• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile electrical system improvement article

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I rolled my eyes when I read that as well. They likely don't know how to measure it.
Yep, It takes an instrument with 3 points, in his case 1 at the bed, 1 at 62' and 1 at 100'.
The larger the bed, the further the far rod (but mid is always 62%). Or fall of potential but that is more involved.

I improved mine.
3 rods 10' apart, 4/0 buried, 2 in an always moist run off
100' of Cu water line
100' of UG rigid steel conduit bonded to the utility ground system
1200' reinforced slab on grade

Attachments

• F27ED329-3417-4B71-95DB-4A118992316E.jpeg
    F27ED329-3417-4B71-95DB-4A118992316E.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 80

audio2design

Major Contributor
Given a licensed electrician did the install it's probably safe to assume that the ground rods are bonded together in a proper code compliant fashion and that two rods were just used to lower resistance (not to mention easing inspection).

Ingenieur

Given a licensed electrician did the install it's probably safe to assume that the ground rods are bonded together in a proper code compliant fashion and that two rods were just used to lower resistance (not to mention easing inspection).

Two rods are required unless you actually measure below 25 Ohm.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fremer does reviews and anecdotes (and this whole thing was an anecdote) whose sole purpose is to demonstrate how fantastically discriminating he is. He's a toxic mix of insecurity and ego. Fascinating from a psychological point of view. Not so fascinating otherwise.
I would modify that a bit. Your observation that his purpose is to demonstrate an ersatz aural discrimination is spot on, but it is not his 'sole' purpose. In addition to the ego thing, he exists as part of the 'marketing arm' of the high-end mafia. That is, magazines such as Stereophile exist to sell ads for gear (and support dealers--what few of those are left). Fremer and his colleagues are the means by which this can be done. Also, from a personal point, it's a good way for him to keep the freebies coming, and probably helps pay his bills.

Of course this little episode isn't going to really help sell gear. It might help in selling a few 'power conditioners', but the neurotic audiophile isn't likely going to call up an electrician and have his house rewired. So Fremer's not helping out the trade.

Next, you are also correct that it's a function of a weird 'mix of insecurity and ego'. I would not call that 'fascinating', however, but grotesque. Anyone who has read in print (or witnessed in public) his past episodes of wild and outrageous behavior realizes that there is something pretty loosey-goosey going on with him. His wild rants in letters to Peter Aczel (and confronting him in public when, through ignorance of language, he thought Aczel had called him a homosexual), and his threatening to sue minor Internet blogger Art Salvatore for libel, are examples of that. Your description of 'toxic' is noted.

As far as this latest bit of Fremerism? Essentially, he's recycling nonsense from years back. You can call Fremer a lot of things, but you can't ever call him unique or inventive. The first person I ever read that thought all this ancillary electrical stuff was important was a writer for Harry Pearson's old rag, the Absolute Sound. That was Enid Lumely. I've mentioned her before, but at the time I thought Enid was Harry writing under a pseudonym as a way to make a humorous statement about the often overblown idiocy of the 'high-end'. Until I realized that Enid was a real person, who was serious in her beliefs, and also that Harry was totally humorless. In fact, a lot of 'reviewers' don't seem to have much of a sense of humor, and if you call them on what they write, they often react very angrily.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure that the new installation is both safe and up to code.

But

1) Why would you put up with hum for so long? Especially as a professional reviewer with multi thousand dollar system? Any hum is totally unacceptable. I would not live with it for a second and I'm not a reviewer nor have I spent a fortune on equipment

2) It's clear that the fancy mains regenerators did not solve the problem, why was this never mentioned previously?

3) It's not surprising that with no hum there is a perceived improvement in sound quality - there's no hum anymore!

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fremer has posted on ASR before, though IIRC mainly to (literally!) cuss people out. I was curious why the transfer switch seemed to introduce all sorts of trouble, noise, whatever, and mentioned way back then that grounding would seem a more likely culprit. I have not read the article yet.

Al wires can be a real problem up to and including fire hazard due to poor connections and corrosion from Al/Cu interfaces. Those issues have been solved for decades, however, and are mainly just at the service entrance itself. We used to kill power to retighten the connections once a year or so.
AL wiring is almost never used in US residential applications for that reason.

Lambda

Major Contributor
The typical regulatory requirement for residential is 25 ohms. It's not meant to trip the 200 amp service breaker.
Yeah see that's what i meant by there are very different ways to do it around the world.
it can't brake the the service breaker in case of a fault and it can’t ensure a save PE potential in case of a PEN fault.
25oms is only 4.4A

1635252648495.png

1635252746511.png

This compared to "we just hammer some rods in the ground"

It is a code violation. He may have bonded them all together,
Whats the problem with the setup in they did in the video?
What makes you think 2 Ground Rods in this configuration are worse compered to one?

Edit: or did i misunderstand you post?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Why would you put up with hum for so long? Especially as a professional reviewer with multi thousand dollar system?

Maybe it was something he just noticed? I've read in the literature that sometimes medication loses it's effectiveness, and then symptoms that were previously controlled (usually strange noises and 'voices' telling them to do things they normally wouldn't do) manifest.

