• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Otari MX-5050 Review (Reel to Reel Tape Deck)

Labjr

Major Contributor
I used 8 track and cassette too. I thought 8 track was a mechanical disaster. Every manufacturer had a different idea how to make it cheaply as possible. Maybe would've worked better with a stationary, 8track head, switched electronically but that probably cost too much. Instead, they threw cams and solenoids at the problem. The format was invented by the Lear Jet people. I hope the same engineers didn't design their avionics!

Last edited:

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got my first reel to reel tape deck in 1965, a Sony and over the years I had another Sony and a Tandberg. My current set up includes two Pioneer decks: an RT-1020L with the 10" reels and RT-707 with 7" reels. The 1020L I bought new in 1974 and the 707 I purchased from a widow across the street after her husband passed away. Both are used with Advent Model 100 Dolby Noise Reduction units. The Advents can be very finicky but really reduce the tape hiss. I've had to replace belts and a pinch roller over the years but both sound great, better at the faster 7.5 inches per second speed. I still have a Marantz Dolby adjustment tape to calibrate the recorder to the Advents and use Maxell UD-XL tape.

I was never as well off as my voice teacher who had a Uher 9000 and Tandberg 64 (both stolen!) and later a Revox A77.

BTW I keep the silver components on one rack and the black ones on the other.:)

This also satisfies my lust for VU meters!

View attachment 155908
I had one of those Pioneer decks back in the day and the chain I worked for at the same time sold the Advent units. Really like the 10" reels after using decks with only the 7" ones for several years.

pjn

Fascinating - I always wanted a reel-to-reel when I was a student but could only manage cassette decks and spent a good bit of time fretting about tape quality. TDK was my go-to. Finally bought a nice Nakamichi cassette deck in 1990 (which I still have but haven't used for at least a decade) but still never got to reel-to-reel, so I really enjoyed this review

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good open reel sounds fabulous. Just puts a smile on your face with its warm, fat sound. You can't turn it off- that is until the tape runs out... ;)
It does indeed! I remember at one of our North East hifi get togethers someone played some open reel tapes which everyone thought sounded wonderful - much better than digital was heard more than once - until the owner revealed that the tapes were made from digital. Still, it was very pleasant, especially with classic rock.

The only open reel that I've owned was an Ampex 351 which I picked up for next to nothing at one of the garage sales that used to occur regularly in the parking lot at JPL in Pasadena (if I remmber the venue correctly - it was long time ago). I didn't keep it long as someone offered me 10 times what I paid for it. Perhaps some of the So. Cal people remember those events in Pasadena - there was more weird and wonderful gear (especially tube gear) at those events than I've ever seen anywhere else.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Nice journey into history.
But i prever.
81pngNVLPhL._AC_SX444_SY639_FMwebp_QL65__1.jpg

respice finem

Major Contributor

tomtoo

Major Contributor

respice finem

Major Contributor
Which brings us back to topic - the ultimate backup strategy for the music industry was to digitize the tapes as soon as it became possible.
They live quite well with and of it, by issuing endless "remasters".

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Which brings us back to topic - the ultimate backup strategy for the music industry was to digitize the tapes as soon as it became possible.
They live quite well with and of it, by issuing endless "remasters".

Haha brings some ScFi thinkig in me up.

It was thought to be inpossible to bring the original sound of the beatles mastertapes up again. Endless remastering destroyed them. But with our new concept of quantum time travell backmaster plugin, we give you the original sound of the original 24 track tapes. Master how you like, or go deeper let play Paul a stratocaster. We make it possible. ;)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, we have first super hard set of measurements of any tape deck now. Gives us some anchoring as far as objective results are concerned.

I am really surprised how bad the SINAD and S/N ratio are, after hearing for years how reel to reel offers the highest fidelity of any analog medium and how noise isn’t a problem with low-generation tapes. Looks like tape hiss might not be a problem with low generation tapes but poor noise performance seems to be endemic to the hardware rather than the media.

