• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A few measurements of the Marantz NR1710 slim line AV amp (update jan 2024, power amp section)

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to your measurements of the Marantz poweramp.
I have another question - do you notice any soundimprovements with the topping d10s compared to the Marantz dac ?
Regarding differences - I have not really tested. The only thing I could think of is any combined effect of the early roll-off in the high frequencies of the Marantz.

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I made some measurements of the power amp section. I soldered at 4 ohm resistance using 4x1 Ohm 50W resistors and made some measurements using the E1DA ADC and the Scaler. Source was the Topping D10s.

First a control measurement of the Pre Out of the NR1710. Volume setting was 75 (which is reasonable since I never pass this volume level in practice), and since we already know that the NR1710 pre amp section is no good above volume 80. Analog in at 0 dBFS (≈2V), direct mode gives a SINAD of 93.

Analog in NR1710 direct mode.png

Noise level increases on Pre out when input level is lowered (-20 dBFS).

Analog in NR1710 direct mode, -20 dBfs in.png

Power amp section at 4.47V (≈5W) gets a SINAD of 74.

R speaker, -14.10 dBFS in, vol 75.png

1704460831812.png

Using optical in and auto mode reduces SINAD somewhat (getting that jitter around the 1 kHz tone):

R speaker, -14.10 dBFS in, vol 75, auto, opt in.png

Increasing input level (to -8.5 dBFS, about 8.8V or 20W), analog direct gives around SINAD 77.
R speaker, -8.5 dBFS in, vol 75, analog direct.png

The same wiIth optical in, auto mode
R speaker, -8.5 dBFS in, vol 75, opt in, direct.png

In conclusion, power amp gives around SINAD 73-77 between 5-20W output. This is quite much higher than Amir measured on the sister amp NR1510 (SINAD ≈58-65) and the later incarnation Cinema 70 (SINAD ≈57-69).

As a side note the amp was measured in place in my rack, close to all other equipment with cables attached. I did not check whether this affected mains noise in my measurements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom