• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Ether CX Review (Closed Planar Headphone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent! Confirms what you, I and other owners suspected. Clean and pretty smooth FR.

A great headphone. Would you rank above the Aeon RT?

Thanks for the effort.

EDIT- and for anyone of the larger eared persuasion- these with Brainwavs XL leather pads are about as comfy as I have ever used (the rectangle cutout in the stock still squishes my lugs) but i cant comment on what they do to the response. Similarly, for those thinking of these over any of the Aeon models that have larger ears- get these with the aforementioned pads- the odd cup shape of the Aeon make pad swaps for more room impossible.

EDIT 2 - for @amirm I see on the sensitivity chart this measure but also one for the "Ether CX closed (no mention of Drop)" which I am guessing is from your first initial run with that more expensive rig you trialled a while ago? Both are measures of your Ether CX arent they? Same headphone but different rig or methodology?

Last edited:

jannek

Maybe it would make sense to use another headphone for testing headphone amplifiers. With some not-too-exotic headphones having 7.5 times less sensivity the Ether CX seems a not too high hurdle for amplifiers.
For example:
SMSL SH-9 Headphone Listening Test
I tested the SH-9 with my killer load: the Ether CX with its 25 ohm impedance and low efficiency. The SH-9 had no trouble whatsoever driving it with authority with no sign of distortion to any loudness level you wanted.

Relying on the "killer load" and "low efficiency" I bought it and had to find that driving my DCA Aeon Noire at high volume AND some headroom left is only possible when feeding a balanced signal.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
as far as loads go... the DCA Aeon Noire with even half the impedance and lower efficiency that's about as difficult as it gets.
On the other side of the spectrum (low efficiency, high imp.) it is the DT880-600 when talking about 'common' headphones.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very interesting! Might consider these for a future purchase.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I didn't open one of these a time ago because I couldn't decide if I could keep them. I clearly fucked up and should have taken the hit.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent, I really want to be able to buy the AEON RT but it's way too expensive by the time I get it imported into the UK :rolleyes:

I did that a few months ago- the exchange rate is slightly in our favour at the minute but shipping, import VAT and fees are a killer. IMO worth it but YMMV- the RT is killer value.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately sometimes there is a relation between price and quality.
If it weren't for Drop some would be even more expensive.

Yes- its too easy to conflate "price isnt a guarantee of quality" (which is true, especially in audio and proven time and again on here) with "price and quality never relate". Does anyone NEED to spend $500 or more on a pair of headphones? No. Can a (good) $500+ pair of headphones outshine a (good) $200 headphone- hell yes.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it would make sense to use another headphone for testing headphone amplifiers. With some not-too-exotic headphones having 7.5 times less sensivity the Ether CX seems a not too high hurdle for amplifiers.
For example:
SMSL SH-9 Headphone Listening Test
I tested the SH-9 with my killer load: the Ether CX with its 25 ohm impedance and low efficiency. The SH-9 had no trouble whatsoever driving it with authority with no sign of distortion to any loudness level you wanted.

Relying on the "killer load" and "low efficiency" I bought it and had to find that driving my DCA Aeon Noire at high volume AND some headroom left is only possible when feeding a balanced signal.

He always used to listen with both with his Sennheiser 600/656/6XX as well- so at both ends of the spectrum. Not sure if he still does.

jannek

That's what I meant - the Ether CX is right in the middle of the spectrum sensitivity-wise. There is no test with a really hard to drive headphone which I assumed the Ether to be until now.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The non-Drop version (ETHER C Flow) is 2x the price at $1800; would love to know the difference (even if it’s just the company stating such).

EDIT: From the company:
https://drop.com/buy/drop-mrspeakers-ether-cx-closed-headphones/talk/2210198
The original ETHER C had a tip toward the higher frequencies and also had some pad bounce that made bass a little unpredictable. With ETHER CX we have a new pad that reduces pad bounce for smoother and more impactful bass. By bringing the highs better into balance the whole headphone has warmer tone, without lacking air or shimmer, and the bass really pops on good source material.
yFC43y2fSKCKJwPd881J_ECXvsEC1.jpg

EC = Black
ETHER CX = Orange

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I meant - the Ether CX is right in the middle of the spectrum sensitivity-wise. There is no test with a really hard to drive headphone which I assumed the Ether to be until now.

Its very current hungry so some amps might max out due to that

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The non-Drop version (ETHER C Flow) is 2x the price at $1800; would love to know the difference (even if it’s just the company stating such).

EDIT: From the company:
https://drop.com/buy/drop-mrspeakers-ether-cx-closed-headphones/talk/2210198
The original ETHER C had a tip toward the higher frequencies and also had some pad bounce that made bass a little unpredictable. With ETHER CX we have a new pad that reduces pad bounce for smoother and more impactful bass. By bringing the highs better into balance the whole headphone has warmer tone, without lacking air or shimmer, and the bass really pops on good source material.
yFC43y2fSKCKJwPd881J_ECXvsEC1.jpg

EC = Black
ETHER CX = Orange

If it is just pad and cosmetic differences, im not sure why anyone would buy the non-Drop version its such a steal. If its more fundamental differences, different story (but I still think you'd be mad to get to non Drop)

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without EQ, it lacks excitement for me to use it but you may be different.

Does that mean that the bass region of the Harman target is a matter of taste more than a fidelity issue? I always find the bass to be too much with instrumental music and I always wonder if my taste is wrong regarding fidelity or if there is really a legitimate objection to this. That whole issue of the Harman curve it's a bit confusing to me. Why not just flat? It's just for selling more headphones to people that doesn't EQ (Like myself in my previous life) because statistics has found that this is the average preferred curve? There are a lot of headphones tested here with a lack of bass with respect to the Harman curve, whether flat or a bit decaying. Is this done on purpose, meaning that this is their target response, or it's due to engineering issues? If its the former, why they target this curve? There is an objective reasoning in terms of fidelity? Or it is again a matter of taste?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does that mean that the bass region of the Harman target is a matter of taste more than a fidelity issue? I always find the bass to be too much with instrumental music and I always wonder if my taste is wrong regarding fidelity or if there is really a legitimate objection to this. That whole issue of the Harman curve it's a bit confusing to me. Why not just flat? It's just for selling more headphones to people that doesn't EQ (Like myself in my previous life) because statistics has found that this is the average preferred curve? There are a lot of headphones tested here with a lack of bass with respect to the Harman curve, whether flat or a bit decaying. Is this done on purpose, meaning that this is their target response, or it's due to engineering issues? If its the former, why they target this curve? There is an objective reasoning in terms of fidelity? Or it is again a matter of taste?

Discussed many times https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-only-one-that-doesnt-like-this-curve.19668/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...headphones-and-the-harman-target-curve.17914/

And try @Ilkless informative article https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/04/harman-target-curves-part-1/

What I would do, if I were you is EQ whatever headphones you do have to the Harman target- use either Oratory1990 EQ profiles on Reddit or on Auto EQ . If you like/ dont like doesnt really matter- just get used to the sound. Especially the bass level. Then you can judge roughly what any HP reviewed here might sound like out of the box compared to that target curve.

The important part for most readers here is how well a HP can take EQ and how much EQ would be needed in key areas of the FR. If a HP has significantly less bass than you like AND high distortion in that area at higher levels, then its probably not for you. I think distortion plus overall smoothness of the FR are far more important than how it compares to Harman without EQ. Amir's EQ suggestions help in that regard.

Last edited:

tential

Bass is the only thing I usually change and I believe it's the MOST subjective part of the curve to play with for personal preference. So I turn that sucker up a bit or down depending on my music and how much hate I want from my neighbors. My sub is just too monstrous for an apartment and it's only a 15" ultimax. My end game plan though are 21s. Or just as many subs as possible. (see bassthathz from avs forum).

I believe amir likes his bass too and turns it up to a degree?

Harman curve is a preference curve. Taken from one website "The Harman target curve is a rough approximation of what is acceptable in tonality to disregard individualization for precise tonality and spatial audio."

tential

If it is just pad and cosmetic differences, im not sure why anyone would buy the non-Drop version its such a steal. If its more fundamental differences, different story (but I still think you'd be mad to get to non Drop)
You then have to deal with drop which some people don't like. Yes, drop versions usually are cheaper though, which was the whole point of the site, to bulk buy things/custom to get them to the price point and maybe tweak a few things for the enthusiasts who are on there.

Ira not all perfect with drop, things go out of stock, randomly discontinued, sometimes you need to order with a group and wait for it to have enough sales before it then ships in 2 weeks to months later. Lots of things about drop when ordering. You can wait quite awhile after ordering a drop.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You then have to deal with drop which some people don't like. Yes, drop versions usually are cheaper though, which was the whole point of the site, to bulk buy things/custom to get them to the price point and maybe tweak a few things for the enthusiasts who are on there.

Ira not all perfect with drop, things go out of stock, randomly discontinued, sometimes you need to order with a group and wait for it to have enough sales before it then ships in 2 weeks to months later. Lots of things about drop when ordering. You can wait quite awhile after ordering a drop.

Dont disagree but I have never actually had a bad Drop experience. If it was only saving $100 or so I wouldnt even think it was worth it for reasons you mentioned, but I got these on offer for $750. A no brainer.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. Great to see these. They are especially important because they are the reference headphone for drawing lots of current with flat low impedance.

I will second comments that I wonder how these compare to Aeons, and that I am looking forward to Noire.

As for bass preference, it is the one part of preference that tends to vary among people with normal hearing according to Harman research, though a good majority of people prefer something like the Harman curve. Dan Clark has said he prefers something like this, listens to a lot of live acoustic music, and finds this type of curve to be more realistic. I personally have a very slight preference for Harman-type bass response, but am also usually happy with something like this. for me, It makes a big difference with bass heavy music, and less with the sorts of music Dan Clark described himself listening to live.

Last edited:
Top Bottom