• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kali Audio monitor

songOVERsound

I mean, pressure absorbers, but also I'd wonder why you need infrasonic info like that. I'm not pooh-poohing room EQ. I'm saying it's not a replacement for actually getting reverb times controlled.
I don’t think you understand the context of what I said. I have spent massive amounts of money on acoustic treatment and will happily spend the small amount Trinnov costs to take it to that next level.

In other words. Trinnov comes in when I have exhausted all other options

Descartes

Major Contributor
Maybe they are after the customers of KEF R3 Meta. Curious to see how they compare.

"The woofer design has been refined, and incorporates features that reduce magnetic flux modulation, bringing distortion down dramatically."
Thinking of Purifi woofers here
Would love to see that comparison?

Liopleus

Kali said they plan to get these on the market in Feb 2024.
They also said the powered ones will be $1700 each. That's much more expensive than I expected. Hope they beat Genelec.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
They also said the powered ones will be $1700 each.
That's great news!
I wasn't thrilled about the passive version, but seeing how the active version is coming, that changes my mind. :D
I hope to see these reviewed by Amir or Erin ASAP!

This price point has some good competition...
Genelec 8340A are US$1700/each
Genelec 8050B are US$1900/each
Neumann KH 150 are US$1750/each

I hope Kali delivers on their promise of world-class speaker!
I can't wait. :)

Also, in the video, Kali mentioned an 8" woofer version is coming soon. Nice!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Initial subjective impression is that they will compete with Genelec, Neumann and higher end JBL.
This is promising.
Hope they beat Genelec.
Just for comparison...
Genelec 8331 is US$2450/each.
Now we know that Kali SM-5-C (powered) is US$1700/each.
So for a 3-way, Kali's are 30% cheaper than Genelec Ones.

Not everyone can afford the Genelec Ones, so if this speaker comes close to Ones's performance, then a lot of people will buy these, simply due to $ savings.

OP
A

AM88

The passive version, if they still require a particular amp with specific dsp seems like a strange choice. I wonder how they came up with that idea? Especially when it increases the total price quite significantly (MSRP of USD2.2k for the recommended 4 channel amp). It also means the flexibility of power amp choice isn’t really there for the end user as they really will sound much better with Kali’s recommendation. Also I wonder if the powered version will be fully 3 way active vs the passive mid/tweeter and active woofer of the passive version.

Liopleus

This is promising.

Just for comparison...
Genelec 8331 is US$2450/each.

Not everyone can afford the Genelec Ones, so if this speaker comes close to Ones's performance, then a lot of people will buy these, simply due to $ savings.
Genelec are made in Finland and Kali are made in China. For me personally, Kali needs to offer significantly better price/performance to justify the purchase.

I'd argue that people looking at $1500+ speakers usually have more flexibility in their budget than people buying $500 speakers, since these people are generally willing to pay a premium for superior performance and quality even when facing diminishing returns.

Kali themselves said "in terms of translation, you could do as good of a job mixing on IN-5 compared to SM-5, what you're paying for the SM-5 is that it sound nicer and is more pleasant to work on".

I love my IN-5 and I really like the way Kali communicate with their customer as a company, but the SM-5 better sounds damn nice at that price, otherwise I guess most people would still go for Genelec.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Kali said they plan to get these on the market in Feb 2024.
They also said the powered ones will be $1700 each. That's much more expensive than I expected. Hope they beat Genelec.
$1700 each is KH150 pricing. Hard speaker to beat.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The passive version, if they still require a particular amp with specific dsp seems like a strange choice. I wonder how they came up with that idea? Especially when it increases the total price quite significantly (MSRP of USD2.2k for the recommended 4 channel amp). It also means the flexibility of power amp choice isn’t really there for the end user as they really will sound much better with Kali’s recommendation. Also I wonder if the powered version will be fully 3 way active vs the passive mid/tweeter and active woofer of the passive version.
Because some people like to keep amplification centralized but don’t want to forgo the benefits of modern crossovers and/or active drive.

The founders have some experience with the JBL 7-series install line, which uses the same principle.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Because some people like to keep amplification centralized but don’t want to forgo the benefits of modern crossovers and/or active drive.

The founders have some experience with the JBL 7-series install line, which uses the same principle.
JBL M2 use the same principle, too, right?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL M2 use the same principle, too, right?
Correct. The 70* series also have this as an option.
I think the popularity of this comes down to two things:
  • You need an electrician to run 120v, but not to run speaker wires
  • It's easier to change settings on an amplifier in a rack connected to a workstation over ethernet than it is to fiddle with dipswitches on a ladder

Digby

Major Contributor

Sure, not everyone, but if someone can afford the Kali they can probably stretch the the Ones. Those on strict, rather than flexible, budgets are usually looking at speakers up to about 1000 dollars/euros/pounds.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The SM-5's are showing as in stock in my country (UK) they are also about 25% less than RRP!

117db is WAY more than the equivalent Genelec. I cannot see this being at 1m for 1 speaker.

Looking at the data available:

-Faraday rings on bass driver
- Geometrically optimised aluminium dome (fixes the soft dome inversion the IN-5 has at circa 10khz)

Given the drawbacks of the IN-5 2nd wave were:
-10khz null (dome inversion Freq)
-SPL limitations of amplifier circuit.
-Bass driver 2nd order distortion rising level at 96db+

Other than that, it is a stellar performer.

Very excited about this.

Curvature

Major Contributor
117db is WAY more than the equivalent Genelec. I cannot see this being at 1m for 1 speaker.
Single number figures are meaningless.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

It could be for a pair -- many commercial studio monitor manufacturers aren't particularly explicit about the details. So could even possibly be just the short term dB(z) peak measured for a particular frequency -- i.e. wherein the speaker might not be so linear anymore within its operational range -- esp. when you consider the protection limiters built into such boxes.

Some companies will at least give you a little bit more detail:

1703544437326.png 1703544671225.png

1703544807505.png

I suspect this subwoofer might be using the ff. B&C driver:

*But, I could be wrong!

While this still does not tell you exact distortion values and at what level before the subwoofer will begin to sound like something's off/distorted psychoacoustically, it's nevertheless very useful information.

Last edited:

dziemian

I wonder why there is no single review of these speakers yet. Especially the one justifing a big step up in the price.

Pritaudio

Can’t find any reviews on the passives. They have been out for a while. Was considering these with hypex ncore amps, or even replacing the passive crossovers with hypex fusion.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
We got one pair in and now they are back ordered. I really liked them and wanted to get more time with them as well as do some comparison with Genelec/Neumann. My initial impression was these are going to compete with the Ones from Genelec. The Ones are my favorite speakers to work with, so that says a lot.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
For $2K they should have been more similar to the Barefoots
6.5 inch active 3-way
Regardless I'd never buy a passive in 2024
Screenshot_20240213_154516_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom