• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Explain to me what I'm hearing from 45W to 80W

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This conclusion is supported by the evidence. So long as neither amplifier exhibits an uneven frequency response, high noise floor, is malfunctioning or being driven to clipping, listeners will consistently fail to distinguish between them under controlled ABX conditions. I suggest that you have a look at the essential AES reading thread.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I am glad that this plae has ignore feature so I can avoid such posts.

escksu

Limited budget? At least for some people, probably even *most* people. But yeah, even with my budget, it's not something I would buy. But apparently some people do.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I am glad that this plae has ignore feature so I can avoid such posts.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think in most audio interfaces ADC and DAC can be configured (if it's not the default anyway) to use the same clock so its drift should not be an issue for null tests.

I have not see many commercial interfaces with wordclock inputs and built-in generators.
In the professional recording business yes.. wordclock inputs and wordclock generators are common and would allow for perfect nulling.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Reason why I splurged on a buckeye 502mp… let’s go 500W and see the difference shall we
There’s actually a decent chance that properly set up and level matched at reasonable volume, ( not beyond what both amps can do, of course) blind tested, iyou won’t tell it apart barometric the Cambridge. I think in a way that’s where we came in. If you listen at high volumes the story could be different

As for some of the recent comments about not comparing integrated with power amps, just more generalisation. You can get massive integrated amps and 10w tube power amps. It’s all about whether a system is properly matched and fit for purpose.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not see many commercial interfaces with wordclock inputs and built-in generators.
In the professional recording business yes.. wordclock inputs and wordclock generators are common and would allow for perfect nulling.
I thought that those interfaces without wordclock usually use one clock for ADC and DAC simultaneous.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I thought that those interfaces without wordclock usually use one clock for ADC and DAC simultaneous.

When you have an audio interface that can playback and record at the same time the same clock is used. That clock of course has drift (inaudible) and inconsequential. So when using the DAC and ADC to record a test signal/sweep its all synchronized.
The moment some delay (speaker-mic) or other device with a delay is inserted (that isn't digital with its own clock) then there only is a fixed time shift.

In the discussed case he wanted to average a few recordings/captures.
Or'' when one wants to null a DAC and uses a different ADC these clocks aren't synchronized and is an issue as both devices do not have clocks synchronized.
When using prof gear with master clock inputs connected to a word clock all ADC and DAC that are connected (which may be a few) all are synchronized to sample at the same time and reproduce at the same time.
clock drift (word clocks also drift) is not an issue as they are all synchronized.

For audio reproduction only this is not needed nor offers any benefits.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I am glad that this plae has ignore feature so I can avoid such posts.
There’s no need to be upset by this version. All it is trying to say is that if you exclude every reason why two amplifiers may be audibly different, then when ltested blind they should sound the same.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There’s no need to be upset by this version. All it is trying to say is that if you exclude every reason why two amplifiers may be [but should not be] audibly different, then when ltested blind they should sound the same.

Fixed that for ya.

Because:

exhibits an uneven frequency response -- who thinks an amp should do that?

high noise floor -- who thinks and amp should have that?

is malfunctioning -- who thinks that's how an amp should function?

or being driven to clipping -- who thinks that's how you should use an amp?

escape2

This guy has similar opinion on the 600ne as the OP, meaning lack of bass and too laid back. Starts at 8:00:

He also compares it to a couple of CA amps.

escksu

There’s no need to be upset by this version. All it is trying to say is that if you exclude every reason why two amplifiers may be audibly different, then when ltested blind they should sound the same.

I am not upset, i am more of amused.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Fixed that for ya.

Because:

exhibits an uneven frequency response -- who thinks an amp should do that?

high noise floor -- who thinks and amp should have that?

is malfunctioning -- who thinks that's how an amp should function?

or being driven to clipping -- who thinks that's how you should use an amp?
For amplifier, as it has been used in this thread, no - you haven’t fixed it and I suggest you read back to the statement I was describing.

if I owned one of the integrated amps listed here that have tone controls or equalisation and used those functions wouldn’t I be expecting an uneven frequency response as a result?

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Got a buckeye amps on the way, 500W. I'll let you know how it works. Already sold this amp for a profit

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

This guy has similar opinion on the 600ne as the OP, meaning lack of bass and too laid back. Starts at 8:00:

He also compares it to a couple of CA amps.

Ah ha, exactly, the lady has exactly my review as well - Denon is laid back, CA is pushed forward.

How can amps all sound the same if we come to the same conclusions? Something is grossly wrong here.

Top Bottom