• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kali Audio monitor

b7676

This pheonix connector type is meant for bare wire or there is a male part?

audio2920

Normally kit with Phoenix connectors is supplied with both parts, so you can screw free tail wires in to the plug, then plug that in to the socket on the speaker.

If it's not supplied for some reason they should be easily available wherever you are in the world I'd have thought.

Sam Ash

I'm not fond of Phoenix (male/female) connectors, I've worked with them before and it was not a pleasant experience. Well designed spring loaded mechanisms or terminals with enough space to accommodate heaver gauge multi-strand copper cores are better in my opinion. I'm told Speakon connectors are very good too.

audio2920

Yeah I don't know why more don't use Speakon, although I guess they have to be in a recess for on (or near) a wall, which would slightly reduce the cabinet volume for any given "apparent" size. Particularly for smaller speakers.

That said, I've never actually had a problem with Phoenix, despite it looking a bit cheap; whereas I've got Speakons which (after a bit of a life) don't make good contact. So, I dunno. Maybe Phoenix isn't such a bad choice for install.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Whoever ends up reviewing this speaker (e.g. Amir or Erin), hopefully they also review the accompanying recommended amplifier.

Some of the very few pro brand amps reviewed rather disappoint (mostly in distortion performance) despite the high $$ “professional pricing”.

audio2920

I'm not holding my breath for that amp being anything special. I went from Crown DCi to Hypex and was shocked. Normally I swap amps and I'm like "meh, it's OK." But that was something of a step change for me, thanks to ASR. But I will consider it of course, if it's not a turd.

audio2920

I will add, for impartiality, the crown DCi 8|300 I had worked day in, day out for quite a few years. The Hypex amps have been more hit or miss. Eg. I had a (cheap) MP502 that was defective, a ribbon cable fault on an NC1200 build, and a PSU issue on a recent NCx500. So while only one of these failures is directly attributable to Hypex themselves, point is, while I'd glady recommend then DCi to a pro [despite it's ASR approval shortcomings] I can't recommend Hypex under any banner, despite the better "quality" when only considering distortion and power. Horses for courses.

songOVERsound

Trinnov Nova will implement 3 active crossovers per channel and would work brilliantly with these and a sub.

It would be a shame if there weren’t any ways to take advantage of this combination

Curvature

Major Contributor
Trinnov Nova will implement 3 active crossovers per channel and would work brilliantly with these and a sub.

It would be a shame if there weren’t any ways to take advantage of this combination
Very expensive solution to the problem:)

songOVERsound

Very expensive solution to the problem:)
Trinnov?

If you were to compare the cost in acoustic treatment vs how much Trinnov costs, Trinnov is a very cheap “solution”.

I have way more expense put into acoustic treatment and room design vs all my gear put together :)

Trinnov is that final touch

Curvature

Major Contributor
Trinnov?

If you were to compare the cost in acoustic treatment vs how much Trinnov costs, Trinnov is a very cheap “solution”.

I have way more expense put into acoustic treatment and room design vs all my gear put together :)

Trinnov is that final touch
Hmm.

Trinnov Nova is $4k, plus activation fee to use all six channels ($1k x2), plus La Remote for $1k, plus $700 for the 3D mic.

For speakers that cost $2k.

I think I'm just jealous.

songOVERsound

Hmm.

Trinnov Nova is $4k, plus activation fee to use all six channels ($1k x2), plus La Remote for $1k, plus $700 for the 3D mic.

For speakers that cost $2k.

I think I'm just jealous.
Ahhh I see what you mean.

I guess if you look at it this way, I’m getting the Trinnov no matter what speakers they are paired with. I have been waiting a long time to get Trinnov and when Nova was announced, I decided it’s time

audio2920

I'd be confident the Hypex would have no trouble driving these. But...

You have to implement the required EQ.

And for the warranty you need to implement independent limiting on the LF & HF with parameters/ballistics defined in the user manual. If you don't plan on driving them at all loud it may not be an issue; but it's worth thinking about in case you ever did need to make a warranty claim.

songOVERsound

I'd be confident the Hypex would have no trouble driving these. But...

You have to implement the required EQ.

And for the warranty you need to implement independent limiting on the LF & HF with parameters/ballistics defined in the user manual. If you don't plan on driving them at all loud it may not be an issue; but it's worth thinking about in case you ever did need to make a warranty claim.

Dang.. I like tinkering as much as the next guy but not at this level. I’ll keep these within my sight

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I took home a pair to test and measure with the Lea amp about a month ago. Haven't packed them back up yet but also haven't got around to measuring yet. We had the speakers for longer but amp was back ordered. I did hook up the speakers when we first got them with a Parasound amp but there is a noticeable step up with the Lea amp with the corrections loaded into it. Overall, I am REALLY liking them but haven't had to time to do measurements or direct comparisons yet. Initial subjective impression is that they will compete with Genelec, Neumann and higher end JBL. I will probably be able to do some comparisons with those brands in the next few weeks. I have had to work a lot of evenings lately so I just haven't had time. My son initial comment was they might beat the 8341 that I tested at home for a while. I am testing them with Kali 6.2 sub currently. I will probably compare that to the Kef KC62. Kef definitely wins on looks but the 6.2 isn't bad aesthetically. Not like Kali's other sub the WS-12 which is pro/industrial looking.

dfuller

Major Contributor
False dichotomy. Trinnov sans treatment is tantamount to setting money on fire.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
False dichotomy. Trinnov sans treatment is tantamount to setting money on fire.
Depends on how you are looking at it.

For bass?

A Trinnov should be able to correct a 10hz peak playing 20dB too high.

How are you going to treat that with a bass trap?

How about a 100dB at 5hz?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Depends on how you are looking at it.

For bass?

A Trinnov should be able to correct a 10hz peak playing 20dB too high.

How are you going to treat that with a bass trap?
I mean, pressure absorbers, but also I'd wonder why you need infrasonic info like that. I'm not pooh-poohing room EQ. I'm saying it's not a replacement for actually getting reverb times controlled.

Top Bottom