• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vitamin D & Optimal Health

tomchris

Have some of you checked your vitamin D status, i.e. nmol/L, resently? Near the end, the late Robert P. Heaney talks about nine vitamin D scientists taking average 5500 IU per day.

The last 5 years or so, I started to suffer from abdominal pain, frequent urination, dehydration, headaches, teeth clenching while sleeping and tinnitus every time I wake up. Among other things, I thought my Vitamin D3 levels around 175 nmol/L were a bit too high, but apparantly not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21114

What was particularly good about this lecture?

JSmith

Master Contributor
In the "Vitamin D, Sunshine, Optimal Health: Putting it all Together" YouTube video, the speaker discusses the essential role of vitamin D in maintaining optimal health, enabling cellular responses, and preventing diseases. Vitamin D is derived from sunlight or diet and plays a crucial role in unlocking the DNA library for most transcriptions, ensuring tissue specificity. A deficiency of vitamin D hinders the functioning of all body systems. Vitamin D has a curvilinear relationship with parathyroid hormone levels, and when vitamin D levels are low, the body compensates by increasing parathyroid hormone production to elevate the active form of vitamin D. Maintaining an adequate intake of vitamin D is essential, particularly during lactation and for pregnant women, with safe intake levels being significantly higher than previously believed. Vitamin D is not effectively stored in fat until it has reached high levels in the serum, and concerns about potential toxicity are generally unfounded. The speaker emphasizes the importance of addressing nutritional needs to maintain adequate levels of vitamin D and the need for increased education in medical schools on its importance.

JSmith

OP
007Shortz

007Shortz

Have some of you checked your vitamin D status, i.e. nmol/L, resently? Near the end, the late Robert P. Heaney talks about nine vitamin D scientists taking average 5500 IU per day.
It is important to note that two units are used to determine vitamin D status, nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml) and nanomoles per liter (nmol/l). The conversion factor is 2.5.

ng/ml*2.5=nmol/L

This seems to be known to the local audience. That's why it's not mentioned separately. The desired vitamin D status today is between 40 and 60 ng/ml. To get to this value you have to take between 5,000 and 10,000 international units (IU) per day. Some also need more. This depends on eating habits, BMI, skin color, place of residence and time in the fresh air.

The sun should be more than 45 degrees in the sky. Otherwise the path of the sun's rays through the ozone layer is too long and a large part of the UVB radiation is absorbed. I personally take 5000 IU a day all year round. If I feel sick or injured 10,000 IU a day for a week. I haven't been measured for a long time. The last measurement was 54 ng/ml (2017).

Mojo Warrior

IME

Vitamin D3 is an anabolic steroid (produced from cholesterol). i.e. it is functionally a hormone that has been mislabeled for decades.

Optimal levels of Vitamin D3, {25(OH)D} are 50-100 ng/ml and toxicity is rare

Because it is derived from cholesterol it can be stored in adipose (fat cells) tissue therefore dosing should take weight/BMI into account

Studies in Hawaii showed that 1/3 of the population did not generate adequate 25(OH)D levels despite sun exposure all year long

In Scandinavia there is epidemic Vitamin D deficiency every winter and this has been thoroughly researched and published

Synthetic Vitamin D2 is an expensive and rather poor substitute for naturally occurring D3

Somafunk

Major Contributor
One of my favorite resouces, on Vit.D
Whilst he may talk sensibly on Vit D he very soon descended into covid conspiracy when he realised that it gained him a following and increased monetary reward on YouTube,
Have some of you checked your vitamin D status, i.e. nmol/L, resently?

Yeah, tested a month or so ago as i have SPMS and levels very healthy. been taking it for decades at 4000iu of Vit D3 and K2 100ug, also 1100mcg of Vit B12 and 2000mg of Vit C 40mg Zinc.

(didn’t stop me developing RRMS then SPMS though :mad:)

Last edited:
OP
007Shortz

007Shortz

If you want to try your luck at achieving these vitamin d values with sunlight alone, you can use the following map as a guide. This type of map is often used to find good locations for photovoltaic systems. The values refer to a surface whose surface normal points to the sun. Cloud cover is included in this map.

DNI_ssedni60big.jpg

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure, ok. Agree on his dive into conspiracy nut land.
From where it was discovered, and many many lectures over the years, here's an older one:
Reaches same conclusions.
Also, VitD blood tests are 'expensive' and not part of typical annual tests - I have to argue to get them done, and only succeed every couple of years. (Medicare, presumably).

Mojo Warrior

Sure, ok. Agree on his dive into conspiracy nut land.
From where it was discovered, and many many lectures over the years, here's an older one:
Reaches same conclusions.
Also, VitD blood tests are 'expensive' and not part of typical annual tests - I have to argue to get them done, and only succeed every couple of years. (Medicare, presumably).

Unless your weight or dosage has dramatically changed there is no need for repeat testing as toxicity is rare.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

That’s a bummer, considering the many upsides of healthy Vit D you’d think it would be a no brainier to ensure the population was screened regularly to check levels.

Got my mum (age 68) on the same as myself along with selenium

OP
007Shortz

007Shortz

Whilst he may talk sensibly on Vit D he very soon descended into covid conspiracy when he realised that it gained him a following and increased monetary reward on YouTube,
Someone recently told me that the half-life for conspiracy theories is currently 6 months. Then they become true. I'm still thinking about it.

MarnixM

If you want to try your luck at achieving these vitamin d values with sunlight alone, you can use the following map as a guide. This type of map is often used to find good locations for photovoltaic systems. The values refer to a surface whose surface normal points to the sun. Cloud cover is included in this map.

View attachment 348508
I am a MS-patient; there is a relation between the percentage MS-patients and this map; how darker, how higher the percentage of people with MS pro 100.000 inhabitants.

OP
007Shortz

007Shortz

I am a MS-patient; there is a relation between the percentage MS-patients and this map; how darker, how higher the percentage of people with MS pro 100.000 inhabitants.
Sad to hear that. There is also said to be a connection with cancer, diabetes, etc. depending on the solar radiation. Have you ever heard of the Coimbra-Protocol? Unfortunately, I don't know whether this is based on scientific evidence.

Maybe also have the values for Omega3, vitamin B1 and B12 checked?

Last edited:
OP
007Shortz

007Shortz

Did not view the video. But I never cared about my vitamin D status and got old with a fairly good health.
I'm glad to hear that. Maybe you've always had enough vitamin D in your blood.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Someone recently told me that the half-life for conspiracy theories is currently 6 months.

What we need is homeopathic conspiracy theories, water them down so much that they cannot possibly cause any harm to the users

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Top Bottom