Another audiophile myth shattered, I guess.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks like tape hiss might not be a problem with low generation tapes but poor noise performance seems to be endemic to the hardware rather than the media.
I can easily hear tape hiss from seating position on my tapes during gaps in tracks. So the issue is definitely there. Naturally when music plays it is not very audible.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I am really surprised how bad the SINAD and S/N ratio are, after hearing for years how reel to reel offers the highest fidelity of any analog medium and how noise isn’t a problem with low-generation tapes. Looks like tape hiss might not be a problem with low generation tapes but poor noise performance seems to be endemic to the hardware rather than the media.

Another audiophile myth shattered, I guess.
This, however, is neither the best deck ever, nor does it have a compander. The top machines, with companders, could approach CD quality.
That said, analog tape is a relatively short-lived and expensive medium.
Here's a nice "summary": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-to-reel_audio_tape_recording

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This, however, is neither the best deck ever, nor does it have a compander. The top machines, with companders, could approach CD quality.
That said, analog tape is a relatively short-lived and expensive medium.
Here's a nice "summary": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-to-reel_audio_tape_recording
To be sure, growing up I did know a few people with reel-to-reel decks in the early 80’s. I remember in 1982 bird sitting for a guy who went out of town for weeks and admiring his stereo, complete with a reel-to-reel deck. I think for most people during that time period, reel-to-reel was a curiosity as cassette tapes, LP’s, and 45’s were the main media consumed. Shortly thereafter, the CD would supplant them all.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Needed a change of pace so decided to go after a project I planned almost five years ago, namely measuring my Otari MX-5050 BIII-2 Reel to Reel take deck! Otari was the last company in the world making Reel to Reel tape recorders and sadly, ceased production a few years ago. I got my sample from the Reel to Reel master, Ki Choi. I think it cost something like $5,000 to $6,000 new. Used ones go from a range of prices from $2K to $4K from what I see. As always, it is a risky thing to buy one online as conditions of these decks is all over the place and service is not cheap. Mine is extremely clean and as the sub-model indicates, is a more recently sample

Here is a shot of the beast as best as I could fit it in my lightbox:

View attachment 155831

What makes this model unique and valuable among tape heads these days is that it comes with both NAB and IEC equalization. The latter is what is used for a lot of tape production today (what little of it there is). A lot of consumer decks don't support it and require a hack or outboard equalization/amplifier. The fancy red spool is aftermarket which I bought at an audio show. Costs a couple hundred dollars just for that! Blank tapes are $60 from what I recall. And pre-recorded ones like the one on it are $290 but go way up to something like $600. Each! For some 30 minutes of music as these are recorded at 15 inches/second. So not a practical format for most people. But for those of us who wished we had such a nice unit when young and poor, it brings bag fond memories and good listening as you watch the spools turn and meters dance.

Being rather old, there is hardly an measurements of them by today's standards. There is also chicken and egg problem of how to get an accurate test tape. The de-factor ruler in that world is MRL and that is the tape I used for my testing. It has just a set of test tones and it too is very expensive. How good it is, I don't know. The measurements in the box come from a chart recorder! Let's say it is a few generations behind my Audio Precision analyzer. :)

Otari MX-5050III-2 Measurements
1 kHz tone has been the standard forever in audio and hence it naturally came on the MRL tape so I used it to run our usual dashboard:

View attachment 155832

Distortion is at -57 dB or so but add a bunch of them and some noise and we land at SINAD of 46 dB. It is strange to see the elevated low frequency noise. Subtracting FFT measurement gain gives us a noise floor that is in the 40s! I wanted to see how much of it was the tape format and how much was the machine so I stopped the playback and measured the noise out of the unit:

View attachment 155833

Yuck. There is that rising low frequency noise floor but also a bunch of solid tones. What on earth is the 1 kHz and its harmonics coming from? No wonder folks get outboard electronics for these decks (although who knows how good they are).

BTW, the convention for measuring these older electronics is a-weighting so I thought I turn on that filter and see if SINAD gets better:

View attachment 155834

It goes up 3 dB so that low frequency noise is hurting it some. BTW, this is why I don't use a-weighting in my measurements. It really hides a lot of sins in equipment performance at lower frequencies.

