• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 V2 - Review & Measurements by Erin

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Expanding the soundstage width by increasing lateral reflections may very well come at the cost of center imaging focus. That's a trade-off you might need to decide for yourself.

Ricardojoa

The old version V1 had very solid center image. One of the best i have heard. My current speakers phil bmr doesn’t have that solid center image either kind of vague but is there. I try eq the mid frequency up and lower the lower highs. That helps quite alot.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks managed to get the center pretty well locked. Physical space constraints is limiting my ability to get wider soundstage. Not sure I can achieve that in my space. But I’m happy enough to get the center right.
Just use the space you have as best you can... It's not a " best" contest, it's a fun hobby...as far as distance from wall: even a few inches can give you extra depth in the soundstage..

tw 2022

Expanding the soundstage width by increasing lateral reflections may very well come at the cost of center imaging focus. That's a trade-off you might need to decide for yourself.
I like fronts pulled out into the room... My l/ r are 3ft off the wall in an 11x14 ft room...It enhances clarity and depth but soundstage width suffers...

Cool Runnings

The Sierra 1 V2s beat the 3x higher priced Proac DB1s by a good margin to my ears. But the interesting thing is that the JBL A120s is right up there with the V2s. Better center imaging and a really good fight on the highs and mids. Falls behind on the bass. Fantastic value for the $200 speaker.

Haint

The Sierra 1 V2s beat the 3x higher priced Proac DB1s by a good margin to my ears. But the interesting thing is that the JBL A120s is right up there with the V2s. Better center imaging and a really good fight on the highs and mids. Falls behind on the bass. Fantastic value for the $200 speaker.
The Stage A120's are far from great speakers, both objectively and subjectively. Now the older Arena 120's were absolutely fantastic within their limits, though very lacking in bass of their own by virtue of being sealed 5" bookshelves. The only way I can imagine the Stage 120's holding their own against the Sierra's is that your room/placement is somehow filling in -5dB hole from ~100Hz to 1Khz, or you're used to that sound signature.

Last edited:

Cool Runnings

The Stage A120's are far from great speakers, both objectively and subjectively. Now the older Arena 120's were absolutely fantastic within their limits, though very lacking in bass of their own by virtue of being sealed 5" bookshelves. The only way I can imagine the Stage 120's holding their own against the Sierra's is that your room/placement is somehow filling in -5dB hole from ~100Hz to 1Khz, or you're used to that sound signature.
I’ve probably got rubbish ears I’ll try to AB test listen more in anycase.

Didn’t Amir previously given a pretty good review for the bigger brother A130s?

tw 2022

Didn’t Amir previously given a pretty good review for the bigger brother A130s?
yes, but the high rating was more (imo) subjective than objective.... truthfully though a good $300 speaker can hang with a lot of higher priced speakers....i'd love to do a blind a/b/c with my modded (by Dennis Murphy) emotiva b1's vs stuff like the sierra 1 v2 and the elac dbr62... i think they might not be 100% as good but i'd bet an "upgrade" to either might not be cost effective for me...

Cool Runnings

yes, but the high rating was more (imo) subjective than objective.... truthfully though a good $300 speaker can hang with a lot of higher priced speakers....i'd love to do a blind a/b/c with my modded (by Dennis Murphy) emotiva b1's vs stuff like the sierra 1 v2 and the elac dbr62... i think they might not be 100% as good but i'd bet an "upgrade" to either might not be cost effective for me...
The more I listen to the V2s the more I like it. It’s quite perfect for a small medium size room paired with a sub.

tw 2022

The more I listen to the V2s the more I like it. It’s quite perfect for a small medium size room paired with a sub.
i would bet that i would love them, i'm just not sure they are "enough" better than i already have to justify an upgrade...enjoy them i think you made a wise choice...

Cool Runnings

i would bet that i would love them, i'm just not sure they are "enough" better than i already have to justify an upgrade...enjoy them i think you made a wise choice...
Given the V2s’ flat FR and the preference scores I’m not sure if the higher models will actually give better SQ except maybe better bass.

It’ll be really interesting if ASR or Erin can do a shootout of Ascend’s Sierra bookshelf ranges. 1s, 2EX, LX.

tw 2022

Given the V2s’ flat FR and the preference scores I’m not sure if the higher models will actually give better SQ except maybe better bass.

It’ll be really interesting if ASR or Erin can do a shootout of Ascend’s Sierra bookshelf ranges. 1s, 2EX, LX.
i like that idea too, i'd bet the tonality is very good...

Haint

Higher output potential, and lower compression/distortion would presumably be the gains moving up to the LX, and radically different dispersion characteristics for the 2EX's ribbon tweeter.

tw 2022

Higher output potential, and lower compression/distortion would presumably be the gains moving up to the LX, and radically different dispersion characteristics for the 2EX's ribbon tweeter.
I'd bet at reasonable volume you'd need to A/B them to hear the differences though, and if that's true the s1 v2 is pretty great... But i agree with your assessment...

tristate0

Any thoughts on how the Sierra 1 V2 compare to the LS50 Meta? I understand the former has a higher preference score.

Trying to decide between the two for music/TV in a 14x20 space, about 8 feet away. Plan to use a sub for either. Ideally, I can audition both in room…

Beave

Major Contributor
Any thoughts on how the Sierra 1 V2 compare to the LS50 Meta? I understand the former has a higher preference score.

Trying to decide between the two for music/TV in a 14x20 space, about 8 feet away. Plan to use a sub for either. Ideally, I can audition both in room…

Based on Erin's measurements of each one, they're fairly similar, with each having small pros and cons compared to the other but neither having any big flaws or big advantages over the other.

Both would definitely benefit from subwoofers.

If you can't audition both, pick based on price and appearance that appeals to you.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I can tell you that since I already own the Metas and use them with subs and dsp (Dirac DLBC) in a small room that I believe it would make no sense for me to switch from the Metas to the Sierras, they are just that close.

If I were starting from scratch, I would give each careful consideration and the Sierras might come out on top, though I would probably opt for the LX's in that case.

The Metas have been selling on sale for $1000 which is the price of the Sierra 1 V2's. If they go back up, it might make more sense to either buy the smaller Sierra or opt for the slightly larger and more powerful LX's which sell at about the Metas retail price.

tw 2022

the sierra's will have much wider dispersion...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Hope this helps.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2
Price: 500
Tonality: 6.7
Bass extension: 41Hz
Flatness: ±2.7dB

KEF LS50 Meta
Price: 500
Tonality: 5.9
Bass extension: 45Hz
Flatness: ±2.9dB

newplot.jpg