• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

vrobec

I have Volumio on rpi4+smsl sk10 miii on usb (input 1). On dac's optical (input 2) I have a ps4 console. When switched back from input 2 to input 1 I have to restart my rpi4 to get sound again. Are there a solution to keep input 1 alive, and not need for restart?

mkeesmaat

I have Volumio on rpi4+smsl sk10 miii on usb (input 1). On dac's optical (input 2) I have a ps4 console. When switched back from input 2 to input 1 I have to restart my rpi4 to get sound again. Are there a solution to keep input 1 alive, and not need for restart?

On MoOde I have the same problem. Restart of MPD get it going again, but would be very nice if there possibility to change input from software, but it needs probable a firmware update from SMSL for that?

I would be really curious to know how this (SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II) compare against Topping D10s.
I see everywhere compared against the Topping E30 but seems no one (that Google could find) did a comparison to the same priced D10s.
I see both reviews and results seems similar, D10s have a better multi-tone chart while the SMSL little better Intermodulation Distortion.

Personally, I do not care about different inputs since I will be use just USB and RCA out. Also no pre-amp function or remote needed, they will probably will be used at a desk. Also, in Europe I see they are priced basically the same +-5 euro depending on the day/offer.
So strictly pure performance speaking, even if are both entry level DACs, what should I buy/consider?

Thanks in advanced.

darkfin

i got mine two days ago. I am not happy how this sound. I noticed i hear something disturbing sometimes. sound littlebit sharp and graggy. I stopped music and put volume up, i start to hear bad graggy disturbing. I take rca cables off. all that sound disappeared immediately. I conneted that dac using usb with my pc.i also testet my smsl su-8 dac. that not get any wierd extrasound my pc usb slots. I also use extrenlal power suply with smsl 10t mk2.

testet connect same rca cables , with my phone. I dont get that bad noises

sry, my english skills. not my native language. Maybe someone understand what i try to say

Gremlins

Hello every one

I face a little trouble with my dac or Daphile?

I own a sanskrit mk2 and i am using Daphile to read my files

I canot read DSD files type .DSF

I mean daphile seems to read them but the sound coming out in speaker is unlistenable

Any idea?

linuxfan

Gremlins, you should provide some more information - I must assume that your Daphile device is connected directly to the DAC via USB? And normal PCM audio tracks play fine, right?
Also you should provide your configuration details you see in Daphile's "Settings" > "Audio Devices" menu. Example screenshot attached.

settings_audio_devices.png

In the "DSD Support" section you should be able to choose either true DSD, or DSD-over-PCM (DoP) since your DAC supports both of these modes. I suggest you try both.
And I think for DSD you should have "Volume control: Off-BitPerfect playback"

And finally, where did you source your .dsf files? If you extracted them from an SACD ISO, it's very important to decompress the DST compression during the extraction process (using the "-c" parameter) since DSD-compatible playback applications are rarely capable of playing compressed .dsf files.

linuxfan

Gremlins, here are the "Audio Devices" settings which I think you should use. Note that I have selected the "DSD-over-PCM (DoP)" setting, since this is the only one possible with my particular USB interface, but you could (and probably should) also try the "Native DSD bitstream" setting.

Daphile-audio-settings.jpg

Gremlins

Thanks a lot for your support

I tested your settings, they work fine with dsf file, but then i loose volume wich i am using.
Thanks again

linuxfan

I have no need to tick the HDCD: Enable decoder box - because the albums in my collection which were sourced from HDCD-encoded CD's were decoded (using hdcd.exe) prior to being saved as FLAC. From memory this is mainly my Boz Scaggs CD's. If you inspect any of these FLAC files, you will see they are all 24bit 44.1kHz. This is in the interests of "future-proofing" because I may, or may not, have a music playback system in the future which can decode HDCD on-the-fly.

I don't actually use Daphile as a playback system, I only temporarily installed it out of curiosity.
My computer playback system utilises an isolated/reclocked I2S signal from a BeagleBone Black, running Music Player Daemon.

linuxfan

Oh, the same principle applies with the de-emphasis setting - for the handful of CD's in my collection which have pre-emphasis, I applied a de-emphasis filter prior to saving those tracks as FLAC. I used the de-emphasis equalizer plugin from iZotope Ozone 5 - this was possibly overkill, but I already had this software on hand. For anyone else needing CD de-emphasis, the equivalent equalizer setting in sox is well regarded -
http://sox.sourceforge.net/

Haze

I bought one of these to integrate my consoles into my main system via optical but I am having a wee bit of a problem. Sometimes when I touch the device it shuts itself off for a split second. I am assuming I am shorting it somehow. Would this indicate a grounding issue or that I am somehow carrying a whole lot of static?

SOUNDSONIC

I bought one of these to integrate my consoles into my main system via optical but I am having a wee bit of a problem. Sometimes when I touch the device it shuts itself off for a split second. I am assuming I am shorting it somehow. Would this indicate a grounding issue or that I am somehow carrying a whole lot of static?

Hmmn...strange. Please indicate and elaborate your setup so somebody knowledgeable can diagnose the problem. Thanks,

Haze

Hmmn...strange. Please indicate and elaborate your setup so somebody knowledgeable can diagnose the problem. Thanks,

Plugged into a usb 3.0 port on the back on my pc, connected to my JDS Atom via RCA. The dac is connected to an external power supply. All plugged into the same power strip. Nothing too unusual really.

Paspolc

Hello audiophiles,
could you recommend me a good usb cable to connect the Sanskrit to the laptop?
I noticed that the Sanskrit dac is very sensitive to the quality of the cables, in fact initially it did not recognize a usb cable, perhaps a little cheap.

Thanks.
P.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i'ts got nothing to do with "quality" of the cables, besides the length of the micro usb connector (it does have a recessed port so it needs a longer connector)

Paspolc

(it does have a recessed port so it needs a longer connector)

What does it mean, if you don't mind?

P.

Top Bottom