• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

batfunk

Ordered mine on the 22nd of October, it shipped on the 25th and I received it today (in France).
I forgot I had to pay VAT because of the recent regulations change about goods entering the UE, good thing I got it on "sale".
Overall I paid 456$ shipped (I had a 15$ discount from my Drop + THX Panda purchasingse earlier this year) so not too bad I guess.
I'll wait until they are burned in before commenting on how they sound.
They seem to be VERY VERY comfy which is nice (it was expected based on what I read online).
However, the pads are... well just look at the pictures and tell me what you guys think.
The thickness is pretty uneven and the pads seem to be poorly placed (especially visible near the connectors).
Is this just bad QC, what do you guys think I should do? Try to reseat the pads maybe or just ask Drop support? Did you guys have the same issue?
Thanks in advance for your answers :).
View attachment 163078View attachment 163079View attachment 163080
Just received mine too, try them immediatly Without Eq on my smsl p200. My subjective review:Sound was clean but little uneven. Removed earpads, less muffled, much better as Amir quoted.
Compared with Grado RS2(no abx, volume barely equalized with an Android app), rs2 sound was more punchy and soundstage larger(open against closed).
Aeon Closed X is very hungry, i switched to high gain mode, much better again, more oomph.
I think Closed X need EQ to fulfill their full potential, i Will try Robo EQs tonight. I need brain burn-in too...

Comfy, high quality finishing and presentation(Nice box), you get a lot more for 479 bucks than Grado ones...

:D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received mine too, try them immediatly Without Eq on my smsl p200. My subjective review:Sound was clean but little uneven. Removed earpads, less muffled, much better as Amir quoted.
Compared with Grado RS2(no abx, volume barely equalized with an Android app), rs2 sound was more punchy and soundstage larger(open against closed).
Aeon Closed X is very hungry, i switched to high gain mode, much better again, more oomph.
I think Closed X need EQ to fulfill their full potential, i Will try Robo EQs tonight. I need brain burn-in too...

Comfy, high quality finishing and presentation(Nice box), you get a lot more for 479 bucks than Grado ones...

:D
If your reference point is (any) Grado then these will definitely feel "subdued".. But yes they do need some juice. I would have some quality time with just the Aeon , get used to the sound then look to apply EQ if you think still needed.

batfunk

I have no doubt that Closed X are better Headphones but I'm used to open headphones, so we'll see.
For the fun, i tried Closed X with Denon x4500 Headphone jack, i barely got 60 db listening level with volume pot at +0db...
Still Enough for night playing i think.

batfunk

Just a question,i read that perforated pads were included with closed x. Perforated in the middle ? I see none in my box, only 2 notched ones.

Firefly00

Just a question,i read that perforated pads were included with closed x. Perforated in the middle ? I see none in my box, only 2 notched ones. And one pad is missing too...
My Closed RT has partially perforated ear pads, so does the X. Are you referring to the tuning filters? Mine came with 1 pair each of: black foam, black felt, one notch white felt, two notch white felt. Maybe the X comes with a different set of filters? Perhaps Resolve can comment on what his pairs shipped with…

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, i was talking about tuning filters
Tuning filters should be removed if you try my EQ's - that's because @Resolve measured them without the tuning filters included, so my EQ is really only valid if you remove the tuning filters.

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Yeah, i was talking about tuning filters
Tuning filters should be removed if you try my EQ's - that's because @Resolve measured them without the tuning filters included, so my EQ is really only valid if you remove the tuning filters.

I also find the tuning filters to reduce the "openness" of the soundstage due to less reflected energy.

Cardant

That appears to a issue in the alignment of the stitching.
They are supposed to be thinner at the front. As to that stitching problem, I wouldn’t be bothered.
Bigger issue is the foam twisting, but that is basically cosmetic and doesn’t affect comfort
Mine are roughly the same as yours. There doesn't appear to be any significant channel imbalance that I can detect from using tones. Hopefully I can get my set measured before the end of the year.
Thank you for your feedback guys, I'm relieved it isn't a huge issue.

