• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Explain to me what I'm hearing from 45W to 80W

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
This has gone off point. I will bring the ruler for measuring..........

Galliardist

Major Contributor
What about @Floyd Toole's and @Sean Olive's research about preference for speakers with flat on axis and smooth off axis frequency response?
That only works if it can be extrapolated to the entire system. If people still prefer such speakers with audibly inaccurate amplification it doesn’t support my claim - I doubt the combination would have been tested by anyone.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Can't we just use 1 speaker, attach a bunch of amplifiers to it, and see if there's a difference?

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

I dunno, I plugged in my denon one last time, and yeah, anyone who says I'm the fool, I'm sorry. The effect is night and day.

Anyway, sold the denon, Buckeye 500w amp coming tomorrow. Lets see.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That only works if it can be extrapolated to the entire system.
That's the point of course. We can very safely assume that the amplification used for the preference test was neutral and had both flat FR and sufficiently low distortion. Hence it makes no sense to use amplifiers with other characteristics (exceptions are room EQ and tone controls to improve bad recordings).

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Just plugged in the buckeye - initial thoughts, not bad. Far stronger than CA or Denon. The speaker seems to be scared of the amp now, things really pop at you.

Will listen some more.

Immediately thing I noticed - dead air, and clean, the speakers disappears into the wall, with CA and Denon I could tell sound is coming from them but with buckeye, it's clean and transparent.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker seems to be scared of the amp now, things really pop at you.
Amazing what power @ (8Ω) 2x 350W (1x 1200W in BTL) can do for a pair of speakers. :D Be careful you don't mechanically damage the woofers.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Yeah I used to listen to -15db now I cannot go higher than -25db... the sound is intense, and now the speakers are now the weak link.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I used to listen to -15db now I cannot go higher than -25db... the sound is intense, and now the speakers are now the weak link.
Perhaps now is the time to get some EQ/PEQ working in your system?

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Perhaps now is the time to get some EQ/PEQ working in your system?

yeah, I think I’m done for now, I don’t see how much better the sound can get.

probably get some room treatment but honest it’s so powerful sounding, everything feels clear

blows away the denon and Cambridge audio

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah, I think I’m done for now, I don’t see how much better the sound can get.

probably get some room treatment but honest it’s so powerful sounding, everything feels clear

blows away the denon and Cambridge audio
Some EQ/PEQ will make for a veryyy big improvement. Major improvement.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using a PC as your source via USB to a Topping D90 and then balanced out to the NC502MP?

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Is the Apple TV hardware audio coming out of the HDMI? How are you getting the audio to the balanced in of the NC502MP amp?

AppleTV HDMI to TV, then optical to D90 then balanced to the amp. Am I losing signal here (doesn't seem like it)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also use an AppleTV as my primary video source, not sure about your specific TV but mine measurably reduces signal quality. It seems like some TVs have some rather poorly implemented resampling. I've had much better luck with a HDMI extractor. The post linked below has my measurements.

Michael

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AppleTV HDMI to TV, then optical to D90 then balanced to the amp. Am I losing signal here (doesn't seem like it)
There are two ways you can integrate PEQ into your system.

1) Use a PC, install REW and a PEQ software and then get a UMIK-1 (USB Microphone) for measuring the speakers and calibrating the PEQ to your speakers requirements for flat response.

2) Use a miniDSP as a PEQ inline between the DAC and the Amplifier. This will require using a single ended connection for connecting the DAC to the mini DSP and then also for connecting the miniDSP to the amplifier. Because you will be using your Apple TV in this configuration as the source the UMIK-1 will not be required unless there is something I don't know but I'm pretty sure it can't be used here.

For #2 alternatively you can use the mini DSP as the DAC and PEQ because it has that capability too.

Top Bottom