively you need to acoustically measure with RE`W, which will pinpoint any issues you then use the filter parameters REW has created, and input them into the A-6.
Keith
Direct sweep with REW and using the filters from rew , will not work because PEQ is not available in USB inputs and no DSP available in A6. I tried this method and during verification the filters were not correctly implemented, due to the close q adjustments along with gain, Rew filters makes. It was distorting .So i made a sweep to understand the behavior, then played with the RTA to get the approximate values. Its a time consuming process.
I don't know without DSP, if we can apply filters from rew? Either i'm doing some thing wrong or we need to see if anyone else tried PEQ using REW to optimize the PEQ in their room.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Connect your laptop to the A-6 via usb, select the A6 as your default output, run REW, create filters, select XLR output on the A-6 and then ‘EQ’ and add the filters REW has created.
Keith

jiji

Connect your laptop to the A-6 via usb, select the A6 as your default output, run REW, create filters, select XLR output on the A-6 and then ‘EQ’ and add the filters REW has created.
Keith
Yes i followed the same steps as you mentioned. Laptop to A6 via USB and had the sweep done. While doing the sweep itself my XLR is the output. Then created the filters and used the rew filter values and manually implemented the filter values. But didn't worked , as the sound was completely distorted.
But you cannot verify the PEQ with sweep as , PEQ only works with internal player.
So in my RTA verification after filter implementation, the plot shows some thing worst .
It didn't worked for me. May be i will see if i have saved the plot somewhere to share with you or in the near future if i find some time, will re do this and preset the plot.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You only entered negative gain filters in the low bass region?
Keith

Reactions: CMB

Rudguy66

I've had mine for a few months now, and consider it a lot of bang for the buck. The internal preamp and DAC is quite good, although I am now using it as a streamer only with an outboard DAC and Preamp. Streaming peformance has been flawless using Roon with Qbuz and Tidal, plus Eversolo runs frequent firmware updates all of which have gone without a hitch.

Nice gear!

Akary

I was evaluating between this and the d90 pro topping in terms of quality the topping should be better but with eversolo I don't have to turn on the TV and the PC which in terms of energy consumption there is a lot of difference but the topping has channel balancing which you find it very rarely in DACs or streamers unfortunately.

ac388

I have been connecting the A6(ME) to my new toy Marantz AV10 with analog RCA cables. I did also try a digital coaxial cable between the two n didn’t sound good. Can anyone recommend another way of connection to improve the sound quality ?

jiji

You only entered negative gain filters in the low bass region?
Keith
I entered all filters including positive gain filters until 100 Hz. But I limited max gain to 3(if I remember correctly) , so not much gain in it. But I can also try implementing only negative gain filters and see if it improves.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I can’t think what else would be causing the distortion, I generally only reduce ( negative gain) room derived bass peaks and leave everything else alone.
Having said that if you have speakers with a treble lift, I can perfectly understand why you want to EQ.
Keith

jiji

ok now i have only negative gain and no narrow Q. i will try to implement and verify through RTA if it works.
My room respone and PEQ to be implemented soon: (let me know if you find any issues in the PEQ implementation)
Thanks for your input keith.
1709065598449.png

Top Bottom