• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM60 Review (AV Processor)

walt99

Forum Donor
I most certainly do care, thanks for posting.

Although I see the A110 sells for twice the price of the AVM70 in my market. The Denon 6700H would have been more comparable.
The A110 cost me about $1500 more than the AVM70, no discounts to be found on the 70 but there are discounts available on the 110.
Also a 5yr warranty on the new Denon and it has the new HDMI board so a bit of future proofing.
Plus I avoided the cost of an external amp for the surrounds/center speaker.

I wanted this to be my 'end game' system and I ended up disappointed with the Anthem on a number of levels hence the decision to suck up the extra cost of the flagship Denon.

Last edited:

gattaca

^^^ As a general thought and not a direct comment on Anthem - most consumers are growing tired of being company "beta testers" and final QC agents for firms rushing products out their doors or those who delay, delay, delay and ship something - disappointing and not just minor nuisances or those who's reliability is *@(@*.

We've seen this way of operating increasingly in AV while it has been rampant in the computer / software industry for 30+ years. now. "We will fix it with the first patch, ship it to meet our date..." This pace of change is accelerating with the DevSecOps and "stick X into the cloud" mentality which promotes changes being dropped daily, weekly, monthly many times with little regard for the end-users ability to use it (UX) or those who value "it just works" / "stability" over 10 new buggy features. Users have few choices to but to accept the changing cluttered menus, with no-way-out to just have stability and "works...." as their priority over yet-more-bling. The pace of change is unrelenting and it becomes increasingly difficult to innovate because we are treading water just to keep up. Now I'm not advocating for "100% perfect" either but we have to find a better, more well tested balance on the scale.

While I own an AVM60 and have been generally happy with the features, I've always felt it should have been better value for the price. Maybe it's too cynical to think that way - IDK. Who do we trust to deliver what they promise with reliability, availability and serviceability - at an reasonable price? IDK - that is growing harder.

I will continue watching this thread for what I consider an important outcome to explain Amir's results. Maybe this comment deserves a new thread, if so I'll move it. Stay safe, stay alive. Get Vaccinated. Peace.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 110 is really expensive here and I'm not sure if it's worth the money. Perhaps an updated 8500 would be a more sensible deal, offering similar performance for a lot less money?

I was also looking at the AVM70, but cautiously, given my previous experience with a home demo of an MRX720, which was basically unusable due to bugs. Seeing the launch of the AVM70 which I can best describe as a train wreck, I am very disappointed with their approach. This is amateur hour for premium prices. I just need something that works, my wife won't do factory resets and re-run ARC every time the thing stops working, she would hit me over the head with it, considering it's over $4k.

Amir's review of the 60 further dispelled any notions of good engineering.

It's a shame really, the MRX sounded good when it worked, certainly better than my Marantz, and ARC is an interesting room EQ solution. But Anthem, despite being in the Paradigm/Martin Logan behemoth still operates like a boutique company.

Pioneer used to make some nice stuff but YPAO was left in the dust, and the new stuff is pitiful.

Let's see if Pioneer/Onkyo manage to regroup from the ashes with these new Dirac receivers. Otherwise it's just Denon.

tparm

Forum Donor
Just a quick follow up to my post above, not that anyone cares, specs aside the 70 had enough issues that I couldn't deal with it anymore.

So I returned the 70 and went with a Denon AVR A110, performance/operation of the A110 has been flawless.... it sounds as good or better, the remote is much nicer, the UI is better, the remote app works perfect (didn't work at all on the Anthem), the build quality is MUCH better, it has built in amps for surround, you get the idea. Glad I moved on, now I can just enjoy the music and stop trying to fix the anthem.
I love the thought and nostalgia factor of the A110 yet I can’t justify the price over an 8500 (which I am purchasing for many of the reasons you’d listed above). Simply out of curiosity why did you choose the 110 over the 8500? Aside from the two speaker presets I can’t see any features that would convince me it is worth the extra money. That combined with any step up in performance probably not being audible quickly caused me to switch my interest to the 8500. Hopefully you’ll send yours to Amir for testing. Thanks.

Sent PM, sorry this is off topic.

Last edited:

walt99

Forum Donor
I love the thought and nostalgia factor of the A110 yet I can’t justify the price over an 8500 (which I am purchasing for many of the reasons you’d listed above). Simply out of curiosity why did you choose the 110 over the 8500? Aside from the two speaker presets I can’t see any features that would convince me it is worth the extra money. That combined with any step up in performance probably not being audible quickly caused me to switch my interest to the 8500. Hopefully you’ll send yours to Amir for testing. Thanks.

Sent PM, sorry this is off topic.
I struggled with the decision between 8500/A110 as well. After reading and watching everything I could find on the A110 I decided that I was willing to pay the extra for the higher quality of the A110. As an old bench electronics tech that started off in TV and audio (now do aircraft stuff) I seriously value the importance of high quality components, circuit boards and build quality to longevity. One of the 'upgrades' to the A110 is thicker circuit boards/traces, these can be a real problem area so this particular feature was a biggie for me. Adding the extended warranty to 5 yrs means they have higher faith in the product. The unit is 75% 2 channel in pure direct mode and 25% approx movies. I don't use 90% of the features in the unit, I just want to turn it on and have it work which makes it so the wife can use it too so WAF is high! This is where the Anthem fell flat.

I could care less about the 100th anniversary logo (unit is in a cabinet anyway), I just wanted the highest quality unit I could afford that had good 2 channel sound and could also do movies. Currently run 5.0 and probably won't add anymore speakers, happy with the sound the way it is. One thing that bothered me a little with the 8500 is you see a number of 'B' units out there, that to me means those units are getting returned and then repaired for some reason, is that a valid assumption, maybe not but that's how I see it. I'm clicking on 70 pretty soon, had a little extra cash and decided I was going to get my 'end game' system.

I can tell you that I am absolutely in love with my new system which is the Revel f328BE driven by the A110 and Benchmark AHB2 streaming from Tidal, Node 2i and Gustard X16 DAC, I am totally digging it and could not be happier! Streaming has opened up a whole new world of music for me, I've basically retired all my albums and CD's. Sitting on the couch picking music from my Ipad is so cool I'm still amazed at it.

Anyway after a couple of weeks with the A110 I can't find anything not to like.
A big thanks to Amir and ASR for helping me put this together!!

Last edited:

ctakim

Forum Donor
I struggled with the decision between 8500/A110 as well. After reading and watching everything I could find on the A110 I decided that I was willing to pay the extra for the higher quality of the A110. As an old bench electronics tech that started off in TV and audio (now do aircraft stuff) I seriously value the importance of high quality components, circuit boards and build quality to longevity. One of the 'upgrades' to the A110 is thicker circuit boards/traces, these can be a real problem area so this particular feature was a biggie for me. Adding the extended warranty to 5 yrs means they have higher faith in the product. The unit is 75% 2 channel in pure direct mode and 25% approx movies. I don't use 90% of the features in the unit, I just want to turn it on and have it work which makes it so the wife can use it too so WAF is high! This is where the Anthem fell flat.

I could care less about the 100th anniversary logo (unit is in a cabinet anyway), I just wanted the highest quality unit I could afford that had good 2 channel sound and could also do movies. Currently run 5.0 and probably won't add anymore speakers, happy with the sound the way it is. One thing that bothered me a little with the 8500 is you see a number of 'B' units out there, that to me means those units are getting returned and then repaired for some reason, is that a valid assumption, maybe not but that's how I see it. I'm clicking on 70 pretty soon, had a little extra cash and decided I was going to get my 'end game' system.

I can tell you that I am absolutely in love with my new system which is the Revel f328BE driven by the A110 and Benchmark AHB2 streaming from Tidal, Node 2i and Gustard X16 DAC, I am totally digging it and could not be happier! Streaming has opened up a whole new world of music for me, I've basically retired all my albums and CD's. Sitting on the couch picking music from my Ipad is so cool I'm still amazed at it.

How are you interfacing the Benchmark AHB2, which I presume is for 2 channel listening relative to the A110 which I presume is for home theater audio? You have a wonderful set of kit by the way!!!!

Based on the upgrades I've read made to the A110 it seems very easy to justify the A110's extra cost. No doubt, it is a premium, genuine flagship product. Regarding preferring the A110 to the MRX1140, I wonder if choosing would have been as easy if you were running a 7.2.4 system vs your 5.0 set up. I guess to some extent it's a matter of a bird in hand vs two in the bush since the Anthem's value proposition is still a long way from being fully delivered.

Last edited:

walt99

Forum Donor
How are you interfacing the Benchmark AHB2, which I presume is for 2 channel listening relative to the A110 which I presume is for home theater audio? You have a wonderful set of kit by the way!!!!
I run the front pre-outs from the A110 to the AHB2, all the amps on the 110 are turned off except the center and surrounds.
Another thing that is nice when running 2 ch pure-direct for music that function turns off the display and analog video circuits to reduce noise... nice.

walt99

Forum Donor
Based on the upgrades I've read made to the A110 it seems very easy to justify the A110's extra cost. No doubt, it is a premium, genuine flagship product. Regarding preferring the A110 to the MRX1140, I wonder if choosing would have been as easy if you were running a 7.2.4 system vs your 5.0 set up. I guess to some extent it's a matter of a bird in hand vs two in the bush since the Anthem's value proposition is still a long way from being fully delivered.
I tried to like the Anthem, I first tried a 720 which had some issues, then a 740 which also had issues, then figured go all out and try the AVM70 with an old 5 ch amp I had, I figured the top of the line unit must work better and the budget units were just a little buggy?

Well the sound was good when they worked however ARC was just a joke on the 740/70, I tried it but had to do reboots/software reloads just to get the sound back to normal. Then at least half the time on movies the center channel was gone, would take multiple iterations of pwr off/switching modes etc. to get it to work, just became such a pain I would turn it off and use the TV's speakers, wife was like "what the hell honey you spent how much on this thing"!

So for that much money I don't think it is too much to ask that it works as advertised. So far the Denon works perfect, no surprises, wife is happy!.

rccarguy

I'd bet a £1000 stereo integrated amp with internal dac will outclass the Denon avr.

rccarguy

What is the purpose of your post? I can't think of any integrated amps that would out class his combo. Especially when its time to watch a movie. ;)

In stereo mode it would

Reason why I use av pre amp and stereo dac and stereo analogue pre, the two box dac and stereo pre outclass the av pre.

Av pre isn't bad but the "cone of sound" is far wider on the stereo pre, height and width definetly superior

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Av pre isn't bad but the "cone of sound" is far wider on the stereo pre, height and width definetly superior
Have you ever heard music recorded in immersive formats (Atmos or Auro3d)?

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I only have 7.1 DD/DTS system.

Just comparing stereo hifi versus avr in pure direct mode
Stereo is a vintage format. A touch better than Mono.

rccarguy

Stereo is a vintage format. A touch better than Mono.

I just have red book audio flac files on Squeezebox for music.

A few audio concerts, Kraftwerk minimum maximum and Dido live in Brixton are excellent DTS mixes. Don't have sacd.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Multichannel music has a much much better feel of
height and width
than stereo. Immersive is even better.

I find it bizarre that we are still discussing about Stereo equipment in 2021. Like discussing about Black and White TVs.

rccarguy

Multichannel music has a much much better feel of

than stereo. Immersive is even better.

I find it bizarre that we are still discussing about Stereo equipment in 2021. Like discussing about Black and White TVs.

I do use logic 7 music or music surround to expand stereo to 7.1 does a good job, and even for mono movies it's brill.

2 channel I think has its place when original content is recorded on that

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
2 channel I think has its place when original content is recorded on that
Do you listen to old Mono recordings using only one speaker?

rccarguy

Do you listen to old Mono recordings using only one speaker?

Seven samurai expanded to 7.1 using Mono logic does sound very good.

Mono recordings typically dual mono, but I suppose a purist would use a gramophone!

Top Bottom