Firefly00

Thank you for your feedback guys, I'm relieved it isn't a huge issue.
I’d be interested to know if the Dekoni sheepskin pads suffer from the twisting issue. Dan Clark says that it is caused by the thin wall of the pad combined with the deep pads.

I may end up buying those pads, if so I will report back.

Cardant

I’d be interested to know if the Dekoni sheepskin pads suffer from the twisting issue. Dan Clark says that it is caused by the thin wall of the pad combined with the deep pads.

I may end up buying those pads, if so I will report back.
I look forward to that.

BTW, I sent Drop support the earpads pictures I posted on here and they offered me 25$ in store credit or a 20$ partial refund or a replacement.

batfunk

well,after hours of listening,i think you nailed it with Aeon closed x sample 2 EQ!:D It's a very good base: very good openess and voice clarity but ,on my humble opinion,too shy on bass(Closed x bass quality is too good to waste it) and too brillant for my taste(lack of bass reinforcement put highs in front).
I just adjust Low shelf to +3 db and High shelf to a-3(-6 for some guitar recordings).

Well done Robbo999999,i already forgot my beloved Grado RS2...:p

Last edited:

batfunk

if you want a good track to test your settings,try this one!:

Bass,violins,guitar,percussions,voice,with crisp production and fantastic stereo!.And most of all,a great song...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
well,after hours of listening,i think you nailed it with Aeon closed x sample 2 EQ!:D It's a very good base: very good openess and voice clarity but ,on my humble opinion,too shy on bass(Closed x bass quality is too good to waste it) and too brillant for my taste(lack of bass reinforcement put highs in front).
I just adjust Low shelf to +3 db and High shelf to a-3(-6 for some guitar recordings).

Cool, I'm glad one of the EQ's improved it for you! (The Sample#2 EQ) And yes, you were right to tune the bass level to suit your tastes (Filter #10, 105Hz Low Shelf).

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Great news! Another happy user of Robbo's awesome Sample 2 EQ.

You can experiment with the low shelf filter I use, which is 250hz/0.5Q/+1.5db. I find with this in place, I don't need a shelf on the highs. The only adjustment I made to the upper frequencies of Robbo's EQ is to cut the 7020hz/2.0Q/+6.10db filter to +3.5db. Something to try, at least.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the good advice. I'll leave him be until the end of next week, then I'll create a new message thread.
Hi, did you ever hear back from Oratory at all? He seems to have gone quiet on me (too), he measured my HD560s over 3 weeks ago and I've not heard back from him after asking him some (initially) fairly simple questions re the frequency response measurements he sent me (he's also still got my headphone).

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Hi, did you ever hear back from Oratory at all? He seems to have gone quiet on me (too), he measured my HD560s over 3 weeks ago and I've not heard back from him after asking him some (initially) fairly simple questions re the frequency response measurements he sent me (he's also still got my headphone).
Hi Robbo,

No, I haven't. I hope he's okay. I'll wait a couple of weeks and start a new conversation with him, as you recommended. Hopefully he gets back to you soon. That would be quite crappy if you have to wait months to get your HP's back.

aandres_gm

I just saw he was active on twitter, so he seems to be ok. Hopefully you'll hear back from him soon.

Edit: by the way, my family received the headphones yesterday. FedEx's tracking is a mess. The thing kept updating after the package got delivered.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Robbo,

No, I haven't. I hope he's okay. I'll wait a couple of weeks and start a new conversation with him, as you recommended. Hopefully he gets back to you soon. That would be quite crappy if you have to wait months to get your HP's back.
I just saw he was active on twitter, so he seems to be ok. Hopefully you'll hear back from him soon.
Yes, and he's been active on reddit too, he just hasn't responded to me re my PM'd questions in 3 weeks whilst still having my headphone, which I view as altogether strange (amoungst other adjectives) to be honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom