• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meizu Hifi USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

staticV3

Master Contributor
The auto impedance sensing feature it has? That's misleading to call it a low output voltage "issue." It's just a gain mode.
This impedance sensing with automatic gain adjustment has led to user Sharur having drastically less output power than what their MacBook is outputting whereas other dongles without impedance sensing would've resulted in a better user experience. In that way, this feature is indeed an issue.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This impedance sensing with automatic gain adjustment has led to user Sharur having drastically less output power than what their MacBook is outputting whereas other dongles without impedance sensing would've resulted in a better user experience. In that way, this feature is indeed an issue.

It's not a voltage issue. The device has plenty of power. It's a usability issue.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's not a voltage issue. The device has plenty of power. It's a usability issue.
Impedance sensing inside this product leads to artificial (read: not current-related) voltage limiting leads to a poor user experience.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impedance sensing inside this product leads to artificial (read: not current-related) voltage limiting leads to a poor user experience.

Right. I just said it's a usability issue. The voltage is there. But it creates usability issues as (1) people are unaware of what's happening because of poor documentation by the manufacturer and (2) it's inconvenient for the user to constantly use an adapter or extension cable to fool it into high gain mode every time the device is turned on, instead of being able to leave the headphones plugged in.

However, if you mischaracterize is a voltage issue, when it's the firmware causing it to function this way, that overly simplistic generalization could get repeated. These kinds of inaccuracies end up getting passed around the Internet and don't do anyone any favors.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Right. I just said it's a usability issue. The voltage is there. But it creates usability issues as (1) people are unaware of what's happening because of poor documentation by the manufacturer and (2) it's inconvenient for the user to constantly use an adapter or extension cable to fool it into high gain mode every time the device is turned on, instead of being able to leave the headphones plugged in.

However, if you mischaracterize is a voltage issue, when it's the firmware causing it to function this way, that overly simplistic generalization could get repeated. These kinds of inaccuracies end up getting passed around the Internet and don't do anyone any favors.
I still don't see your point tbh.
Even at 300Ω the Meizu Hifi will still limit voltage to 1.75Vrms.
Full 2Vrms are only accessible at >300Ω, so realistically, only when using an external Amp, which 98% of people buying this thing do not own.
I consider the adapter thing a hack not intended by the mfr.
For the vast majority of use cases (8-300Ω load), this product has, compared to some other dongles without automatic gain, a problem with outputting high enough voltage to meet most customer's expectations, which leads to user reports like Sharur's.
I don't understand why you're so upset with my calling this a voltage issue.
In fact, I find it more misleading to say that the Meizu Hifi doesn't have an issue with supplying enough voltage because "you can always use a specific adapter to trick and effectively disable a core function of the product to get full voltage (within current restraints) at any load".

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still don't see your point tbh.
Even at 300Ω the Meizu Hifi will still limit voltage to 1.75Vrms.
Full 2Vrms are only accessible at >300Ω, so realistically, only when using an external Amp, which 98% of people buying this thing do not own.
I consider the adapter thing a hack not intended by the mfr.
For the vast majority of use cases (8-300Ω load), this product has, compared to some other dongles without automatic gain, a problem with outputting high enough voltage to meet most customer's expectations, which leads to user reports like Sharur's.
I don't understand why you're so upset with my calling this a voltage issue.
In fact, I find it more misleading to say that the Meizu Hifi doesn't have an issue with supplying enough voltage because "you can always use a specific adapter to trick and effectively disable a core function of the product to get full voltage (within current restraints) at any load".

His headphones are the ER2SE. There is no voltage issue for powering those IEMs. 96db/1mw into 15 ohms. Try a headphone power calculator if you can't see it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
His headphones are the ER2SE. There is no voltage issue for powering those IEMs. 96db/1mw into 15 ohms. Try a headphone power calculator if you can't see it.
To be fair, if you don't trick it into higher voltage mode and run 4 or so dB of preamp on your eq, you will max the meizu out to get decent levels. I have

It's fine once tricked for my levels. It's not brilliantly documented and in an ideal world, a switch would be better.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, if you don't trick it into higher voltage mode and run 4 or so dB of preamp on your eq, you will max the meizu out to get decent levels. I have

It's fine once tricked for my levels. It's not brilliantly documented and in an ideal world, a switch would be better.

Right. That's why I said it's a usability problem.

But saying it's a low voltage issue implies it lacks the amplification.

It's too bad that they don't make an alternative firmware that bypasses that feature all together.

Theriverlethe

There is no way to manually switch UAC type, so I'm guessing it's locked to UAC2.

I thought certain CS chips had the ability to switch automatically, eg. for use with Playstation's OS where UAC2 is not supported. The latest Schiit Hel has this ability.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi,
Got the Meizu yesterday and I am very happy so far, great sound, no clicks and more than enough volume with K371 and HD600 from both computer and phone.
So happy I am that wanted to ask.... Will this work if I plug it to my raspberry pi zero (ideally with Moode)?
(and you might wonder, why don't you just try it? Well, I don't have any USB-C to micro USB adaptor and no reason to buy one if this doesn't work...)
Thanks!!

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi,
Got the Meizu yesterday and I am very happy so far, great sound, no clicks and more than enough volume with K371 and HD600 from both computer and phone.
So happy I am that wanted to ask.... Will this work if I plug it to my raspberry pi zero (ideally with Moode)?
(and you might wonder, why don't you just try it? Well, I don't have any USB-C to micro USB adaptor and no reason to buy one if this doesn't work...)
Thanks!!
will answer myself. yes it works but unfortunately the sound is crappy. dont know if due to the pi zero, the meizu, or to the long chain of adaptors i needed to use to connect usb-c to micro usb.
Now the question is if a pi-4 would work well. unfortunately the suppliers i know here in EU have it out of stock.... :-/

meowchin

It seems that there is a new version released under Meizu's subbrand, Mblu, based on the CX31993. Anybody knows anything about it?

Saidera

mblu whatever it is - doesn't deserve mention here. It doesn't do DSD, it's not CS43131 or anyth.

meowchin

Does the non-Pro Meizu Hifi have an ADC? I'm trying to get it to work with Dayton iMM-6 and Windows 10 isn't even detecting it as an ADC, only a DAC. Are there some requirements that need to be met in order to get the Meizu to detect a microphone?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does the non-Pro Meizu Hifi have an ADC?
Yes. ADC including phantom power voltage is identical between Pro and non Pro.

For the dongle to show up as a DAC+ADC, a TRRS plug has to be present. With a regular TRS stereo plug, the dongle will appear as just a DAC in Windows.
I recommend you buy a CTIA splitter like this one, plug it into the dongle and your mic into the mic jack of the splitter.
61OfZTeTuBS._SL1300_.jpg

Edit: I took a look at the iMM-6 and that one uses a TRRS plug already. Weird. Can you probe it with a multimeter to check where the two poles are on the plug? Also try plugging in an empty TRRS plug and check if the ADC pops up.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom