• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

enricoh

Guys, what will be the better option please?

1) RPi4 ropieee usb connected to dac, dac to amplifier or
2) Allo DigiOne player ropiee connected via COAX to dac, dac to amp

Want to use Roon.

vrobec

Want to use Roon.

I think the 1st option is better.

vrobec

I got this DAC and noticed 4700uF 6.3V Nichicon FW caps. Some pictures on net shows the same FW caps but 10V value.

Attachments

• SMSL caps.png
    SMSL caps.png
    972 KB · Views: 447

Zaratustra#31

I received mine yesterday. Black color.
Initial purchase motivation was to check the s/pdif interface of my CD player not recognize by my Soncoz SDG1.
It works like a charm with the Sanskrit. And I like the sound it delivers. I am now seriously considering keeping it :)
I have just started the design of a dedicated power supply matching the sanskrit case. I will share this soon.

igfarm

I have this DAC connected via usb to RPi4 ropieee, and I am no able to play DSD files. I get noise out of the speakers. The Topping E30 does work however with the same setup. Is anyone having similar issue?

Zaratustra#31

Here is the small power supply I quickly made this week-end for the Sanskrit. Same shape / dimension than the DAC.
My amplifier has a USB port to power a Bluetooth accessory. I could have use it to directly power the DAC but instead I used it to switch ON/OFF the DAC's custom power supply .
Thanks to this, powering ON / OFF the amplifier does the same on the DAC.

The swith has 3 positions : 0 = OFF, I = always ON, II = ON when amplifier is ON.

Attachments

• 20210222_184750.jpg
    20210222_184750.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 533
  • 20210222_184754.jpg
    20210222_184754.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 575
  • 20210222_184828.jpg
    20210222_184828.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 511

Veri

Master Contributor
Here is the small power supply I quickly made this week-end for the Sanskrit. Same shape / dimension than the DAC.
My amplifier has a USB port to power a Bluetooth accessory. I could have use it to directly power the DAC but instead I used it to switch ON/OFF the DAC's custom power supply .
Thanks to this, powering ON / OFF the amplifier does the same on the DAC.

The swith has 3 positions : 0 = OFF, I = always ON, II = ON when amplifier is ON.
Looks quite nice!

Steamrolly

No external power. Just one USB cable for power and data.
I have reviewed this thread and I don't believe that this question has been asked, maybe there isn't any benefit. I am considering SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2 to be used with my Aiyima A07 and RPi 3B+. The RPi is powered with an Argon ONE 5.25v 3A power supply. Would there be any advantage at all to use two USB cables between the DAC and the RPi over one? One for power and one for the digital signal.

brimble

Forum Donor
I have reviewed this thread and I don't believe that this question has been asked, maybe there isn't any benefit. I am considering SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2 to be used with my Aiyima A07 and RPi 3B+. The RPi is powered with an Argon ONE 5.25v 3A power supply. Would there be any advantage at all to use two USB cables between the DAC and the RPi over one? One for power and one for the digital signal.

Amir found this DAC to be transparent (i.e. perfect to within the limits of hearing) using the same cable for audio and for power \o/

(See the 11th comment in this thread)

Steamrolly

Amir found this DAC to be transparent (i.e. perfect to within the limits of hearing) using the same cable for audio and for power \o/
Thanks, I just ordered one. I have been debating between a RPi HifiBerry hat, D10s, E30 or a SMSL 10th Mk2 for too long and finally just bought one. I will try it both ways but I doubt I will notice any difference.

vrobec

This little SMSL is a very good and cheap DAC. It realy shines in it's price class. I have 6 sk10 mkII's in use in my family. Strange the 3 black colored dacs have 4700uF 10V blue caps, the blue and red units have Nichicon UFW 4700uF 6.5V caps.

brimble

Forum Donor
Strange the 3 black colored dacs have 4700uF 10V blue caps, the blue and red units have Nichicon UFW 4700uF 6.5V caps.

Interesting! But easily explained in retrospect. The black units are more likely to be bought by people who play death metal.

Steamrolly

This little SMSL is a very good and cheap DAC. It realy shines in it's price class. I have 6 sk10 mkII's in use in my family. Strange the 3 black colored dacs have 4700uF 10V blue caps, the blue and red units have Nichicon UFW 4700uF 6.5V caps.
So for the uneducated on capacitors having a black SK10 M2 with potentially the 4700uF 10V no name caps verse the Nichicon, as advertised, what is the impact? I don't plan to open mine up to confirm I just want to understand the potential performance impact good or bad.

BTW, I don't listen to death metal :cool: my rationale for the colour was:
1. it matches the rest of my system and
2. version one didn't come in black.

higui

Want to use Roon.

I tried both usb via raspberry 3B+ and spidf via Allo DigiOne (and LPSU for.powering the dac).
Initally Allo sounded more interesting in mid ranges, more full and spacious, but It was lacking of high details and sparkle. Don't know of it is due to the dac itself or the allo, but at lower volume levels everything sounded muddy.
I'm now using usb via raspberry, where the whole response is more linear and precise, bass is deep and controlled and highs are very detailed. A good usb cable made the difference in my setup.

Last edited:

KTN46

LOL ... that's the true ... believe it or not ...

What you call "true" may subjectively represent your experiences, but you'd have to do a bit more work than saying "I swear I heard a difference!" to prove that your experiences represent reality.

Veri

Master Contributor
LOL ... that's the true ... believe it or not ...
I have a decent (not overpriced) USB cable with ferrites. I'm sure it's constructed well and has no noise issues. But I'm certain it doesn't make any concrete "difference", haha.

Top Bottom