• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is ICONOCLAST cable a "better" cable?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Blue Jeans Cable is NOT expensive.
Podcast is to long to expect many people to look at it (I didn't).
Not exactly cheap either nor realistically priced. Example 10 foot RCA to RCA in stock config cost's 61.25$ to brake it down if he used more premium enlisted RCA jacks 4.5$ a peace its down to 43.25$ for cable and work.
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/indexmob.htm
That's pretty much a basic cable as it can be and type whit which people usually step onto ground loop. It's not a snake oil as everything is specified correctly but it's still heavily overpriced.
Advice is buy cables from normal brands based on specifications. Don't tie your self to specific brand, buy what ever is easy available to you based on specification and price.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You can buy a pair of his BAV interconnects for $160.00, is that too much?
But I am interested in speaker wire. This looks like the cheapest option, am I missing something?
$1415 for the entry level wire; OFC is a bit over $1900. Strikes me as pricey.

iconoclast.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even he says most people can't hear the difference from his Iconoclast cable.
That old chestnut.
I bet it works a treat on the golden ears who think people who can't hear the difference between cables either have poorer hearing or a less resolving system than themselves.
There is literally no mechanism by which a cable with good connectors and adequate values of L,C and R can have an influence on audio frequencies.
NONE

Never give a sucker an even break WC Fields.

Blue Jeans: straightforward and inexpensive; good value products
Belden: straightforward and great quality; great value products
Iconoclast: (see my quote above)
If you want someone to terminate the cable for you --> Blue Jeans
If you plan on terminating the cable --> Belden/Canare

I have long runs in my home theater with speakers dipping down into 2ohm, decided to go with 4 conductor 12AWG Belden for effective 9AWG as the best Blue Jeans has 10AWG and Canare 11AWG (4S11).

OP
Cuniberti

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
That old chestnut.
I bet it works a treat on the golden ears who think people who can't hear the difference between cables either have poorer hearing or a less resolving system than themselves.
There is literally no mechanism by which a cable with good connectors and adequate values of L,C and R can have an influence on audio frequencies.
NONE

Never give a sucker an even break WC Fields.
Phase and timing?

OP
Cuniberti

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
If you want someone to terminate the cable for you --> Blue Jeans
If you plan on terminating the cable --> Belden/Canare

I have long runs in my home theater with speakers dipping down into 2ohm, decided to go with 4 conductor 12AWG Belden for effective 9AWG as the best Blue Jeans has 10AWG and Canare 11AWG (4S11).
He argues that timing and phase was addressed in his Iconoclast cable vs the Belden offerings, thoughts?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roger Russell writes that he used Cardas cable in his very expensive IDS speakers not because they made any difference, but because he didn't want to have to keep explaining to his target market why it didn't make any difference when they were religiously predisposed to believe that it did, especially since the marginal cost of the Cardas wire wasn't high enough to make the juice worth the squeeze.

He also talks about Gordon Gow and his speaker-wire comparison device, and how McIntosh eventually gave that up, too, and started referring customer to their dealers for cables.

But if the people believe they can hear the differences, they will. And that's the objective. It's their money.

Rick "happy with 12-gauge zip cord, per Revel's recommendation" Denney

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
He argues that timing and phase was addressed in his Iconoclast cable vs the Belden offerings, thoughts?

Does he have timing and phase measurements that show the difference?

(No, I will not watch a 74min video to find the answer)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The interview is more of a promotion for Blue Jeans Cable that is not expensive. That is why I posted it. Even he says most people can't hear the difference from his Iconoclast cable.

most people can't Nobody can hear the difference from his Iconoclast cable.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
most people can't Nobody can hear the difference from his Iconoclast cable.
To make something perfectly clear, people do hear a difference. But this is not because it actually sounds different, but because their brains are fooling them.

OP
Cuniberti

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
Roger Russell writes that he used Cardas cable in his very expensive IDS speakers not because they made any difference, but because he didn't want to have to keep explaining to his target market why it didn't make any difference when they were religiously predisposed to believe that it did, especially since the marginal cost of the Cardas wire wasn't high enough to make the juice worth the squeeze.

He also talks about Gordon Gow and his speaker-wire comparison device, and how McIntosh eventually gave that up, too, and started referring customer to their dealers for cables.

But if the people believe they can hear the differences, they will. And that's the objective. It's their money.

Rick "happy with 12-gauge zip cord, per Revel's recommendation" Denney
For the record I use Mogima 12 AWG Quad

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom