• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Focaliz3d

Hello,

I have created an account just to thank you very much and to express you all my gratitud for this review because I juste received my unit and I'm astonished. This little piece of hardware is totally amazing. It drives perfectly all my headphones from the Meze 99 to my HD800s, passing by my TH900, my PS1000, all the Beyer Dynamic including the T1 1st generation. To be clear, I have owned many rigs and this is probably one of the best I have ever heard. Fed by Roon + Tidal, I'm just not believing what I'm hearing. It slaps so many DAC 10x more expensive ! And the headphones output is really really good, at least I'm really happy with it, especially with my HD800s on the 4.4 output that sounds now natural and silky... I was almost to sell it so much I didn't like it. I dunno how to explain it but the sounds is detailed and warm at the same time. So clean ! It will definitely replace my 50 kg stack of Audio-GD... It is anihilated.

Really guys, thank you so much for your work and recommendations, you have made my day !
Cheers from France

Veri

Master Contributor
It will definitely replace my 50 kg stack of Audio-GD... It is anihilated.

Really guys, thank you so much for your work and recommendations, you have made my day !
Cheers from France
Haha :D:D
good gear prevails!

Focaliz3d

The work you are doing here is amazing. I read you from a long time ago but as i'm not an english native speaker I never participated. But this time I couldn't avoid because this 100% thanks to your advices that I have bought this jewel !

263A9CDB-4396-41F9-B59B-B0B5811C47D5.jpeg

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I have created an account just to thank you very much and to express you all my gratitud for this review because I juste received my unit and I'm astonished.
Cheers from France

Well now that you got here, just stay around.
Welcome,
ou
bienvenu ;)

farmouss

Hello,

I have created an account just to thank you very much and to express you all my gratitud for this review because I juste received my unit and I'm astonished. This little piece of hardware is totally amazing. It drives perfectly all my headphones from the Meze 99 to my HD800s, passing by my TH900, my PS1000, all the Beyer Dynamic including the T1 1st generation. To be clear, I have owned many rigs and this is probably one of the best I have ever heard. Fed by Roon + Tidal, I'm just not believing what I'm hearing. It slaps so many DAC 10x more expensive ! And the headphones output is really really good, at least I'm really happy with it, especially with my HD800s on the 4.4 output that sounds now natural and silky... I was almost to sell it so much I didn't like it. I dunno how to explain it but the sounds is detailed and warm at the same time. So clean ! It will definitely replace my 50 kg stack of Audio-GD... It is anihilated.

Cheers from France

Hey you know what, I think I'm gonna do the same : Thank you @amirm for what you do, I'm just about to buy the DX7 Pro on your recommendation (just haven't made my full decision yet) but this unit is pretty amazing and I wouldn't have found it without Amir and this forum

@Focaliz3d where did you buy it and at what price? I'm in France too and I'm looking for a good price, no 30 days shipping nor customs if possible ;)

cheers

Focaliz3d

Hey, I bought it through a famous online shop around Bordeaux (dunno if I have right to say the name here). I have paid 599€ + shipping for day+1 (ordered last thursday evening, received on Saturday morning via TNT).
They still have it in stock. Honestly don't hesitate, I'm listening to it since this morning and I still don't believe it, I will never manage to go to sleep :D
When I read here (and I have all reasons to trust in what I read) that the Topping stack DAC + AMP can be better than this little guy, I'm really wondering how it can be ;)

Fun fact is that I have owned an HD800 (the first one) few years ago and it has been driven by a poor great Matrix amp. I found it decent, lovable even, and I have sold sacrified it to buy my top notch *censured* Audio-GD stack. Last week I have ordered an HD800s by nostalgia and I have been really disapointed by the result. Long story short : It wasn't listenable and it was ready to go back to the shop after one day... God, fortunately I got the Topping before, because it works extremely well ! Like the first one did even if it was lacking a litlle bit of power.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophonics is mentioned often here and they are also represented by a member here, don't worry.

Focaliz3d

Ok :) so yes I bought it there and I have been as usual very satisfied by the service. I try to buy from their as much as possible globally speaking.

guys, I have a noob question, I have seen in the measurements the filters figures but I’m not able to understand them... is there somewhere any explanation for the dummies about how to interpret them ?

and for the update, I plugged my Meze99 on the little guy... I love the result... Maybe even more than the HD800s. Not the same transparency indeed but full of life and funny. I dunno if I will keep the Senn or not... I would need more resolving headphones to complete the Meze (for classical and Jazz mainly) but I have no clue about what could be more opened without sacrificing the punch and the « physical » feeling of the music. Any idea to go with the Dx7 Pro, being a bit more airy but with good dynamic ? My small dt880 isn’t bad at all in this aim but 600 ohms edition so... should i just buy it on 250 ohms ? It is a bit harsh on the top though. I was also thinking about hifiman with the sundara. I dunno hifiman at all...

