• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO400 Fully Balanced Audio Decoder & Headphone Amplifier

HornetMaX

Was thinking of HA specs, which aren't clear if they are for balanced or unbalanced HA output.
I'm interested too in knowing if the DO400 HA is balanced or not. Is the Loxjie D40 Pro HA balanced ?

In Amirm review of the D40 Pro there's this:
Loxjie D40 Pro Balanced Headphone Out Measurements - In the interest of time, I focused on balanced output. Unbalance would product 1/4 of power.

Also some comments in the review (esprcially form user audiofun) seems top imply the D40 Pro HA is truly balanced.
If it is confirmed the D40 Pro HA is balanced, that could indicate the DO400 is too, no ?

HornetMaX

This video (in Korean but auto-subtitleded to english is OK-ish) seems to indicate that DO400 HA is balanced: measures for 3.5mm output are at time 6m35s, balanced right after (7m35s).

NexusOne

A comparison with the Dx9 would be nice. Does the DX9 improve the sound of a hek stealth because it offers more power? Or should there be no big difference because both of them have got good measurements?

KZ1

I want to give my review on 8 devices: smsl su-x, smsl sh-x, topping a70 pro, smsl su-10, smsl do400, aune s17pro, sound blaster ae-9, sound blaster ae-5. Overall, in the order of purchase, briefly: sound blaster ae-5 works the same as sound blaster ae-9. I didn't understand it back then, but later I learned that I should have bought an amplifier, but by that time I had decided to buy something else. Rating 3/10. Then I bought smsl do400. I bought it at a discount for $386.09. This one is top-notch, I really liked it, the soundstage is large and detailed everywhere, except for the height, meaning it's hard to say at what height exactly the sound is, but the sound is detailed around the sides, and I'm satisfied. I only listen to pop and electronic music depending on my mood, classical music. I'd rate it 6/10, for its price, you can't find a better device, and I'll still sell it in a few days. I want to say that the sound is perfectly balanced only with the native amplifier, as I connected it to aune s17pro. I bought it for $492.64 on Black Friday discount, the sound was better, but my headphones had 16 ohms resistance, and the amplifier was for 32, it was my mistake, there were distortions at high volume, in general, this amplifier lacks volume, and I can't say much about it because I returned it right away. I bought both s17pro and su-10 at the same time, I immediately understood that su-10 is better than my do400 at 8/10, it's warm by 40% and precise by 20%, so the sound as if warms the ears, and it's nice in music, but not always good in games. I wanted to keep it for myself, but then the new smsl su-x came out, and I immediately understood that while I could return it, I bought su-10 for $658.46 on Black Friday discount. Topping a70 pro, I bought it for $412.30 and connected it to smsl do400, the sound was the same, nonsense, I thought, I increased the volume and was very surprised that it muted the sound at 10 dB and above, and I was afraid that the headphones would suffer from abrupt turning on and off at high volume, I thought, the DAC is crap, now the new smsl su-x will come, and it will be fine, no, it's the same, the firmware was the newest from the factory, and I didn't change anything in the settings, as it arrived, I even reset the settings to factory ones, it didn't help, it still muted, in short, I didn't like it both in design and in sound, because my built-in amplifier for $200 sounded the same, I wrote to the seller, asked, he said, there's power protection, why the hell give such power, idiotic device, rating 5/10, maybe you need to use it only with topping, I switched all the settings, but you can't disable the protection, my headphones are Hifiman XS. smsl sh-x, the sound is the most transparent, it will sound as you set it up, namely, there are 3 types of amplification: low, the sound sounded simple, and I lacked bass, MID — this is my favorite sound, very strong bass, strong and fast, high I haven't tried, it arrived only 2 days ago, I bought it for $602.30, I want to say that when connected to do400 it sounded better, but at high volume there were distortions in the mode without filter, if you switch the filter, there's almost no noise, in general, the amplifier interfered with the balanced sound of do400, my rating for smsl sh-x is 10/10, the best I've listened to, for its flexible adjustment, design, it's louder than all the amplifiers I've listened to here, and I like everything about it, and in my new DAC smsl su-x 10/10 I bought smsl su-x $854.05 — it's my perfect sound for both music and games, I'd define the sound as 25% warm, 25% precise — it's the perfect balance for all kinds of music and games, the soundstage is the widest of all, the detail is perfect in terms of balance, precision, and warmth, it's pleasant to listen to. It perfectly matches the sound of SMSL SH-X, definitely much better than Topping. Topping just suffocates the sound of SMS SU-X. The filter settings are audible and not at the level of seeming, but definitely with a sound tint, I like to listen without filter and sound tint, standard, I'll post my review in other topics of these devices' data. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer in more detail.
So if for fps gaming either do400 or smsl su-x + smsl sh-x?
If I have limited budget, would you recommend do400+sh-x for fps gaming? or only do400 it's ok
In addition, you can connect Sound Blaster ae-9 to your smsl sh-x through optical fiber. I heard that this is good for games because ae-9 can be used as an interface.

pundel

AE 9 I sold a long time ago, and as for the DO400, he doesn't need any amplifier. If you buy him an amplifier, the sound will degrade.

KZ1

AE 9 I sold a long time ago, and as for the DO400, he doesn't need any amplifier. If you buy him an amplifier, the sound will degrade.
Would you try Yulong Aquila III or topping dx9?
Do you know FreshReviewsYT on youtube? He is a person who often buys equipment for FPS games. I just checked the review of Hifiman Edition XS and rated it as not suitable for FPS games. Of course, it may be because he did not have a better amp/dac at the time.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AE-9 has plenty of power on it's own, even the AE-7 I just got in will power most things in medium gain. The AE-9 and HD800s was the most fun gaming experience I've ever had, followed by the Arya Stealth and Ananda Stealth which are all terrific in Destiny 2 and other games. There's measurements of the AE-9 here and the audio control module has the amplifier in it. You can run without it, I've just done headphone virtualization out the optical and RCA, works on the AE-7 also. If you see a deal on just the bare AE-9 it's worth it, but the problem I ran into was the RCA out was noisy with a powerful video and CPU (and the armada of fans) card going off.
I'd stick with stereo and a combo unit for perfect channel balance like the SMSL C200 which I have setup now. Before boxing the AE-7 I tried the optical and even with DPLL 1 on the C200 it was perfect with no hiccups/jitter. I did a back and forth with the 5.1 surround and just in direct mode yesterday and there was no advantage in gaming. If you have a low noise floor, headphones with good channel balance, and an all in one unit or amplifier with digital volume control, it really counts more in games where pinpoint locating enemies is best.

pundel

I haven’t tried topping dx9 but I would really like to listen to it, it’s interesting to me but I don’t trust topping

HornetMaX

Just got my do400: how do I check which firmware I have on it ?

I see there's a download available on SMSL site (Va3 version), I don't know if I need to apply it.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got my do400: how do I check which firmware I have on it ?

I see there's a download available on SMSL site (Va3 version), I don't know if I need to apply it.
Just got to the driver control panel for version. Also the update tool usually tells which one is there before you flash it. I've got four of them coming at the end of the week. Time to clear the work table to test them all for functionally.

HornetMaX

Just got to the driver control panel for version. Also the update tool usually tells which one is there before you flash it. I've got four of them coming at the end of the week. Time to clear the work table to test them all for functionally.
In the driver control panel I only see tabs Status / Buffer Settings / Info / About.
The Info tab has something like "VID/PID = 0x152A / 0x85DD" and "Revision = v3.23"
The About tab has only something like "Version = 5.68.0" (but that's the version of the audio driver, not the do400 firmware).

Also, in the update tool (ispv2.4.exe) I'm not sure where to read the current firmware version.
I run the update tool, load the firmware (IAP_DO400_1V0A3.hex) then press the knob button on the do400 and power it on, connected to the pC.
Then press the handshake icon on the update tool and it says connected: but where do I read the current firmware version (and, the version of the one the .hex is for) ?

Zephri

I'm having a rather annoying problem trying to update the firmware on mine. When I go to update the firmware after doing all the steps and I click connect it does nothing, and if I click connect again it just makes the firmware update program non responsive and I have to end the task. Has anyone else had this issue with trying to update their firmware?

HornetMaX

I'm having a rather annoying problem trying to update the firmware on mine. When I go to update the firmware after doing all the steps and I click connect it does nothing, and if I click connect again it just makes the firmware update program non responsive and I have to end the task. Has anyone else had this issue with trying to update their firmware?
Just to be sure, before clicking on "connect", did you power on the d400 with the rear switch while holding the knob button pressed for a few seconds ?

I managed to update mine fine yesterday (still don't know how to check which firmware version I have).

Zephri

Just to be sure, before clicking on "connect", did you power on the d400 with the rear switch while holding the knob button pressed for a few seconds ?

I managed to update mine fine yesterday (still don't know how to check which firmware version I have).
Yep sure did, I tried quite a few different things and on multiple computer's windows 10 and 11 and same deal. The amp works fine as is but the newer firmware would be a nice to have.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just flashed 4 of them tonight and it went well. Connect direct to the back USB 3.0 slot on the motherboard if having problems doing it through a hub or front ports. It's just turn off, then load the firmware file, then turn on holding the main wheel in 5-6 seconds, and connect. Then I updated and that's it. The only thing that can go wrong is if you select the other hex file in there. It's not the MM32F103xx_o.hex it's the IAP_DO400_1V0A3.hex that's the update. If you select the wrong one, it'll just skip over it in about a second or two. If you have the update loaded (IAP_DO400_1V0A3.hex) then it takes around 15- 20 seconds. After it says complete, wait for the unit to restart and power up to the menu by itself. Then I hit disconnect in the software before exiting it.

Zephri

Well I went to record the problem and it finally worked, guess that's not surprising since that's how these things tend to go lol.

Here's the recording for funsies of it and pardon the language.

NexusOne

What's the difference between the i2s hdmi input of the Smsl Do400 and the arc hdmi input of the Smsl Do100 Pro in practice? Nothing or less compatibility? I am very interested in the Smsl DO 400 and want to connect it with the TV (hdmi arc). Is this possible or does the i2s have any disadvantages?

worms

I was already about to buy the SMSL M500III, which was amazing, for me better than the DX5, K9Pro ESS, K7 and now I discovered the topic with the DO400. I'm tempted by more power and now I don't know what to do.
Surely no one has compared the M500III with the DO400 on headphones?
From Soundnews rating and comparison of these two devices I was doing something to deduce, but it doesn't stick to me, these points are somehow strangely awarded, or I don't understand it.
M500III, got more points for power and performance, which to me is probably a mistake. Workmanship I will skip, but Power certainly has DO400 more. I don't know how the DO400 compares in SINAD.

Top Bottom