• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR8015 Review (Home Theater AVR)

StuartC

Forum Donor
What has been the single worst thing that has happened to good quality audio reproduction in the home? Home theatre. A lot of people have spent a lot of money on HT gear and where has it got them? A lot of money spent, a lot of clutter and poor sound quality.
That's a fairly bold sweeping statement, and utterly wrong to assume applies to everyone. My 5.1.4 HT setup certainly hasn't cost tens of thousands, and is built around monitor audio speakers and a Denon X6300h with parasound A21 feeding ATC FL & FR . It works very well indeed thank you, maybe not as well as some of the demonstration systems I've heard, but good enough for my living room which is governed by WAF. And that's both 2ch listening and HT reproduction.

Would I like more speakers? Yes. Would I like separate amps for all those speakers? Yes. Am I going to be allowed to do it? Not in this house. Will it affect my enjoyment of films and live sport? No. Do I feel hard done by for what I've spent? Not at all.

Peternz

I would go further and say that in a simple level matched, direct mode, using analog inputs single blind test in 2 channel stereo mode, he would not be able to tell it apart from whatever two channel rig he may opt to use as long as his gear has bench test results to show it is design for accuracy/transparency. And I would bet 3:1. Obviously it's easy for me to say, as it will never happen.

Yea right... :)

Peternz

I am not sure why you are proud that you do not like multi channel movie sound. I mean There are lots of things I simply do not care about, but I realize MOST people do.
To me it sounds like you have not experience a good theatre, or multi channel sound system.

I have, at a high quality movie theatre. The systems they have make the stuff people have in their homes look pathetic. I know exactly what these systems can do and I also know that I don't have the time, space or money to have something like that that I would be satisfied with in my home. I can on the other hand have a 2 channel system that I am more than satisfied with and any funds I have for audio are allocated to that.

The sad fact is that HT is a salesman's wet dream. "Look at this system, sir, 5 speakers and a subwoofer. It is ok, but I recommend more channels. If sir wants better sound he can opt for the 11 channel intergalctic hero amp and all the speakers and cables that go with it. Sir can then go and tell his neighbors all about it... It is never going to sound as good as 2 speakers and a 2 channel amp for the same money but does sir really care about that? 11 channels, count em!"

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have, at a high quality movie theatre. The systems they have make the stuff people have in their homes look pathetic. I know exactly what these systems can do and I also know that I don't have the time, space or money to have something like that that I would be satisfied with in my home. I can on the other hand have a 2 channel system that I am more than satisfied with and any funds I have for audio are allocated to that.

The sad fact is that HT is a salesman's wet dream. "Look at this system, sir, 5 speakers and a subwoofer. It is ok, but I recommend more channels. If sir wants better sound he can opt for the 11 channel intergalctic hero amp and all the speakers and cables that go with it. Sir can then go and tell his neighbors all about it... It is never going to sound as good as 2 speakers and a 2 channel amp for the same money but does sir really care about that? 11 channels, count em!"

Don't know about where you live, but many of the theaters here no longer offer such a high level of sound quality as one can do in the comfort of one's home (let alone the convenience). I prefer having multich audio capabilities to mere 2ch as well. If all you can afford is 2ch, well, I guess that's a consideration :) My old 2ch separates don't get used much. It's not a matter of sound quality, I get excellent sound quality in my multich systems....as with 2ch it's mostly about the speakers and setup anyways; 2ch amp, multich amp no significant differences there except perhaps limitations such as an avr might have, but that's why they have pre-outs :)

martin900

As is common with Denon and Marantz products, the SR8015 runs hot, really hot.

Thank you planned obsolence, 5 years at best and it's a doorstop. As usual - no service manual, proprietary chips, custom software and near impossible to repar tiny SMD parts.
It's truly infuriating, I have seen so many broken down AVR and other audio gear that I simply don't dare to buy anything anymore.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but the so called high end two channel systems would then be the salesperson's XXX (the high end version of wet )dream I would think, haha..;)
But wait, high end retail stores have closed by the dozens all over the U.S.A. - are we talking about YouTube salesmen?

StuartC

Forum Donor

Thank you planned obsolence, 5 years at best and it's a doorstop. As usual - no service manual, proprietary chips, custom software and near impossible to repar tiny SMD parts.
It's truly infuriating, I have seen so many broken down AVR and other audio gear that I simply don't dare to buy anything anymore.
With the new models having preamp mode I wonder how they plan to achieve this?...

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor

Your movie experience is rare. Most movie theater sound systems suck.

Peternz

Well, look on the bright side. At least they have kept things simple:
1623188411360.png

index.php

Last edited:

Archaea

Like I have always thought and said. Home theatre is garbage and if you want good sound from music or movies stick to 2 channels. Yes, for movies two. This philosophy has served me well over the years.
This bolded part of your post is garbage. What's the point of coming into a home theater review of a multichannel AVR to tell everyone you prefer two channel?

