• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some of you guys are really like b... fanboys. Topping products are just products, you don't have connect them with your emotions, and advocate some company against your business. Consumer business is to get more at lower price.
While most of discussion here may look funny, but it just means that typical topping buyer never seen balanced connection in TRS, you wont get most of that questions on pro audio forum. Balanced TRS is just typical in pro market.
The question of whether it is possible to connect D10B via SE adapter is meaningful question.
Another thing is how "company" responds to this: "You can't do this. Do do this, no"
I thought this forum is somewhere between audiophile nonsense and electronic forum, we look at those measurements believe that are reliable and want know more about technicals.

For example for me D10B would be perfect device with digital volume control on front panel, that what Im looking for.
It is an meaningful question.
It gets a whole lot less meaningful though when people don't like the answer they get on that question and keep asking that same question over and over again like the answer will change if you ask it more than 30 times..

Atanasi

Forum Donor
It is an meaningful question.
It gets a whole lot less meaningful though when people don't like the answer they get on that question and keep asking that same question over and over again like the answer will change if you ask it more than 30 times..
It is understandable that a manufacturer or its representatives support only specific configurations. Many things are possible if the user is willing to mod but they cannot expect the manufactorer to endorse these configurations or offer warranty if something breaks.

Grooved

It is understandable that a manufacturer or its representatives support only specific configurations. Many things are possible if the user is willing to mod but they cannot expect the manufactorer to endorse these configurations or offer warranty if something breaks.
Not sure if I understood it right or I may have missed a comment : is it said to not use it for unbalanced use ?
If so, it's certainly for people who would want to plug a mono jack-RCA cable in the D10b, which would link the ground and cold, which they don't want you to do.

I was thinking about the Khadas Tone2 Pro, able to do both unbalanced and balanced, but they use a specific RCA with different ring sizes, so if you plug a RCA-RCA cable, only ground is on ground and hot is on hot, and cold have no contact.
You could do the same thing on this D10b by using a custom TRS jack-RCA cable with only groud to ground and RCA pin to TRS Hot (and leave the TRS cold unlinked).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Not sure if I understood it right or I may have missed a comment : is it said to not use it for unbalanced use ?
If so, it's certainly for people who would want to plug a mono jack-RCA cable in the D10b, which would link the ground and cold, which they don't want you to do.

I was thinking about the Khadas Tone2 Pro, able to do both unbalanced and balanced, but they use a specific RCA with different ring sizes, so if you plug a RCA-RCA cable, only ground is on ground and hot is on hot, and cold have no contact.
You could do the same thing on this D10b by using a custom TRS jack-RCA cable with only groud to ground and RCA pin to TRS Hot (and leave the TRS cold unlinked).
No. Balanced and balanced only. Not any cable or adapter to convert to single end.

Last edited:

archerious

Lupin

This setup would trigger my OCD 1001% o_O ;)
(do the little rubber feet in the back of the D10b actually rest on something in this setup..)

D10.jpg

paradox11

Hi, my speaker is dali zensor 5ax, if i buy d10 balanced model, can i connect it as balanced to the 3.5mm input on the back of the speaker?

Attachments

• zen5-ax-blk_s_3-large.jpg
    zen5-ax-blk_s_3-large.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 134

Grooved

Hi, my speaker is dali zensor 5ax, if i buy d10 balanced model, can i connect it as balanced to the 3.5mm input on the back of the speaker?

The 3.5 input is unbalanced, and the manufacturer and Topping says the D10b should be used ibn balanced setup only, so you should buy the D10s in this case (with a 2 RCA - 3.5mm mini-jack cable)
Or you can buy the D10b and connect it to your speakers via optical cable, which is simpler but you lost the benefit of the D10b conversion (DA conversion will be done by the speakers internal DAC)

Zek

Major Contributor
Or you can buy the D10b and connect it to your speakers via optical cable, which is simpler but you lost the benefit of the D10b conversion (DA conversion will be done by the speakers internal DAC)
If your PC have optical spdif out, you don't need any DAC.

Grooved

If your PC have optical spdif out, you don't need any DAC.
Right, but depends also on the OS if you want bit perfect as Windows 7 doesn't support 88.2 and 176.4 most of the time motherboard SPDIF outputs (which Windows 10 supports)
And he would be force to use the built-in DAC of his speakers

Last edited:

Svperstar

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Right, but depends also on the OS if you want bit perfect as Windows 7 doesn't support 88.2 and 176.4 most of the time motherboard SPDIF outputs (which Windows 10 supports)
Windows 7 i have and 88 is available on the internal spdif.
But the 44, 1 khz is the perfection as the Shannon theorem and Nyquist had demonstrated.

kchap

Forum Donor

Svperstar

It seems it does not have the data conductors, just power. From the amazon page:
  • PLEASE NOTE: This cable is ONLY for power supply(Not support IOS system), NOT for Data transfer.

Found a few others on Amazon that support data.

Grooved

..use Foobar with ASIO or Wasapi...;)
In case of using motherboard SPDIF ouput, you won't use ASIO. And for WASAPI with Foobar without resampling on a realtek ALC889 chip :
88.2 WASAPI Foobar on internal SPDIF without resampling.PNG

With Windows 10 on the same motherboard, 88.2 and 176.4 work.
I don't say you can't play it on Windows 7, just that with a lot of Windows 7 motherboard audio drivers, your SPDIF ouput won't play it bit perfect, so you will need to do additional settings in your player.
Windows 7 i have and 88 is available on the internal spdif.
But the 44, 1 khz is the perfection as the Shannon theorem and Nyquist had demonstrated.

But your case can't be generalized ;)
The second part of your comment is right, but it's not the point here, I was only referring the a ease of use (playing without any need to change a lot of things, some people want it :))

Frgirard

Major Contributor
In case of using motherboard SPDIF ouput, you won't use ASIO. And for WASAPI with Foobar without resampling on a realtek ALC889 chip :
View attachment 145767

With Windows 10 on the same motherboard, 88.2 and 176.4 work.
I don't say you can't play it on Windows 7, just that with a lot of Windows 7 motherboard audio drivers, your SPDIF ouput won't play it bit perfect, so you will need to do additional settings in your player.

But your case can't be generalized ;)
The second part of your comment is right, but it's not the point here, I was only referring the a ease of use (playing without any need to change a lot of things, some people want it :))
Asio is your friend

Top Bottom