• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop May (IEM with USB C DSP cable)

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using the Moondrop May with a Qudelix 5k? If so, how? USB-C to 3.5 or 2.5 adaptor? Is there such a thing and if so which is a good one?

Thanks
Just get a 0.78mm 2 pin cable with either 2.5 or 3.5mm end. But then it's just another c $50 iem (one I quite like)

You can't use the usb c cable with a qudelix.

mc.god

Are you using the Moondrop May with a Qudelix 5k? If so, how? USB-C to 3.5 or 2.5 adaptor? Is there such a thing and if so which is a good one?

Thanks
With a standard aftermarket analog 2.5 or 3.5 cable instead of the usb-dsp original cable.

otseiTiesto

I just found this (here):

May THD% MFRvsDSPvsNoDSP.png

- Moondrop May DSP MFR (from the graph provided by moondrop).
- Green & Violet: New ones.

I don't really know the criteria used to perform these measurements, the one provided by Moondrop or these new. Maybe moondrop did not measure at 94dBSPL or maybe these new measurements have been made at higher levels (or different EQ settings), I don't know... What do you think about all this?

Please note that all these values are extracted from graphs and therefore are not completely correct, but I think they are more than valid to do a quick visual comparison. ;)

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't really know the criteria used to perform these measurements
That's probably the key point here. As an example, the distortion "with no DSP" is higher in the low-freq. than "with DSP"... which only makes sense when you realize that "with DSP" significantly reduces the low-freq. bump.
It would not surprise me if Moondrop distortion data are somewhat a "best case". But anyway, these distortion levels are still pretty low, and mostly in the low-freq. area where it matters less...

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked Moondrop if they could tell me the EQ filters they used for the "Standard" profile as i rather like it but would like to swap cables.

They told me they couldn't divulge. Not sure why it's such a secret given the filter settings are only useful to someone who owns the May anyway ( and the post EQ FR has been measured by many on Squig) but nevermind.

I stripped the heat shrink from the ear hooks on the cable and its a lot less flappy behind my ears now so I will live with the stock cable.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Jimbob54 It seems like the May doesn't use any EQ by default:
graph (42).png graph (41).png

Chances are, the Standard profile is just the IEM's stock response with no DSP applied.

markanini

Major Contributor
I asked Moondrop if they could tell me the EQ filters they used for the "Standard" profile as i rather like it but would like to swap cables.

They told me they couldn't divulge. Not sure why it's such a secret given the filter settings are only useful to someone who owns the May anyway ( and the post EQ FR has been measured by many on Squig) but nevermind.

I stripped the heat shrink from the ear hooks on the cable and its a lot less flappy behind my ears now so I will live with the stock cable.
I guess if you must know, a loop back test, using alligator clips and unsoldered plugs can be used to reveal the correction curve, and the filters can be dervied from that.

Reactions: MCH

unpluggged

I guess if you must know, a loop back test, using alligator clips and unsoldered plugs can be used to reveal the correction curve, and the filters can be dervied from that.
Or better use AutoEQ with DSP-corrected response as the target.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 It seems like the May doesn't use any EQ by default:
View attachment 342662 View attachment 342663

Chances are, the Standard profile is just the IEM's stock response with no DSP applied.
No, it's been measured (super* and others) with 3.5mm, dsp set to zero (same as 3,5) and the various tuning profiles. Can't access squig now but "Standard" profle is definitely a tuning. Lowers bass, pinna hump and fills the 6k dip.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I read that if you load the standard profile it will keep the standard profile even if you switch to a different cable. Is that not accurate?

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I read that if you load the standard profile it will keep the standard profile even if you switch to a different cable. Is that not accurate?
The settings and electronics are in the usb end of the cable so that is not accurate. The iem shells are dumb. You can set the DSP on a device running the moondop app then unplug from that and the DSP settings carry over to the next source device (phone /PC etc)

CedarX

Forum Donor
Just got the Moondrop Chu2-DSP. It appears to be a Chu2 with a variant of the CDSP upgrade cable combo. I assume it will replace Moondrop JIU.
Chu2-DSP requires an updated app (APK), available on Moondrop website, to work correctly. I downloaded the upgrade and, interestingly, the app gives a view of the Chu2 presets PEQs: "default", "no bass", and "basshead":

1706935050131.png

I noticed the 1st filter in the "default" setting: 25 Hz is theoretically not allowed by the app (40-10,000 range only)... but it doesn't protest when I apply it!
As for MAY, the updated app does not show these screens, so no luck seeing each of the MAY presets... This app is still a mess :facepalm:
I'll see if at least, it gets better at detecting & recognizing Moondrop connected devices (so far so good...).

CedarX

Forum Donor
the app gives a view of the Chu2 presets PEQs
Forgot to add a point about the presets: they (can) represent the manufacturer take on their own product. In the case of Chu2, an entry level IEM, three of the filters are the same across each preset, the other twos are about preferred bass level. It gives a good indication of what Moondrop “wishes” the Chu2 to sound like… if they had no design/cost constraints whatsoever.
I personally find interesting exploring these preset filters: hearing what difference they make (or not !!!), what are they correcting or filtering out (a narrow distortion as seen on the Tanchjim One), and generally playing around a little, to better understand what difference I can or can’t hear, what is it that I truly like and dislike. That’s what I do with the similar Tanchjim One, Zero, and Tanya entry-level DSP IEMs.

I wish Moondrop would provide these preset filters for MAY. Yes, they can be inferred from FR measurements… But, MAY is a pretty damn good sounding IEM, and I would love to know details (what PEQ filters) Moondrop would suggest to further improve or tailor MAY to one hearing capabilities and tastes.

That’ll be so much more humble and constructive than claiming that the “newly developed sapphire-evaporation composite flexible-suspension diaphragm reproduces classic beautiful timbre, providing wide-band smooth response and ultra-low distortion of fasts transients” (cited from Moondrop MAY web page). Oh well… I’ll continue with my sweet dreams :)

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Zeos reviewed it, seems very impressed

Phenoez8

Still no measurements or data on the capabilities of these "DSP Cables" yet no?
Hello! I measured the DAC cable that came with the May, check it out here:

Phenoez8

Hello! I have measured all of the EQ presets for May and posted them here:

Phenoez8

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! I have measured all of the EQ presets for May and posted them here:
Good review. Well done that person.

Top Bottom