Last edited:

aarrel

Does anyone know whether or not there's an audible difference between the SE and balanced output? Just ordered the DX7 Pro, going to hook it up to my HD650 headphones.

Focaliz3d

I’m soon coming back home and I will try to answer you as much acurately as possible :)

Focaliz3d

So, if you allow me to do, I will try to answer you point by point in a total subjective way though.;)

1. is there an audible difference between the Topping and the Dragonfly Red ?
Long story short : Yes. But it depends upon which headphones we are using. With the HD800s, this is night and day, not that the Dragonfly sounds bad, it doesn't to my ears, I like it well. But the Topping plays in another league. Basically it brings life to everything and provide you Music where the Dragonfly ensure you to have a decent/good sound. I will talk more about the HD800s later on because there's a lot to say. When you take for example the Meze99 Classic, the difference is less vivid. Don't get me wrong, the Topping does marvels, but the Dragonfly is pretty OK as well. Easy to drive headphones though except maybe the low register that needs to be tamed and this is where the Topping is clearly better. I would say that for me, the DAC part of the Topping is truly incredible while the amp part is very good. So if you are using clear and detailed headphones (what the Meze99 isn't), you can appreciate more the obvious difference. Could I live with a Dragonfly only ? No. Will I keep it and keep on using it ? For sure, it makes a good couple with my iPhone to listen on the go.

2. Do you miss the MQA-functionality or does the DX7 Pro totally outperform it ?
I will be clear : I totally don't care about the MQA format. I'm using Qobuz and Tidal and I'm fine with both of them. I have never had a Waow effect with the MQA format in any way compared to a classical Hi rez flac file. Telling this, I'm using Roon player that manages pretty well MQA files even if the dac doesn't, so probably it counts. But really I would not choose a DAC for its MQA compatibility.

3. do you think the Sennheiser HD650 headphones would be a good pairing ?
Joker ! Strangely enough, the HD650 is the only Sennheiser from the HD6xx line that I have never owned. I have a HD600 though and it works very well with the Topping. My leitmotif would be to say that the Topping reveal the best of all headphones that I have tried with it, and I didn't sleep last night because of that. :facepalm:

4. How would you describe the sound ?
ALIVE. I can't say better and this is extremely difficult to describe especially in English as it isn't my first language. To try to give you some insights though, what has impressed me from the first minute is how much "natural" it sounds. Natural doesn't mean a lot, I know. Let's say that so far for me, all the DAC I have owned have always been "digital" sounding, except maybe the TotalDAC but it had so much distortion, on the other hand, than I sold it without any regrets six months later. The Topping makes me forget that's I'm listening to a file. It provides music. Really, it can look like odd to say such, but I can't say it better. The sound is rich, full, detailed and accurate but never never never chemical or "digital". At least with the headphones I have tried so far.

5. Has the listening experience been enjoyable overall ?
Man, this little guy is a game changer for me, from A to Z. I told above that I have bought again a brand new HD800s because I had a good memory of the 800 and I have been extremely disappointed with my Audio-GD rig (Master 7 + Master 9). I was to send it back and then I found the review about the Topping, I ordered and received. Well, those are just different headphones. I have had a doubt this morning but it was linked to the symmetrical output that, in my opinion, works less nicely than the 6.5 one with the 800s. I have switched since, and I can tell you that I will never let my 800s go even if I must now eat pasta during few months to finance it :facepalm: It is a lot of superlatives I know, and I'm not used to that, but really, it is such a slap compared to all that I have experienced so far that I'm a little bit extatic, I'm sorry for that. A sure thing is that this is a no-brainer piece of hardware. I was tired of managing the interlinks all the time, to improve this or that continuously, I just wanted to listen to my music. There are probably better beasts on the market but this one is a kind of "install it and forget it" stuff. Really, the HD800s is metamorphosed, and this is probably the best sound I have ever had, even if I compare for example with a Stax rig based on a SR009 that I have owned for years.