There are skirts around the main tone if you look carefully which indicates jitter/speed variations. Watching the dashboard in real time showed a ton of variations. It is a jarring experience coming from today's systems. At 20 kHz, I measured 19.8 kHz frequency so we have about a 1% speed error.

There is not a whole lot more on the tape than a set of fixed frequencies to measure frequency response. My old Audio Precision analyzer could run a sweep against external sources like this by detecting the frequency and then plotting its level. The new APx555 I have now can't do that. It expect you to record its own sequence on the unit and play that to get asynchronous measurements. So I had to resort to the real-time recorder to plot the frequency on the right, and level on the left:

View attachment 155835

The first frequency is 32 Hz and highest is 19.8 kHz. I set reference at 1 kHz to 0 dB. We see a bass boost at 32 Hz by 1.6 dB or so. And a massive droop at 16 and 20 kHz. Not sure if this is a fault of this unit or in general. It might be this unit as the other channel took a nose dive above 1 kHz! I had cleaned the heads and could see nothing obvious that could cause this externally. Worse yet, I don't know if the tape is bad this way (I assume not but it is possible). I loaned out my last blank tape so need to buy another to record and playback and see how that behaves.

Conclusions
I sort of assumed SINAD would land in 40s and it did. I didn't expect the rest of the garbage this deck produces, nor the one bad channel. Need to find the time to tear it open and see what could be done to improve it. I have not listened to it in months. When I did, my favorite second generation master tape from rock music of 1970s is superb. It easily outperforms the digital ones which have been remastered to death. It is eye and ear popping how much nicer they sound than digital. I often play that tape when people come over first and their jaw drops on the floor in how good it sounds. Tape hiss is there during gaps between tracks and the highs sound a bit distorted to me but neither takes away from enjoyment of that tape. It makes me grin thinking about it as I type this!

Tape gives me the experience of the analog recording without loudness wars and remastering without the limitations and aggravation of LP. I also find the format so much more gorgeous to look at as it plays than anything out there, digital or analog. It is a shame that its popularity has pushed the price of used decks so high.

Anyway, we have first super hard set of measurements of any tape deck now. Gives us some anchoring as far as objective results are concerned.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
The performance is worse than it should be. Have you set the bias and equalization and demagnetized the heads? Did you perform azimuth alignment? The test tape you have has tones specifically for this purpose. The bias has to be set for the specific tape you are using otherwise performance can be significantly degraded.

For what its worth, I have found that the test tones on MRL tapes are not necessarily intended to be the 'cleanest' available. They are for setting levels and checking frequency response. The frequency accuracy is not specified, but I wouldn't rely on 1kHz to be absolutely that frequency with atomic clock accuracy. If you buy a flutter test tape, you can be assured that the frequency is going to be spot on.

At any rate, that machine seems to need some calibration and/or repair. ;)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Geez, I guess I'm staying up too late, just like you, Amir (2nd? [well, 5th by now] post to this thread)?

Loved your look back at one of these gorgeous pro-quality tape decks. My Dad bought a nice (well, what I thought was nice at the time) reel-to-reel Sony consumer tape deck in my very young years and us kids had a great time with it (as usual, we all hated how our voices sounded). Then, one day in my late teens, he came home with a pro Ampex tape deck from work (don't know why they had it at his work - he was a Chemical Engineer) -- but I couldn't believe the transformation in sound. This was no audiophile trick to my ears; it was truly transformative in its clarity and accuracy compared to the crap (sorry) we got out of that Sony. I had my own budding turntable-based beginner "audiophile" rig in those days and I didn't think I could ever come close to what that Ampex source was giving me. Haven't really had much experience with tape decks since, but that Ampex made a lasting impression on me.

I don't know what it is, but there seems to be something "magical" about pro-quality tape decks and recordings. Thanks for this audio nostalgia. And, yes, certain people spend great gobs of money to get these today, and then have to shell out $500.00 per recording to hear music through them - amazing!
I seem to remember the surprise in the audio press when it was discovered that the Nixon White House recorder used for the infamous Watergate tapes was a lowly consumer Sony and not at least a Revox (or even better an Ampex, as that was an American brand).

Top Bottom