For most people, a trip to the psychiatrist for a routine medication adjustment would be the thing, but in severe cases of neurosis, if the initial symptoms aren't caught early, people do stuff like hang aluminum foil over table lamps and small appliances. Sometimes its cable risers and magic bricks on top of amplifiers. Things like that.

When symptoms get really bad they've been known to do more radical things, like rewire their house.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Both is very relative. The Code changes drastically form location to location around the world.
Usually up to code is a very low bar and dose nor really guaranty Safety and performance.
On the other hand a good and "save" installation can easily not be made up to Code even though its better.

Also nothing is ever 100% Save but what we conciser Save is very different form location to location.

Yes Germany likes to go overboard at times to keep their trades busy
Yes. they realy have a Code and safety fetish.

I have a feeling it would be very tough to justify this from a cost/benefit analysis against other spend areas that save lives.
Hm putting tots of metal in ground is not relay expensive since the hole is already there as well as lots of the steal is structural part of the foundation.
It's more or less just a extra stainless steal ribbon around the basement.

So its not mush extra cost since building a house her is way more expensive anyways but it is often made to last multiple generations.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Hm putting tots of metal in ground is not relay expensive since the hole is already there as well as lots of the steal is structural part of the foundation.
It's more or less just a extra stainless steal ribbon around the basement.

So its not mush extra cost since building a house her is way more expensive anyways but it is often made to last multiple generations.

Would you perceive a need (or benefit) for better grounding with high voltage PV systems (DC at the solar end). U.S. is limited to 600V residential I believe. Not sure about Europe these days.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Would you perceive a need (or benefit) for better grounding with high voltage PV systems (DC at the solar end). U.S. is limited to 600V residential I believe. Not sure about Europe these days.
Don’t see how the voltage of the solar installation would influence the needed grounding.

I would make sure all the metal part around the solar insulation are grounded with a impedance low enough so the there potential would not rises over 48V (or what you consider the save limit) in case of short.
But this is current dependent.

I don’t know the voltage limit for residential PV strings. But i don't think over 600V would make make economic sens anyways.
The trend here goes to micro inverter systems and smaller strings.

Hugo9000

Maybe it was something he just noticed? I've read in the literature that sometimes medication loses it's effectiveness, and then symptoms that were previously controlled (usually strange noises and 'voices' telling them to do things they normally wouldn't do) manifest.

For most people, a trip to the psychiatrist for a routine medication adjustment would be the thing, but in severe cases of neurosis, if the initial symptoms aren't caught early, people do stuff like hang aluminum foil over table lamps and small appliances. Sometimes its cable risers and magic bricks on top of amplifiers. Things like that.

When symptoms get really bad they've been known to do more radical things, like rewire their house.

Sure, you could rewire the house...
Or, if you're Chuck McGill, you just rip it all out!

ta240

Major Contributor
....., but why the hell did the listening room need to be in the electrical loop for the emergency generator in the first place? If the power goes out, doesn't he have more pressing issues to deal with than listening to his stereo?.....

Unless he is a lineman with the power company, probably not. If it isn't a hurricane or earthquake then it is just a wait and see situation.

Depending on where he lives and if in that location outages last 12 hours to a couple of days then I could see having the audio system work as being pretty handy.

DSJR

Major Contributor

But

1) Why would you put up with hum for so long? Especially as a professional reviewer with multi thousand dollar system? Any hum is totally unacceptable. I would not live with it for a second and I'm not a reviewer nor have I spent a fortune on equipment

2) It's clear that the fancy mains regenerators did not solve the problem, why was this never mentioned previously?

3) It's not surprising that with no hum there is a perceived improvement in sound quality - there's no hum anymore!
Mart, I'd like to comment that in the UK, there are very strict rules for house wiring and safety (I'm minded of a chap of our acquaintance who went bananas on his audio-room supply some years back and looking back, I'm not sure all of it was legal - please correct me if I'm wrong here). Over here though, it never hurts to have a qualified electrician or electricity board engineer check the meter connections and mains sockets (a pal had all but loose connections in his consumer unit in a 60's built property).

PLEASE folks - and obviously bearing in mind your location and laws in such locations, get PROFESSIONALS to check and sort your wiring out if necessary :)

P.S. May not matter at all with mains, but if any comparisons with aluminium based speaker cables is remotely possible, aluminium has greater resistance, irrespective of any chemical mismatch with copper over time.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Tesla whole house backup battery and every night when the sun sets I go on my saved solar power. I can't tell any difference with my audio gear and my ears but would be curious to know if there is a variation in electrical interference. Do any of you people with sophisticated measuring equipment have a backup system to measure? I guess one could try with a UPS. Has that been measured?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Tesla whole house backup battery and every night when the sun sets I go on my saved solar power. I can't tell any difference with my audio gear and my ears but would be curious to know if there is a variation in electrical interference. Do any of you people with sophisticated measuring equipment have a backup system to measure? I guess one could try with a UPS. Has that been measured?

Excellent - off topic, but briefly: how long does the stored power last? Do you get through to the next morning, when the sun comes up?

audio2design

Major Contributor
P.S. May not matter at all with mains, but if any comparisons with aluminium based speaker cables is remotely possible, aluminium has greater resistance, irrespective of any chemical mismatch with copper over time.

It has less resistance per cross-sectional area. By weight, aluminum is a much better conductor.

Top Bottom