• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Environmental noise and health

BJL

Here at ASR, we are concerned with the quality of audio equipment, including, obviously, the presence or absence of noise in the system. I have been thinking lately about environmental noise, that is, the signal to noise ratio of the lived environment. In that regard, I recently read two worthwhile articles, that I am sharing in the links below.

The first article concerns the relationship between noise and health. The second article has practical information, including links to a highly detailed (street level, in many instances) noise pollution map of the United States, and a noise measurement app provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control/NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health). The app optionally downloads measurements to the Apple Health App. The app is iOS only. There is also a link to a study in progress at the University of Washington surveying environmental noise levels, seeking measurements from the public at large.

The articles are unfortunately limited insofar as they are specific to the United States, however the concepts and theories are most certainly applicable anywhere. These links should work for anyone.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
interesting stuff, that bloke in Brooklyn really needs triple glazing, or to move house.

I had an old, wood and glass patio door replaced with a fixed double glazed unit, was in the house at the time, the difference in the level of external noise when it was slotted into place was astonishing. Got all the other windows done not long after.

dB app on my phone shows noise level in my living room as 20dB right now - but it is only 0620.

I live in the loop of a major road that runs right through the city, by me it is 8 lanes wide. If I go to bed with the window open the traffic noise causes me to dream that I'm sleeping rough. But with the windows closed you can't hear it at all.

Biggest noise problem here is people parked in the street with diesel engine idling. The frequency is low enough that it transmits right through the double glazing. That does get my stress levels up. Often tempted to go outside and tell them to piss off but I suppose that confrontation would have even worse effect.

badspeakerdesigner

Noise pollution is a huge problem and since the world is kind of a dumpster fire in general, no one really cares to do anything about it. If every person in the world were subjected to noise issues the interrupt their lives, we'd have comprehensive and enforced noise legislation all over in a week. People have no idea how much it can wreck your life. Our sense are delicate so it is kinda funny we've created a world that assaults them to damage almost non-stop.

I have to leave when my hillbilly neighbors decided to shoot guns (gotta love the u.s. .....), it violates the noise ordinance of the area but the police won't do anything because they're afraid of getting shot. Fireworks were just made illegal in my state last year and it's awful, basically fireworks all day and night for a month around the 4th of july. Dogs are scared, wildlife is disrupted, literally no one cares. This topic really gets me angry TBH.

Andysu

Major Contributor
interesting stuff, that bloke in Brooklyn really needs triple glazing, or to move house.

I had an old, wood and glass patio door replaced with a fixed double glazed unit, was in the house at the time, the difference in the level of external noise when it was slotted into place was astonishing. Got all the other windows done not long after.

dB app on my phone shows noise level in my living room as 20dB right now - but it is only 0620.

I live in the loop of a major road that runs right through the city, by me it is 8 lanes wide. If I go to bed with the window open the traffic noise causes me to dream that I'm sleeping rough. But with the windows closed you can't hear it at all.

Biggest noise problem here is people parked in the street with diesel engine idling. The frequency is low enough that it transmits right through the double glazing. That does get my stress levels up. Often tempted to go outside and tell them to piss off but I suppose that confrontation would have even worse effect.
same i hear same , its often with buses around 35Hz once it moves pitch freq changes , i can monitor it with spectrum lab get waterfall readings of the engines and other traffic and infersonic low vibrations

windows unless 4 or 6 inches thick then common windows no matter how good that hifi most portions of the bass is venting though that window
get REW mic on outside of window at night play some sine wave or freq sweep , see how much of it goes though the window

tested on bus no years ago , yellow bus no longer exist was liquidised last no year after 120 no years of service , you'll see real low end down below 20Hz its no myth it does exist yet re-recording mixes on most of these rubbish atmos mixes like that ford vs movie , boring sound mix , hardly felt like being in a car , mixers are not mixing down 0Hz and not doing it correctly enough , £2.50 for all no day ticket , best sub bass i felt

968991_10151647838445149_2101575590_n.jpg

i can tell where the engine is idle and steady trace of around 30hz 35Hz is appearing on spectrum lav ( too many colours ) is what i use

only few real world sounds are or we can feel , movies at cinema home , realistically do not nor should we feel it , it takes only certain things that are felt , traffic do not feel it , unless some rubbish car with exhaust engine noise , high powered jet that excites the air and we may feel it , ( hold some cardboard outside then you can feel traffic ) place hand on shop window then you feel sound , see i have , phd for free :p do the same in home cinema takes certain way to get a home cinema feel like THX CIC/UCI high wycombe

when bus pulls up we hear the engine , when first foot steps on feel the mechanical vibration along with change in the acoustical sound as have moved from outside to inside with second foot now fully coupled with the bus acoustically and mechanically , see i gained two phd in less then few seconds :p

249049_10151647838370149_644814284_n.jpg
580180_10151647822150149_1224653429_n.jpg

Last edited:

bt3

A minority imposes their negative behaviors upon the majority. Moving to less noisy environments is not a realistic choice for many. Why in some states/locales are firework sales encouraged? Why do we need televisions and speakers turned up so loud in so many public spaces (stores/restaurants/restrooms)? Why are there vehicles today being marketed as having a very high decibel exhaust sound? Excessive chronic noise is detrimental to mental health. Inquire about number of noise complaints your local police department receives every week/month/year. Intrusive, unnecessary racket is a huge negative quality-of-life issue.
Last two times I visited the Grand Canyon, there were 30-to-40 something adults blasting music from
their personal devices where many had come to revel in the majesty and serenity of one of natures great places.
The noise and the litter left by visitors really tainted my desire to return.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
A minority imposes their negative behaviors upon the majority. Moving to less noisy environments is not a realistic choice for many. Why in some states/locales are firework sales encouraged? Why do we need televisions and speakers turned up so loud in so many public spaces (stores/restaurants/restrooms)? Why are there vehicles today being marketed as having a very high decibel exhaust sound? Excessive chronic noise is detrimental to mental health. Inquire about number of noise complaints your local police department receives every week/month/year. Intrusive, unnecessary racket is a huge negative quality-of-life issue.
i hate fireworks and my cats hate them as well , dogs , animals birds hate fireworks , they should banned fireworks , it scares animals and no human gives a shhhh it about it

maroons kiddies go to grand canyon and have crappy music , when there is a view to look at and they pissed that opportunity all away with their crappy rap music no doubt

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bt3

i hate fireworks and my cats hate them as well , dogs , animals birds hate fireworks , they should banned fireworks , it scares animals and no human gives a shhhh it about it

maroons kiddies go to grand canyon and have crappy music , when there is a view to look at and they pissed that opportunity all away with their crappy rap music no doubt
I would not single out Rap. It is a viable form of expression as much as any other. Loud music of any genre/type in public spaces not hosting music venue is the problem.

Reactions: BJL
OP
B

BJL

What with the upcoming fourth of July fireworks, which may be a problem depending on your neighbors, I thought I'd share another fine article about environmental noise and pollution from the NY Times, in this case, concerning the effects of noise on birds, insects and other nonhumans.

Top Bottom