• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 232 48.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.1%

• Total voters

Dominique-T

So, does it mean that Apple Music app is faulty? When I stream with Apple Music, I get 256 kbps, but if I stream with Qobuz, I get around 1000 kbps with the same WiiM Mini…

Apple doesn’t know how to properly implement AirPlay in their own app?

Brantome

Major Contributor
So, does it mean that Apple Music app is faulty? When I stream with Apple Music, I get 256 kbps, but if I stream with Qobuz, I get around 1000 kbps with the same WiiM Mini…

Apple doesn’t know how to properly implement AirPlay in their own app?
These articles might give some more info as to why I said earlier that Apple Music and Airplay 2 is a mess

Brantome

Major Contributor
Strange. Try googling “Darko audio Airplay” and the first two results should be “Apple AirPlay isn’t always lossless. Sometimes it’s lossy — but why?” and “Apple AirPlay’s audiophile Easter Egg”, both from Oct 23

d3vil0

Hi, maybe someone will help :)

I've got a problem with long loading times on Tidal using Wiim Mini.
I'm using Wiim App to play Tidal music on my Android smartphone.
Both Wiim and Android are on fast 300 Mb/s internet with very good connection to WiFi on 5Ghz.

When I connect to Wiim for first time (fresh open Wiim App) Everything works fine. New songs loads almost instantly.
When I leave it to play for a few minutes and get back to Wiim app, when changing songs - it takes up to even 15 seconds to load the song, for now on, every song takes a long time to load.
When I close permanently Wiim app and open it up again - works fine again.
The only problem is with playing songs/albums i.e Searching songs works like charm.
What I checked:
  • Connected to Wiim via WiFi
  • Standby mode on Wiim - Off
  • Wiim and Smartphone DNS - 8.8.8.8 + set static IP for Wiim
  • Android do not throws Wiim APP into sleep
  • Android WiFi energy saving - turned
  • Other Android smartphone - same thing.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trying to isolate variables:
When you use tidal app to play songs on the wiim do you have the same problem? It seems like a problem with the Wiim app itself.

It is just tidal songs from the wiim app or do you have a similar problem with other sources using the wiim app? Like locally stored music or other music service.

Have you tried logging out of tidal/disconnecting it from the wiim app and then reconnecting it?

Then if all of that no change you could contact customer service and see what they say.

d3vil0

Trying to isolate variables:
When you use tidal app to play songs on the wiim do you have the same problem? It seems like a problem with the Wiim app itself.

It is just tidal songs from the wiim app or do you have a similar problem with other sources using the wiim app? Like locally stored music or other music service.

Have you tried logging out of tidal/disconnecting it from the wiim app and then reconnecting it?

Then if all of that no change you could contact customer service and see what they say.
When use Tidal on Windows PC - same network - works fine.
I've tried to logout/login - no change.

Thx for the tip with customer service - will check them out :)

morillon

Major Contributor
I got rid of my wiim mid 2023 because it still wasn't fixed
for my part, having waited for it since February 22, worked correctly (unusable before) January 23... in flac mode from only January 23..under Android...stable etc.
(to be frank I read here and the wiim forum, I don't remember people complaining about this problem since that date...)

Last edited:

d3vil0

Hi, maybe someone will help :)

I've got a problem with long loading times on Tidal using Wiim Mini.
I'm using Wiim App to play Tidal music on my Android smartphone.
Both Wiim and Android are on fast 300 Mb/s internet with very good connection to WiFi on 5Ghz.

When I connect to Wiim for first time (fresh open Wiim App) Everything works fine. New songs loads almost instantly.
When I leave it to play for a few minutes and get back to Wiim app, when changing songs - it takes up to even 15 seconds to load the song, for now on, every song takes a long time to load.
When I close permanently Wiim app and open it up again - works fine again.
The only problem is with playing songs/albums i.e Searching songs works like charm.
What I checked:
  • Connected to Wiim via WiFi
  • Standby mode on Wiim - Off
  • Wiim and Smartphone DNS - 8.8.8.8 + set static IP for Wiim
  • Android do not throws Wiim APP into sleep
  • Android WiFi energy saving - turned
  • Other Android smartphone - same thing.

Problem was with my Internet Router, I've change to IPv4 only and it works.
Looks like Wiim have a problem with IPv6.

My post on wiim forum:

LuckyLyndy

Perhaps I am not using the correct keywords in my searches. I am running a WiiM mini to an adapter into a Panasonic A/V SA-XR 45.
I have the WiiM app, tablet, and the receiver on max volume. I don't get near the level vs. phono and CD input. Is there a lack of gain or output that I am missing in my setup?
Secondary question: after a fellow member advised me on how to switch to BT for audiobooks off of my phone, the app seems to always default to BT, when most of my music listening should always be with my WiFi for at least redbook 16/44 playback. I can't seem to find a way to make the default always WiFi, rather than the BT.

Side note: I noticed an article on Maria Schneider in last week's Guardian.
I enjoy her compositions. And yesterday, I received an email telling of a concert this Sunday. It may be 3 hours away, but I am stoked! I have my ticket and plan for an early spring weekend of cycling (https://bikekatytrail.com/) and music.

LuckyLyndy

Try WiiM Mini->Toslink->SA-XR45 Toslink in, so without the ART DI/O.
Yes, that works. I had the ART in my system for two things. First was for the phono stage as the receiver does not have one. The second reason was to use the DAC. But my assumption is that when the signal is going into the receiver, you are not bypassing the receiver's internal DAC. Is that correct?
And thank you for suggesting the more direct route.

Top Bottom