• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 344 66.0%

• Total voters

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes individual channel eq is useful Roon can and if you have eq built into your speakers.
Keith

jiji

I am pleased you have the EQ working just be aware that a very ‘horizontal’ target can sound a bit thin, I find a bit more bass and a tiny bit less treble.
Keith
Yes i agree. Problem here is RTA peak plots(1/3 smootthening) still not accurate as sweep , so needs some guessing. Also here only gain i can play, especially closer between frequencies Q values are impossible to adjust. So if i have a dip, then i tried to avoid boosting them to avoid distotion. Boosting frequencies will result in distortion, if not done properly. For example MSO like powerful tools have complex algorithm to solve closer frequencies and compensate between them (especially Q & gains) .
So mostly by negative gain i only managed a curve like this.
Better than nothing..
I also have a PEQ only to remove the peaks below 100 Hz, which is also good.

jiji

To see the slope in its entirety would be nice to see how the curve evolves above 1KHz. To me looks nice, assuming it's beginning to descend as it looks like...
only RTA(1/3 smoothening) shown below for full range
1706979958381.png

Werther44210

I plugged the DMP A6 into XLR/RCA (my amp doesn't have XLR) and I thought it sounded nice - until now I'd been using RCA/RCA. I'm thinking of keeping this connection method.

Attachments

• xlr rca.jpeg
    xlr rca.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 89

Nutul

I plugged the DMP A6 into XLR/RCA (my amp doesn't have XLR) and I thought it sounded nice - until now I'd been using RCA/RCA. I'm thinking of keeping this connection method.
What do you mean with XLR/RCA and RCA/RCA???
If your amp doesn't have XLR, the only way to properly connect it to the A6 is with a RCA - RCA interconnect. And on the A6 you chose RCA-only out.
Better not adventure in those cable-plug-adapters if you do not know exactly how the adapting wiring is done... it could affect (badly) your amp gain.

Werther44210

What do you mean with XLR/RCA and RCA/RCA???
If your amp doesn't have XLR, the only way to properly connect it to the A6 is with a RCA - RCA interconnect. And on the A6 you chose RCA-only out.
Better not adventure in those cable-plug-adapters if you do not know exactly how the adapting wiring is done... it could affect (badly) your amp gain.
No choice, I've got an RCA output to repair, for the time being, it's not an adaptor, an elaborate cable with one side XLR and the other RCA, no loss of gain in my opinion.

Nutul

No choice, I've got an RCA output to repair, for the time being, it's not an adaptor, an elaborate cable with one side XLR and the other RCA, no loss of gain in my opinion.
The problem is not loss of gain, the contrary: having a too-high signal (at double the voltage) coming from XLR and entering RCA.
But then again, it all depends on how the cable is wired. If you know it's correct then, fine.

Werther44210

The problem is not loss of gain, the contrary: having a too-high signal (at double the voltage) coming from XLR and entering RCA.
But then again, it all depends on how the cable is wired. If you know it's correct then, fine.

Werther44210

OK, I used the new equaliser to attenuate certain frequencies, particularly on the bass, but it helps, I use USB with an external DAC. Thanks for the clarification.

jiji

@mirror88 - is it possible to add PEQ for USB C input, so that we can use REW and make use of the PEQ function in an optimized and effective manner? Also would be great if a Rew filter import function to A6 , so that we can import the calculated filters from Rew in to DMP A6 PEQ. Don't know if you need any DSP function for these? But please let us know the possibilities.

I had an argument with a friend about more voltage through xlr. Could you show a link with this information?

Nutul

I had an argument with a friend about more voltage through xlr. Could you show a link with this information?
To what information? The different wirings?
If you refer to the difference in voltage, then that is stated everywhere, being the XLR usually exactly the double as the RCAs on the same device.
(Different devices can have different voltages, but the ratio 2:1 still holds)

To what information? The different wirings?
If you refer to the difference in voltage, then that is stated everywhere, being the XLR usually exactly the double as the RCAs on the same device.
(Different devices can have different voltages, but the ratio 2:1 still holds)
Where can I find inf. about difference in voltage e.g. eversolo dmp a6 xlr vs rca?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

RDaneel2

The 2.50 release has me back to not being able to tell the difference [sonically] between the DMP-A6 and my WiiM Pro, at least when comparing them as streaming "transports". :)

In exploring the richer software and control ecosystem of the Eversolo, I have connected the A6's Apple Music hi-res/lossless app to my Apple Music trial - while everything plays so far, the first thing I notice is that there is no cool metadata (or pictures) being displayed while music is playing.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I thought one of the cool things is the richer playback experience, of which the graphics are certainly a part - note that I am quite satisfied with this aspect of playing my FLAC and DSD collections.

ALL I see when playing with the Apple Music support is something showing the characteristics of the PCM output signal and a "volume" value (which is always "15", given that I am using an external DAC with its own volume control) - that's it.

Is this a limitation of the Apple Music support (i.e., there just isn't any metadata available during playback)? Would the other services like Tidal and Qobuz look as drab on the A6? I am thinking they won't, as most of the ads for this device do show nice graphics and metadata, and I am sure they aren't all just showing FLAC playback...

Nutul

Comparing them as bare streaming transports should normally reveal no difference, as the data is not altered.
TBH the only differences you'd hear should be only in terms of noise and/or distortion... not at all in terms of bass/treble/sounstage and bla bla bla... unless they have some DSP active and applied BEFORE the data goes out to the DAC. This is what transports areand how they work.
EDIT
You should be happy to not be able to tell the difference: this means both transfer the data correctly with no alteration (or at least with the same alteration, but I'd stick with the no)

Top Bottom