• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 47 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 247 80.7%

• Total voters

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK but perhaps stereo vs. monobloc makes a difference with regard to the on/off transients.
That could be. There is a slight click/pop when powering off all my AHB2s.
The power off click/pop occurs powering off the LA4 that is driving the mains in low gain mode,

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
The NCx500 is almost 20dB better and 5x the power in the audible range. The Benchmark can’t even resolve 16 bits. Or handle low impedance loads. And hardly has any power. It’s worth $500 max in 2024.

"The following plot from an Audio Precision audio analyzer shows the output of the AHB2 driving a 4-ohm load in the bridged mono (single channel) mode."
"Note that the output of the AHB2 reaches 518 watts (W) before the THD+N begins rising. The THD+N is only 0.00083% at 518 W!"

It handles low impedance just fine. I don't care if this article has the amp in bridged mode. It's pretty darn good. BTW - I have exactly opposite impression of low impedance from real world use. I have both ATI NC500 and Benchmark (non-bridged mode operation). Care to guess which amp's clipping indicator engaged from time to time with my low impedance speakers (and was at times audible)?

Is the Benchmark "expensive"? It's all relative to your system and how long the amp lasts.

BALKAN_RAKIA

I don't know in my real life a single person who thinks $3500 USD is reasonable investment for powering speakers.
I understand everyone here has a very openly sexual fetish with SINAD graphs, but you are still overpaying for things you can't hear. And because only old people with messed up hearing can afford that at some point you are doing the same thing people who buy $3000 cables are doing. Just justifying it with graphs instead of golden ears.
Can we have a middle ground of common sense with metric like clean watt per $ or something.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know in my real life a single person who thinks $3500 USD is reasonable investment for powering speakers.
You must be hanging around very specific group of people. I know dozens of people who wouldn't buy this because they think it is too cheap to be any good!

Axo1989

Major Contributor

And? More to the point, would I have a beer with them?

I understand everyone here has a very openly sexual fetish with SINAD graphs, but you are still overpaying for things you can't hear. And because only old people with messed up hearing can afford that at some point you are doing the same thing people who buy $3000 cables are doing. Just justifying it with graphs instead of golden ears.

I mean, it costs less than my oven.

Can we have a middle ground of common sense with metric like clean watt per $ or something.

I'm hoping for $/kg myself. Then we can argue about relativity.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
What do you think is a reasonable cost for speakers? Or, do only "old people with messed up hearing" buy more expensive speakers?

Nicolas

Forum Donor
That could be. There is a slight click/pop when powering off all my AHB2s.
The power off click/pop occurs powering off the LA4 that is driving the mains in low gain mode,
For what it's worth I use two ahb2 bridged in low gain triggered on/off from a dac3 and never heard a pop so far.

Opal

Sad thing is that benchmark will be losing sales as the year passes by with the existence of reliable class D amp. If you cant beat them why not join them?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It depends what the amp is worth to you but don’t forget it also depends what money is worth to you.

I am sure they sell a lot more of these in Manhattan than Scranton. For plenty of old money, successful business owners or professionals with 1% salaries, $3,500 may only be a day or two income.

You may not run in those circles but if you are a law firm partner or c-suite exec or professional athlete, you would know tons of people with even more expensive toys.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I don’t understand why some folks here care what someone else decides to pay for an amp??? There’s myriad reasons beyond ultimate performance that someone can choose a specific piece of gear. Unless someone is entering the discussion indicating they were duped or encountered false advertising, I don’t see why people feel like they need to “educate” others about their own perception that someone else “overpaid” for a piece of gear. If you choose to buy the cheaper piece, fine. If you choose the more expensive piece, fine. The zeal exhibited by some members for judging other people’s choices is one of the turn offs for me here at ASR.

elvisizer

what is going on today lol this thread is wild

JP

Major Contributor
OK but perhaps stereo vs. monobloc makes a difference with regard to the on/off transients.
I don’t know - have never bridged them. It’s a minor tick-type sound.

FrankF

Forum Donor
While it's a nice amp alright, I would take an Apollon NCx500 amp over it, let alone for 1/3 of the price.

You could get 4 of the Benchmarks for the price of the Mola Mola Makua in your signature.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t understand why some folks here care what someone else decides to pay for an amp??? There’s myriad reasons beyond ultimate performance that someone can choose a specific piece of gear. Unless someone is entering the discussion indicating they were duped or encountered false advertising, I don’t see why people feel like they need to “educate” others about their own perception that someone else “overpaid” for a piece of gear. If you choose to buy the cheaper piece, fine. If you choose the more expensive piece, fine. The zeal exhibited by some members for judging other people’s choices is one of the turn offs for me here at ASR.
It Isn’t hard to look at relatively expensive gear and pass judgement. I find myself reflecting on comments I’ve made on this site. I think I’ve come full circle and really no longer care what it costs. If someone wants to pay for VU meters, why not? You want cables as thick as my wrist? Go for it so long as they function properly. To me, the core of what ASR is about is how gear performs objectively. This Benchmark amp does. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

Chester

Aren't you by any chance talking about a tick-type sound coming from the amp itself - i.e. not the speakers ?

No, definitely comes from the speakers. I’m not worried about it, doesn’t sound like the others are either. Benchmark say it’s normal so it’s all good.

Holy Spirit

Does anyone know what is the output stage of Benchmark? Is it emitter follower, Sziklai or something different? 20W idle power dissipation suggests Sziklai.

Top Bottom