• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

Fish17

For those who don't know the crude looking DT150 (fitted with Velour DT100 pads)
fr-dt150-with-dt100-velours-pads.png

DT150 with DT100 pads:
dscn0137.jpg

A real workhorse that can take an enormous beating.
I found the treble quality is not very refined.
Yes... still sold new for €129.- + €16.- for the pads for those wondering.
Did they make the DT150 in grey? I've only seen them in black.

Which one is the velour pads? I think it's the T.
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/edt-100s.html
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/edt-100p.html
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/edt-100t.html

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would say the P pads are velour.
The guy that had them drop shipped to me said the pads were the velours ones but looking at the pictures I am quite certain the pads that were tested were the T version and not the P.
Chances are there may not be big audible differences between P and T but can't be sure. The biggest changes are probably the height and internal amount of 'air'.

I will updated my article.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does akg k371-bt accept balanced input?

The connector suggests this should be possible (4-pin mini XLR) which means it won't accept 3-pin mini XLR.
The strange thing is that the 3 cables that come with it are all TRS.
However, as this is a BT headphone as well it is highly likely the - of both drivers are connected making balanced impossible.
Maybe the plan was to also use the K371BT's microphone and maybe even one button remote using a 3.5mm TRRS but ditched the idea.
Maybe AKG plans to launch all future headphones with 4 pin connectors so owners can use headphones balanced as well... maybe AKG saw the balanced light ... finally.
We might know when new headphones come out.
I would guess one pin is not connected though.

Last edited:

Fish17

The guy that had them drop shipped to me said the pads were the velours ones but looking at the pictures I am quite certain the pads that were tested were the T version and not the P.
Chances are there may not be big audible differences between P and T but can't be sure. The biggest changes are probably the height and internal amount of 'air'.

Sounds like the DLT150 also has some L/R balance issues that would require some modding. Is that your experience?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not all DT150's are created equal.
It's possible there is some leakage around the connector.
Didn't check this though.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
@solderdude

How do the K371s compare to the Sennheiser HD560s?

I realise that they are very different, open v closed etc., but I've been looking at your site and comparing the graphs of the headphones I'm familiar with: Jay V-Jays, PortaPro, Focal Clear, HD650, K371 and they don't look a million miles away.

I love the sound of the K371s, but I just find them uncomfortable; my ears get too hot, whereas I'm familiar with the HD560s style; I had a pair of HD555 some time ago and found them very comfortable.

Should I find the trebble a bit hot, I may try your passive filter, do you sell just the parts? I would prefer to build the filter into the ear cup, rather than have a separate adapter.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@solderdude

I realise that they are very different, open v closed etc., but I've been looking at your site and comparing the graphs of the headphones I'm familiar with: Jay V-Jays, PortaPro, Focal Clear, HD650, K371 and they don't look a million miles away.

I love the sound of the K371s, but I just find them uncomfortable; my ears get too hot, whereas I'm familiar with the HD560s style; I had a pair of HD555 some time ago and found them very comfortable.

Should I find the trebble a bit hot, I may try your passive filter, do you sell just the parts? I would prefer to build the filter into the ear cup, rather than have a separate adapter.
(Just a quick thought, if you build the filter into the earcup, then is there a danger that whatever you put in there will effect how open the back of the headphone is, which will in turn potentially affect the frequency response just by virtue of the increased physical obstruction.....not sure on this, but figured I'd just drop it in).

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
(Just a quick thought, if you build the filter into the earcup, then is there a danger that whatever you put in there will effect how open the back of the headphone is, which will in turn potentially affect the frequency response just by virtue of the increased physical obstruction.....not sure on this, but figured I'd just drop it in).

It shouldn't have any effect, the volume components would add up to less than a couple of sugar lumps.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe AKG plans to launch all future headphones with 4 pin connectors so owners can use headphones balanced as well... maybe AKG saw the balanced light ... finally.
We might know when new headphones come out.
I would guess one pin is not connected though.

What’s so special about bridged (“balanced”) amps, and why would a sensitive headphone benefit?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The remark was about future AKG headphones in general, not a K371.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Tonally they are not very far apart. The K371 has a bit more extended bass.
Comfort and stereo image as well as the impractical cable of the K371 make the HD560S more desirable.
Still use it very often, sold the K371 quite quickly but admittedly not for sonic reasons.

Should I find the treble a bit hot, I may try your passive filter, do you sell just the parts? I would prefer to build the filter into the ear cup, rather than have a separate adapter.

I can supply components, built filter sections (to solder in the HD560S as I have done) or filter in extension cable.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Tonally they are not very far apart. The K371 has a bit more extended bass.
Comfort and stereo image as well as the impractical cable of the K371 make the HD560S more desirable.
Still use it very often, sold the K371 quite quickly but admittedly not for sonic reasons.

I can supply components, built filter sections (to solder in the HD560S as I have done) or filter in extension cable.

Thanks, I've been perfectly happy with all the other headphones I have or have had without messing with EQ, so chances are, I'll be fine with the 560s.

The only headphones I've had that I really didn't like was another of the Sennheiser HD5 series, the HD595, I think - it was a while back and I got rid of them pretty quickly. Whatever they were, I found them very thin sounding and so unpleasant that I couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have the 100T pads. Was not aware there were 100P pads as well. I might order a couple to test, if I find them. Perhaps they are a bit more comfortable than the 100P.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
My fifth purchase in 6 months due to ASR.

Liking the headphones, but not loving it. Seems like clarity is a little bit lacking, as compared my speakers setup.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bequietjk

@Fish17
0214211531_HDR.jpg

0214211532_HDR.jpg

I have a strong recommendation to use some foam to stuff into the cable connector. This helped my DT250 out TREMENDOUSLY and balanced out very well. You could use a single layer of 2mm foam (black) alone but I found stuffing 6mm foam (red) with the 2mm as well into the connector to be most effective.

Credit to diyaudioheaven and sbaf for this mod :]

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You could try Oratory's EQ for the K371, which would address the unevenness in the treble, thereby increasing the clarity:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ftqm1c13xjcqgv/AKG K371.pdf?dl=0
I am using my Samsung Note 9 adapt sound function to eq it based on my own hearings. Once adapt sound checks were completed, I got a custom sound profile specifically designed for my hearings and the headphones capabilities. Now the highs are better. My Samsung phone can also drive it to satisfactory sound level. I am happier now.

Thanks!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using my Samsung Note 9 adapt sound function to eq it based on my own hearings. Once adapt sound checks were completed, I got a custom sound profile specifically designed for my hearings and the headphones capabilities. Now the highs are better. My Samsung phone can also drive it to satisfactory sound level. I am happier now.

Thanks!
Ok, cool, don't know much about that particular EQ process and how valid it is, but good that you like it better.

Top Bottom