• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Otari MX-5050 Review (Reel to Reel Tape Deck)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This, however, is neither the best deck ever, nor does it have a compander. The top machines, with companders, could approach CD quality.
That said, analog tape is a relatively short-lived and expensive medium.
Here's a nice "summary": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-to-reel_audio_tape_recording
CD quality means around 100dB SINAD. The best that was achieved with Dolby SR was around 70dB.

The analogue tape was widely used since early 50s till late 80s. So far digital still haven’t over-lived it. I wouldn’t call it a “short-lived” medium.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I seem to remember the surprise in the audio press when it was discovered that the Nixon White House recorder used for the infamous Watergate tapes was a lowly consumer Sony and not at least a Revox (or even better an Ampex, as that was an American brand).
I thought those machines were made by UHER.

respice finem

Major Contributor
CD quality means around 100dB SINAD. The best that was achieved with Dolby SR was around 70dB.

The analogue tape was widely used since early 50s till late 80s. So far digital still haven’t over-lived it. I wouldn’t call it a “short-lived” medium.
I said approach, not equal or surpass. At least S/N with dbx-1 was around 100 dB AFAIR.
Short-lived in the sense of deteriorating with time, even with "counter-measures".

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I said approach, not equal or surpass. At least S/N with dbx-1 was around 100 dB AFAIR.
Short-lived in the sense of deteriorating with time, even with "counter-measures".
30dB shortfall is not exactly approaching is it? And no, dBX never achieved 100dB S/N ratio, not even close. As good as Dolby’s marketing I’m sure studios would have switched to dBX. They didn’t.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
30dB shortfall is not exactly approaching is it? And no, dBX never achieved 100dB S/N ratio, not even close. As good as Dolby’s marketing I’m sure studios would have switched to dBX. They didn’t.
DBX altered the record/playback frequency response more than Dolby due to the nature of their companders.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , How about the multi-tone test? That would be very interesting (to me).
There is no such tone on the test tape. When I make my own recording I can test more stuff.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DBX altered the record/playback frequency response more than Dolby due to the nature of their companders.
dBX had a single band compander compared to Dolby’s four. Because of that you could hear it operating. This meant professionals didn’t like it. It used pre-emphasis which meant it sounded harsh when played back without a decoder. This meant consumers didn’t like it either. It was never a success and stayed as a novelty.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Be interesting to see what a pro-level machine would do. Ampex quoted about 20-30dB better THD+N than this on the ATR102, as I recall...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Be interesting to see what a pro-level machine would do. Ampex quoted about 20-30dB better THD+N than this on the ATR102, as I recall...
Not as good as you would imagine. The performance of analog tape is predominantly limited by the abilities of the tape itself. The later tape formulations such as GP9 operated at +9 dB above normal operating level. Most of the signal to noise ratio improvements came from that ability. The ATR series Ampex machines had a higher bias frequency than the 100kHz of the earlier machines and this reduced distortion to a degree.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sure can read. Understanding humour is not your strength is it?
I’m not a psychic. I read the words and look at signs. None was there for me see the humour.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not as good as you would imagine. The performance of analog tape is predominantly limited by the abilities of the tape itself. The later tape formulations such as GP9 operated at +9 dB above normal operating level. Most of the signal to noise ratio improvements came from that ability. The ATR series Ampex machines had a higher bias frequency than the 100kHz of the earlier machines and this reduced distortion to a degree.
I doubt it would be anything close to even mediocre digital without a doubt.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

respice finem

Major Contributor
I would if it was on your post.
humour.JPG

Top Bottom