So, Yes, it is HIGHLY Enjoyable :D:cool:

Hope this helps ;)

Last edited:

farmouss

So, if you allow me to do, I will try to answer you point by point in a total subjectiv way though;)

Long story short : Yes. But it depends upon which headphones we are using. Witht the HD800s, this is night and day, not that the Dragonfly sounds bad, it doesnt to my ears, I like it well. But the Topping plays in another league. Basically it brings life to everything and provide you Music where the Dragonfly ensure you to have a decent/good sound. I will talk more about the HD800s later on because there's a lot to say. When you take for example the Meze99 Classic, the difference is less vivid. Don't get me wrong, the Topping does marvels, but the Dragonfly is pretty ok as well. Easy to drive heaphones though except maybe the low register that needs to be tamed and this is where the Topping is clearly better. I would say that for me, the DAC part of the Topping is trully incredible while the amp part is very good. So if you are using clear and detailed headphones (what the Meze99 isn't), you can appreciate more the obvious difference. Could I live with a Dragonfly only ? No. Will I keep it and keep on using it ? For sure, it makes a good couple with my iPhone to listen on the go.

2. Do you miss the MQA-functionality or does the DX7 Pro totally outperform it ?
I will be clear : I totally don't care about the MQA format. I'm using Qobuz and Tidal and I'm fine with both of them. I have never had a Waow effect with the MQA format in any way compared to a classical Hi rez flac file. Telling this, I'm using Roon player that manages pretty well MQA files even if the dac doesn't, so probably it counts. But really I would not chose a DAC for its MQA compatility.

Joker ! Strangely enough, the HD650 is the only Sennheiser from the HD6xx line that I have never owned. I have an HD600 though and it works very well with the Topping. My leitmotiv would be to say that the Topping reveal the best of all headphones that I have tried with it, and I didn't sleep last night because of that :facepalm:

ALIVE. I can't say better and this is extremely difficult to describe especially in english as it isn't my first language. To try to give you some insights though, what have impressed me from the first minute is how much "natural" it sounds. Natural doesn't means a lot, I know. Let's say that so far for me, all the DAC I have owned have always been "digital" sounding, except maybe the TotalDAC but it had so much distorsion on the other hand than I sold it without any regrets six months later. The Topping makes me forgetting that's i'm listening to a file. It provides music. Really, it can look like odd to say such, but I can't say it better. The sound is rich, full, detailed and accurate but never never never chemical or "digital". At least with the headphones I have tried so far.

Man, this little guy is a game changer for me, from A to Z. I told above that I have bought again a brand new HD800s because I had a good memory of the 800 and I have been extremely dispointed with my Audio-GD rig (Master 7 + Master 9). I was to send it back and then I found the review about the Topping, I ordered and recieved. Well, those are just different headphones. I have had a doubt this morning but it was linked to the symetrical output that, in my opinion, works less nicely than the 6.5 one with the 800s. I have switched since, and I can tell you that I will never let my 800s go even if I must now eat pastas during few months to finance it :facepalm: It is a lot of superlatives I know, and i'm not used to that, but really, it is such a slap compared to all that I have experienced so far that I'm a little bit extatic, I'm sorry for that. A sure thing is that this is a no brainer piece of hardware. I was tired to manage the interlinks all the time, to improve this or that continously, I just wanted to listen to my music. There's probably better beasts on the market but this one is a kind of "install it and forget it" stuff. Really, the HD800s is metamorphosed, and this is probably the best sound I have never had, even if I compare for example with a Stax rig based on a SR009 that I have owned for years.

So, yes, it is HIGHLY enjoyable :D:cool:

Hope this helps ;)

Very nice subjective review mate, thanks
I really want to try it out, but I hate buying things at list price, and the availability issues won't help in that regard :(
at 500€, I will push the 'buy" button right away, but 599€..... ahhhhh c'mon Topping and resellers, make something happen ;)

aarrel

So, if you allow me to do, I will try to answer you point by point in a total subjectiv way though;)

Long story short : Yes. But it depends upon which headphones we are using. Witht the HD800s, this is night and day, not that the Dragonfly sounds bad, it doesnt to my ears, I like it well. But the Topping plays in another league. Basically it brings life to everything and provide you Music where the Dragonfly ensure you to have a decent/good sound. I will talk more about the HD800s later on because there's a lot to say. When you take for example the Meze99 Classic, the difference is less vivid. Don't get me wrong, the Topping does marvels, but the Dragonfly is pretty ok as well. Easy to drive heaphones though except maybe the low register that needs to be tamed and this is where the Topping is clearly better. I would say that for me, the DAC part of the Topping is trully incredible while the amp part is very good. So if you are using clear and detailed headphones (what the Meze99 isn't), you can appreciate more the obvious difference. Could I live with a Dragonfly only ? No. Will I keep it and keep on using it ? For sure, it makes a good couple with my iPhone to listen on the go.