I'd put most any properly done (or my own 13 channel system ) up against your or any strict two channel system for enjoyment in modern movies/cinema any day of the week and twice on Sunday and bet a month's pay 10 out of 10 neutral auditioners would prefer the Dolby Atmos experience over a two channel experience for a modern movie title. Specifically, movies like Gravity, SpiderMan - Into the Spiderverse, Mad Maxx Fury Road, The Greatest Showman, etc -- movies which make fantastic use of Dolby Atmos. If you want to say you prefer just a pair of speakers for music, I wouldn't even touch that argument -- and that preference is perfectly fine! But when you specifically address cinema experience and say two channel is best? Get out of here.
Dolby Atmos, done correctly, is jaw droppingly good. This receiver caters to that market. I wouldn't go into a two channel thread and proclaim two channel is dead and you should only buy a 11 channel processor. Makes no sense, unless you wanted some conflict/challenge, and now unfortunately, we both then have detracted from the value of this thread.

On topic. I'm glad to see the Marantz fares well. And it is very interesting to see that the distortion measurements are now in line with the current generation Denon's, and that the suspected? HDAM distortion measured on previous Marantz has been eliminated. I wish we could uncover more on that. I've been window shopping for a new processor to replace my x6700h, looking at JBL SDP-55, Monoprice HTP-1, Anthem, Arcam, etc -- but really D&M have arguably the best value going right now in the processor arena. Very high value and performance in their respective market segments. I keep reading subjectively how the boutique brands have better sound quality, but Amirm has proven that's not true. I read over and over everywhere that the boutique brands have more bugs and user interface hiccups, and that's another place that D&M is very polished. Mobile phone interface through D&M HEOS is pretty much excellent. Cheaper, less bugs, stronger bench tests than much of their boutique competition.......Really the biggest advantage for boutique is a few extra channels. D&M, are difficult to knock.

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor

I have been to some of the best theatres around, they can sound great in some ways for sure, but we are talking a large room with very high sound levels.
At home I have heard sound just as good, albeit in a much smaller space, but also with the same clarity, but less volume by choice.

Newman

Major Contributor
It is never going to sound as good as 2 speakers and a 2 channel amp for the same money

Oh look, we have an anti-HT troll in our midst.

And one whose every second utterance is over-opinionated myth-making of the first order.

Popcorn out. :cool:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Oh look, we have an anti-HT troll in our midst.

And one whose every second utterance is over-opinionated myth-making of the first order.

Popcorn out. :cool:
Try Jolly Time Healthy Pop. I don't buy for health. I add real butter instead of fake crap. Rural King sells.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wouldn't go into a two channel thread and proclaim two channel is dead and you should only buy a 11 channel processor.
I would :)

Whoareyou

Forum Donor

I agree. I have a closet full of receivers with various problems. These things are just not built to last, and combined with the ever changing HDMI specs and audio formats, these things are a difficult purchase for me. Planned obsolescence is definitely part of the equation.
Yet consumers keep buying (of which I am guilty - although trying to resist).

My newest (already obsolete and broken), is a Marantz SR7010 and the amplifier section on that has partially failed. Oldest is a Denon 3805, which still works perfectly, but is obsolete because of changing standards.

I think these receivers are a good idea, and some people have no other options, but their short life spans are not for me any longer.

I still use the 7010 with separate amplification and multichannel bypass (music and movies), but because of the obsolescence and growing reluctance to fill my closet (or landfills) with additional unrepairable receivers, I will hold on to this 7010 until it catches on fire.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

WAIT maybe this is the argument to pay up for Trinnov and StormAudio products? Because both of these companies sell pre/pro designed to to last beyond 5 years but of course, you're paying $18,000 up front for the Trinnov Alt16 but it I think the customer service and trouble free performance makes up the difference over the 10 years of ownership that many are enjoying.

JonfromCB

I agree. I have a closet full of receivers with various problems. These things are just not built to last, and combined with the ever changing HDMI specs and audio formats, these things are a difficult purchase for me. Planned obsolescence is definitely part of the equation.
Yet consumers keep buying (of which I am guilty - although trying to resist).

My newest (already obsolete and broken), is a Marantz SR7010 and the amplifier section on that has partially failed. Oldest is a Denon 3805, which still works perfectly, but is obsolete because of changing standards.

I think these receivers are a good idea, and some people have no other options, but their short life spans are not for me any longer.

I still use the 7010 with separate amplification and multichannel bypass (music and movies), but because of the obsolescence and growing reluctance to fill my closet (or landfills) with additional unrepairable receivers, I will hold on to this 7010 until it catches on fire.

Can relate and totally agree with the planned obsolescence. Even with open rack and fans I had three cooked HDMI/videoI boards on two different late model Denon AVRs, all under the 4 year service point with no replacement boards available from Denon. This HT addicted sucker ran out and bought a third one.....insanity defined.

I can't believe no one has addressed Amir's after test post that the unit locked up after the stress test....lol I can't decide if it's funny or sad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom