• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics 80 Watt Class D Amp Review

pma

Major Contributor
You don't need to wonder. Go check out the specs of the 2100.

(I would not be over optimistic re McIntosh tube poweramp measurements.) Correction - 2100 is solid state

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-mc275-power-amplifier-measurements

1010Macfig06.jpg

It is just physics, John.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27694

Just out of curiosity since I have no technical knowledge. Is this something people should and would hear in a blind test? So if you level volume and compare it with something that measures much better there is an audible difference?
Is it so that the average person would notice it or do you only notice it with well trained ears?
Thank you!

pma

Major Contributor
Just out of curiosity since I have no technical knowledge. Is this something people should and would hear in a blind test? So if you level volume and compare it with something that measures much better there is an audible difference?
Is it so that the average person would notice it or do you only notice it with well trained ears?
Thank you!

In many cases not. The biggest problem is the frequency response modulation by speaker impedance, so it will depend on complex impedance of the speaker used so the DBT difference is possible depending on speaker. Except for that, the amp will be fine for a common user.

D

Deleted member 27694

In many cases not. The biggest problem is the frequency response modulation by speaker impedance, so it will depend on complex impedance of the speaker used. Except for that, the amp will be fine for a common user.
Thank you!

JSmith

Master Contributor
So if you level volume and compare it with something that measures much better there is an audible difference?
So there are products with almost double the SINAD figures of this amp... so yes there will be a measurable and audible difference here IMO, YMMV.

Would you really buy it and sit there happy knowing how poor this is? I couldn't...

JSmith

pma

Major Contributor
It would be insane value if it was 75-80 SINAD.

SINAD measure is close to useless and in such level has no correlation to listening, if it is not hum and hum/buzz is hopefully not the case here. If I had it in place, I would make an A/B test of this power amp. Amir might try some listening.

The Capstan

Well, with approx 40$ more you can get the Loxjie A30 with also digital inputs, that’s a completely different story performance wise.
Interesting the fact that the Amazon can be bridged and used in dual mono. Quite unusual for this category, I think...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD measure is close to useless and in such value has no correlation to listening, if it is not hum and hum/buzz is hopefully not the case here. If I had it in place, I would make an A/B test of this power amp. Amir might try some listening.

I would typically agree, but below 70 SINAD i think audibility can very quickly becomes a concern.

Crosstalk as well is problematic.

D

Deleted member 27694

So there are products with almost double the SINAD figures of this amp... so yes there will be a measurable and audible difference here IMO, YMMV.

Would you really buy it and sit there happy knowing how poor this is? I couldn't...

JSmith
Thank you. If it is for my untrained ears with my Klipsch rf82 not audible i honestly would not care about things that can be measured.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. If it is for my untrained ears with my Klipsch rf82 not audible i honestly would not care about things that can be measured.

You don’t need trained ears to hear noise though, Class A/B usually has lower noise floor but really bad (in comparison) distortion that brings their SINAD score closer to the 77 mean on this forum.

Hearing distortion is quite difficult (since your speakers distort too and probably more than the amp itself), but every one experienced twitter hiss at least once in their lives.

So depending on how sensitive your speakers are you might actually hear twitter hiss from this amp.

D

Deleted member 27694

You don’t need trained ears to hear noise though, Class A/B usually has lower noise floor but really bad (in comparison) distortion that brings their SINAD score closer to the 77 mean on this forum.

Hearing distortion is quite difficult (since your speakers distort too and probably more than the amp itself), but every one experienced twitter hiss at least once in their lives.

So depending on how sensitive your speakers are you might actually hear twitter hiss from this amp.
Thank you! Very helpful: So depending on the speakers people in a blind test should hear a difference.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Crosstalk may be academically bad, but when does that stop vinyl lovers raving about width of soundtsage in a cartridge with 30 - 35dB separation maximum in the midrange. Distortion levels are about the same as some popular UK amps from the 70's (so glad some of them didn't find their way to the US in any real quantity :D ) with only the response/level changes into different speaker loads being a real caution (would be good if Amir could resurrect the artificial speaker load as per Stereophile).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what gives class D amps a bad rep...

PeteL

Major Contributor
Thank you!
If you hook it up to these you may fail a blind test on which amp sound better
1614849889885.png

Top Bottom