I will be clear : I totally don't care about the MQA format. I'm using Qobuz and Tidal and I'm fine with both of them. I have never had a Waow effect with the MQA format in any way compared to a classical Hi rez flac file. Telling this, I'm using Roon player that manages pretty well MQA files even if the dac doesn't, so probably it counts. But really I would not chose a DAC for its MQA compatility.

Joker ! Strangely enough, the HD650 is the only Sennheiser from the HD6xx line that I have never owned. I have an HD600 though and it works very well with the Topping. My leitmotiv would be to say that the Topping reveal the best of all headphones that I have tried with it, and I didn't sleep last night because of that :facepalm:

ALIVE. I can't say better and this is extremely difficult to describe especially in english as it isn't my first language. To try to give you some insights though, what have impressed me from the first minute is how much "natural" it sounds. Natural doesn't means a lot, I know. Let's say that so far for me, all the DAC I have owned have always been "digital" sounding, except maybe the TotalDAC but it had so much distorsion on the other hand than I sold it without any regrets six months later. The Topping makes me forgetting that's i'm listening to a file. It provides music. Really, it can look like odd to say such, but I can't say it better. The sound is rich, full, detailed and accurate but never never never chemical or "digital". At least with the headphones I have tried so far.

Man, this little guy is a game changer for me, from A to Z. I told above that I have bought again a brand new HD800s because I had a good memory of the 800 and I have been extremely dispointed with my Audio-GD rig (Master 7 + Master 9). I was to send it back and then I found the review about the Topping, I ordered and recieved. Well, those are just different headphones. I have had a doubt this morning but it was linked to the symetrical output that, in my opinion, works less nicely than the 6.5 one with the 800s. I have switched since, and I can tell you that I will never let my 800s go even if I must now eat pastas during few months to finance it :facepalm: It is a lot of superlatives I know, and i'm not used to that, but really, it is such a slap compared to all that I have experienced so far that I'm a little bit extatic, I'm sorry for that. A sure thing is that this is a no brainer piece of hardware. I was tired to manage the interlinks all the time, to improve this or that continously, I just wanted to listen to my music. There's probably better beasts on the market but this one is a kind of "install it and forget it" stuff. Really, the HD800s is metamorphosed, and this is probably the best sound I have never had, even if I compare for example with a Stax rig based on a SR009 that I have owned for years.

So, yes, it is HIGHLY enjoyable :D:cool:

Hope this helps ;)
Thank you for the long and detailed answer! Based on your experiences I'm now even more excited to try the unit out. I'll provide an update once I've received it and tried it out.

Focaliz3d

My pleasure, it’s already a good news if it is understandable despite my lack of vocabulary :p

galanakop

I am waiting for the genelec 8030c and I have in my possession the Sennheiser HD650 headphones as well as the 770 80ohm. I want to start a dac configuration that can work on both, my chi (genelec) different and my headphones.
I'm thinking about the Topping dx7 pro and gradually both from what I see and hear. What do you say I go ahead ???
I am also thinking about the market and the sub 7050c in the future. Will I be believed to be good with the dx7 pro ???
https://www.genelec.com/home-studio-songwriting/8030-7050-stereo-system#map
edit
Let me also say that I will work with my pc.Win 10

Last edited:

Focaliz3d

Thank you for the long and detailed answer! Based on your experiences I'm now even more excited to try the unit out. I'll provide an update once I've received it and tried it out.

Well I hope that my "review" is not biased by my bad epxperience with the Audio-GD rig, making me finding anything else better ! :p
But what I know at least is that I love what I'm hearing. Totally subjective but totally reliable for myself :) I'm already thinking to add afterward a "better" amp like the Monoprice mesured here, but I have no idea about what improvements it could bring, so i'm not in a hurry and in addition of that I am more in the position to think "If it isn't broken, don't fix it". What I own sounds awesome like it is and I barely dare to breath beside it by fear that it changes something :)

SweetLead

topping dx7 pro, RME ADI-2 DAC FS or matrix audio mini-i pro 3 ? Which have better sound quality ? I have sennheiser hd 660s. For enjoying in music and competitive PC gaming.

Last edited:

Lordi

Top Bottom